Looking for a New Breed

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunnychild

Reaction score
After four years with Jersey Woolies and only two litters, I am ready to throw in the towel and look for a new breed. I loved my French Lops when I had them but they are too big to manage so something small would be better, and not as wooly as a JW.
If you have any suggestions please tell me, and maybe include some information (like size of cages, availability and feeding needs)
Thanks so much :)

What do you want in a rabbit? There are dozens of breeds. Commercial types being one of the most common and then the smaller compacts which can be posed like commercial or like a netherland or holland lop. Try narrowing it down some with this http://www.raising-rabbits.com/types-of-rabbits.html There are sizes, colors, and personality differences within each group except cylindrical that only includes the himalayan breed.

You can also pick a color to work with. Some breeds have unique coloring like tans or unique patterns like dutch. Some breeders are a color like harlequins.

Mini Lops would be good if you liked Flops. I actually like the mini lops better than the flops--the don't seem to shed as much. You might consider Thriantas, Havanas, Lilacs (rare), velveteen lops, or mini rexes, all in the 4-6 lb range. Lots of people are enjoying the Dwarf Hotots, and they are as small as the JWs, I think, so they could be in the same cages.

I would rather not have really popular breeds like netherlands or holland lops. I don't want a gigantic breed so either dwarves or standard sizes (4 class.) I like variety in colours but am not a fan of patterns like Dutch and English spots have. I don't have a strong preference in body type but am not a himalayan person. Also I would like an ARBA breed.
I hope that is more specific. <br /><br /> __________ Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:17 pm __________ <br /><br />
ilovehome":2qfzznjx said:
Mini Lops would be good if you liked Flops. I actually like the mini lops better than the flops--the don't seem to shed as much. You might consider Thriantas, Havanas, Lilacs (rare), velveteen lops, or mini rexes, all in the 4-6 lb range. Lots of people are enjoying the Dwarf Hotots, and they are as small as the JWs, I think, so they could be in the same cages.

I have thought about mini lops. Do you know what size cage they need?

I love having Mini Lops and sounds like they might be a great fit for you. Ours have great temperaments! I like their size too.
I have ours in 30" x 30" or 30" x 36" cages.
I prefer the 30" x 36" for them to have more room to move around.

Polish have not been mentioned yet. They are a little bigger and with less head shape restriction than the netherland dwarf. Also not as popular in many places. They have some limit to colors since they were originally imported as only rew but add in the broken gene and you can get a fair variety. There are also bew polish but you don't want to mix those with broken and your non bew rabbits may have white marks that makes them unshowable so it depends what percentage of rabbits you want capable of show versus selling for pet. I would go with 24x30" cages, you could get away with a 24x24 for a buck but I prefer not to, and maybe a few 24x36" for does that have larger litters or as growout cages for several litters together.

Satins are a larger rabbit at 11lbs and would need 24x36 or 30" wide cages but they have a lot more colors and an interesting shine to the coat. I don't see them too much around here. Maybe in communities that have less farming because we get a lot of families raising meat breeds who decide to show and then get the kids their own dwarf or other small breed to have as a personal project. http://www.angelfire.com/tx5/doublehrab ... color.html

Thanks for the suggestions guys! I think I have settled on Mini Lops but have a few questions. Are they good producers & mothers? Do you know any reputable breeders in Kansas/Oklahoma? And do they have similar eye problems that French Lops have (weepy eye because of eye shape) or any breed specific illness really? And to clarify they don't have the dwarf gene right?
Thanks again :)

I don't believe they carry the dwarf gene. My buck is a mini lop. Great rabbit, otherwise don't know much about them.

I breed Mini Lops

Mine are good mothers with litters of 4 to 9

I haven't noticed any eye issues in mine.

They are VERY prone to obesity which can reduce fertility and cause birthing issues - preeclampsia, ketosis, hypocalcaemia, stuck kits, etc...

The RT member "Peach" breeds them and is in Georgia

They are not supposed to have the dwarf gene but I've seen big "Hollands" being called Mini Lop and they might be carriers.

I also have not had any eye issues. My doe had 5 her first litter and 6 her second litter.
Another doe I just purchased had 7 in her last litter. In general Mini Lops are known for being maternal/good moms. Obviously it can vary from one to another, often the good mothering trait being passed on to offspring.

I don't know how competitive you are planning on being in the breed but there is a breeder in Winsconsin that has EXCELLENT rabbits.

LopLover":wc83kqr3 said:
I don't know how competitive you are planning on being in the breed but there is a breeder in Winsconsin that has EXCELLENT rabbits.
Is that where Jason Scott lives?

Jason Scoot lives over by Columbia City now. No, that is where Tracy Harmon is from. She and Jason have some of eachother's lines. I have some of her lines in the background of some of my rabbits too.

Back