Lost a baby to cold, bring others in w/o nestbox?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LauraNJ

Reaction score
Can I bring babies inside, leave the empty nestbox in the cage?

The mini rexes are in premade cages, the doors are small. In order to get nestboxes in I removed a side of the cage. I knew when I did it that it was stupid, even had thought that I really should just cut the door opening bigger and make a new door but I did not.

So, lost a baby to the cold, found this morning half hanging out of the cage, managed to revive it somewhat but it died a few hours later. There are only 2 remaining kits in that nest and we are under a frost advisory tonight.

The other mini rex litter is 8 days old, and although Isabella has done really great so far with them, they are moving alot and when I just checked on them, they felt a little cold, they had managed to push the fur off of them. I recovered them but I am thinking it would just be safer to remove them and bring them in.

Is this going to be a huge deal if I take the babies, put them in a box, bring them in and leave the actual nestboxes in the cages? I am kicking myself for not redoing the door.

LauraNJ":3qrvtmcl said:
Is this going to be a huge deal if I take the babies, put them in a box, bring them in and leave the actual nestboxes in the cages?

It shouldn't be. I have done this before so a doe could add to the nest if she wanted to.

Are your cages outdoors or in a shed/garage? We had that same worry with our SF litter last week with the cold snap so late in the spring. Our doe did not pull fur (she actually just pulled fur today 7 days after birth), so we were tempted to bring the babies inside. But we went out and bought a red heat lamp that they use for chicks and put that 15 inch away from the nestbox and the kits were cozy and survived in just straw and cotton balls with the additional heat. If they're outside, I have no advice on that end.

They're in a screened in attached porch. We covered the screening with clear plastic, except for a small portion. It is slightly warmer in there than outside but it is already below 40 degrees and now they are saying 30f. I just can't take a chance I lose any more babies.

I pulled Isabella's who were warm on their undersides but their backs were cold. They keep moving around so much that they keep moving the fur to the edges. Isabella didn't looked thrilled but once I went inside, she went and ate and then laid down so apparently not traumatic at all.

I was considering leaving Sarah's babies because they were under alot of fur but there are only the 2 of them and since I lost once at some point last night/this morning early, I decided to pull them too.

It was interesting that Isabella's kits were really squirming around in the nestbox but once they felt the inside of the house, they all quieted down, stretched out and are all asleep.

Bonus is I get to see the babies better. I believe I have a tort. Very orange colored with blue/gray shading on face, legs, lower sides. That one started out as a broken (at least that is how it looked to me). Pink with blue/gray spots all over. I thought I had a broken blue, then one day the fur came in and it changed to an orange bunny. So we had a color change fairy visit us. :)

I brought my babies in the first couple nights, but left them out during the day. When the nights stopped getting down to -10 I left them out. Doing fine :) But it was way more of a hassle having them in since I have a raw fed cat and a toddler.

Whipple":2kgj9mol said:
I brought my babies in the first couple nights, but left them out during the day. When the nights stopped getting down to -10 I left them out. Doing fine :) But it was way more of a hassle having them in since I have a raw fed cat and a toddler.

I hear you about the toddler. We have 6 kids, the 2 yr old twins being my surprise finale. Also have 2 cats and a dog.

But, bringing the kits in worked great for me. I brought them in late, after the twins were asleep and I can close off the hallway to the bedrooms so dog was in the back of house, one cat with my older son, one cat in the sunroom, kits in kitchen on back of counter.

Last night got down to about 30F but with the windchill it felt much colder. These are my first rabbit litters and if I can prevent a death, I will. I'm probably bringing kits in tonight. THey've been out since this morning in the nestbox.

I find it easier to have the nestbox in an indoor cage. The mother doe is brought in daily for feeding. Works great unless you have a doe that don't like being handled.

Latest posts

Back