Lost cat

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eco2pia

Staff member
Reaction score
Last night my blind 16 year old indoor cat wandered out a door that was left open and dissappeared into the sunset. I have had him longer than my children. I have had him longer than my husband. I held him and cried when my first marriage broke up. His breathing helped me learn to sleep alone. I owned his mother before him. I have had him since before I could legally drink. I knew one day he would leave me, but I thought I had a few years left.

I am not taking it well.

There is a slim hope someone kind will find him and return him, but I have a strong feeling he may have been on life #9. I guess you guys might understand. I didn't think it would hit me this hard.

It's raining.

Oh, I am so sorry. It can be so hard to lose some one close to us, esspessially sometimes when they are furry. Sending loads o fgood feelings and happiness your way!

Hang in there, ok?

((HUGS))

(((HUGS)))

I lost a young handicapped cat last summer - and mourned dear Arley deeply too ...

I hoep your friend comes back none the worse for wear - it's certainly worth putting flyers out and maybe an add in your local paper - I hear amaing stories about cats coming home quite regularly (I work with local shelters and miracles do happen)

fingers crossed and I'll send get home energy your way too - keep us posted

Thanks all. Just sad. We posted flyers, and e-mailed our local shelter, but can't do anything else until Tuesday, as it is a holiday and everything is closed.

I didn't find him on the road, but he's blind, how far could he go? He could get lost in a bedroom if we moved furniture, would just sit and cry and wait to be rescued. I can't believe he got out of the yard, he can't jump any more. There is only one 6 inch gap. He has never been out of this house in the 5 years we've lived here.

I just wish I could bury him, say good-bye. This is harder, not knowing. I imagine him waiting somewhere in the rain, stuck in a corner, wondering why we don't come.

You've probably already done this, but do try going out walking and calling to him - and then stopping and listening. He may be hiding some place and would answer you. It's a long shot... but you'll feel better if you try again.

I just now saw this. I'm so sorry you are going through this. Not knowing is excruciating. I've been there. I'll keep my fingers crossed that he comes home to you or you at least get some closure.

Thanks, its been really hard on my kids, especially the 7 year old. It is hard to explain to her why the rest of us don't expect him to come back, and why he might choose to leave if he felt his time was near. I am usually so pragmatic about animals, but this was one special cat, truly a member of the family. I sure have appreciated everyone's sympathy, and I needed to tell somebody who would understand--my husband never liked the cat, and the kids didn't need to see Mom bawling.

But they are animals and they just don't live as long as we do. I am finally getting to the place where I can just be grateful for 16 good years, and glad I didn't have to be the one to make the decision to put him down--and it would have been my job. That really is a huge last blessing from him.

I, also, just saw this thread :( I"m soooo sorry. Animals can be come so VERY special to us.

At 16....I'd be inclined to think you're right about the cat knowing it was time to find his "place" to die. They seem to know it's time, and want a place that's alone and hidden. At a guess, he just curled up in a corner somewhere under a porch or pile of lumber and went to sleep. I've seen that happen with a number of species over the years.

Peace to you and your family.

Take solace perhaps in this.... cats often know when it's "their time to go". He probably left to have that solace to pass along peacefully. I know that it is hard and just heart-wrenching because you can't just say Good bye beloved buddy, but with cats sometimes that is just they do.

Hugs to you. I know it is difficult.

I'm so sorry to hear about your cat... the cat I grew up with from the time he was a kitten went to live out west with my brother when my parents moved. Mac never went outside except by accident, and he was scared anytime he found himself outside. One day, my brother carried him outside to show a friend. After a couple of minutes, Mac got really spooked and leapt from my brother's arms and ran off into the desert. It was summertime. My brother tried for some time to find him, but to no avail. It was very sad for us to think of Mac and what had befallen him.

I guess I said all that just to say, I know exactly how you feel. :( (((HUGS)))

:p You aren't gonna believe this, after a week and a half, I got my kitty back!!

My brother was driving home (lives 9 blocks away) and thought he spotted him in an intersection. Gave me a call and I ran out to check, telling everyone it was an unlikely wild goose chase.

Sure enough there was my cat, walking in confused circles next to the same intersection 5 blocks from home. I started talking to him and he just laid down and started howling. He is skinny and has fleas, and drank a gallon of water when he got home, but otherwise seems fine. I am so happy!! :D

Chalk this one up to a miracle, I can't believe he made it that long blind at 16 years old...I'd have thought he'd be hit by a car or eaten by a dog for sure.

Latest posts

Back