Making A Rabbit Fur Coat(for the Dog)(Progress Pictures Pg2)

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bad Habit":1kmyk8bo said:
omg I should totally trace the bomber coat pattern and mail it to you. It fits Chuck perfectly, and he is shih tzu in his body type. Legs are a bit longer, but come out of his chest like the shih tzu, and he's very... thick. Not fat, but he's got the broad build of the shih tzu. [/b]

That would be so cool!

1604444_10152096547422319_836333146_n.jpg

Hides soaking in the brine, they've been there for about 72hrs.

1601288_10152096547597319_1621873214_n.jpg

Left - Unfleshed hide after 3 days tanning. Right - fleshed hide after 3 days tanning. White junk in the corner is what came off the fleshed hide

I dunno how well I did in fleshing the hides, as the instructions I've found don't show a good picture of the difference. I found that I did it mostly by hand, and rarely used the knife, as I tended to pierce the hide when using the knife. Took me about an hour and a half to do all 4 hides. I ended up cutting the tail off and will preserve it the same way as I am doing the feet.

I'm finding more hair falling off now that it is fleshed... I'm hoping that this is simply loose hair that didn't get caught in the 2nd rinse, from the few(okay, many) places I accidentally pierced the hide, and not an indication that I took too much off when fleshing and exposed the hair root.

The hides don't look like you've taken them to far. The skins will always shed a bit, but usually hair slippage is very distinct. You can be working a piece and all of a sudden you get an area the size of a dime or larger where all of the hair just falls out at once. Three days in a brine shouldn't do that, unless the hides were sitting around unfrozen for a long time before you got them into the brine.

Nope, they came off the rabbit and into a bin of cold water. Then out of the bin of cold water to be rinsed. Then into the brine.

This is just hair I'm noticing on the spoon when I mix the skins around.

I can't get over how much they stretched!

Latest posts

Back