Line Breeding

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

6riversfarms

Reaction score
I have some tough decisions to make in my breeding program. I have several 1st generation does (group 3 on a line breeding chart). They are good producers but I need the cage space to continue with my line breeding.

My question is how long do you generally keep your first generation does? Does it depend on cage space for you or do you try to move right along?

My goals are simply to produce the best meat producing rabbits I can in my climate.

The main things I am looking to improve are heat tolerance and litter weight at weaning, and longevity of production for does.

My main concern is that a couple of my foundation does are 3+ years old and I haven't progressed far enough to produce replacements from them that are close to 7/8 their genes.

Am I worried over something I shouldn't be?

If your old does are still better than their offspring then keep them but if they are not then replace them

I only have one of my original 5 (currently 4 years old) mainly to produce purebred AmChins and to improve the fur and pattern on my mutts

My meat mutts are swapped out with new and hopefully improved stock every few months :) my goals are disease resistance (specifically Hepatic coccidia) and feed conversion on a forage, hay and grains diet

Been pouring over my records, comparing data, checking condition on does, litters, and bucks. Sold and culled some and got 5 more to cull ASAP. I now have 6 or 7 empty cages for growouts I have 4 establisbed lines plus the beginings of 1 or 2 more. Got a bunch of 2, 3 and 4 week old litters still in with their dams.

Lots of choices. Thank goodness I have some decent data, and about to get tons more when I start weighing and really evaluating all the current youngins.

-- Sun May 24, 2015 12:34 am --

So, I have been out in the barn with my record book and my rabbits.

I have my MM line from Grumpy, TT line from OAF. And my -L line from an excellent doe from here at home. First letter is sire, second letter is dam. So MM is
Missouri sire x Missouri doe. This was my start with commercial NZW's.

I then purchased two A- bucks in Arkansas.

So now to the present I have:

Does: -M original dam, MM,TT,ML,AT,ALxTT,MLxMM and TTxML

Bucks:MM,TT,ML,AL,MLxMM,TTxMM,ALxAT

I know this.probably isn't gonna make much sense to ya'll but boy it feels good to see it in print. Gonna sleep on it. <br /><br /> -- Sun May 24, 2015 4:31 pm -- <br /><br /> I think after spending several days looking at where I am with my herd and where I want to go, I have a solid breeding strategy. Been nice spending hours upon hours with my rabbits, evaluating them and their litters. Almost time to take 4 week weights on the last round of litters. Got some Seniors to sell and cull to free up space.

I do love me some rabbits.

Six:

My entire rabbitry goes back to 2 main bucks and 1 buck I used for a year
before he got wry-neck and had to be put down.

I've got 3 does on the dam side and two of those came with the 2 main
bucks. I bought them all as a group and I have ABSOLUTELY no idea of their
heritage....for all I know, they could have been litter-mates. LOL :x

Whatever the case, they served me extremely well. I couldn't find fault
with the lot of them. One of the main bucks "Bob", never produced a son
that I really, really liked. But, his daughter's are fantastic producers. I
suppose it all works out.

Grumpy.

I haven't brought in any stock for years, [except for one "rescue" I am experimenting with] and if I do it will be a very well thought out and researched addition. I learned from a old Gent., that had raised a lot of rabbits for a very long time , that the concern over line, cross, and inbreeding is not as big a deal as some would think.- [ when I had a lot of rabbits, I did find value in maintaining 3 separate lines, and then crossing them for brood does, and then again for terminal sale stock.] But the Old Gent. I am referring to had a very successful rabbitry, and he had no idea who was related to who, he just kept hutch cards, and that was all, so all he really knew was the history of a particular doe, and or buck. He had not brought in any breed stock since he started with just a few rabbits 30 or 40 years before that-- but he had nice, healthy rabbits and they grew well, - he said -- "breed the best, ship the rest"

This is interesting to read as I am just getting started. I would love to keep a "closed loop" system, but I wasn't sure the logistics of it. It sounds as though you don't have to switch out bucks occasionally if they are too related to the breeders (compared to cows or goats, right?)

heritage":3e0derv6 said:
This is interesting to read as I am just getting started. I would love to keep a "closed loop" system, but I wasn't sure the logistics of it. It sounds as though you don't have to switch out bucks occasionally if they are too related to the breeders (compared to cows or goats, right?)

This might help you.

breeding-to-the-strong-points-within-your-herd-t9911.html

Grumpy.

Back