Leonis Rex Gen II: SUCCESS!!!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Fry meme is epic!!! I was looking into seeing if this could be done, but everyone was saying no!!! Has anyone seen any full sized lionheads? Think it's possible? Something the size of a rex, or some sort?

I have a six or so pound Lion Lop. :3 I imagine a full-sized Lionhead would be perfectly possible. Get the biggest you can find, aka one without the gnarly dwarf gene some people have worked in, and breed it with a larger meat rabbit, then breed the offspring together? Good news is that the mane gene cannot hide.

(Also, Trinity, I totes agree. Ack. I need an angora rex naow! Lots of brushing, but the potential glorious fiber tempts me. XD And even if the fiber is useless, imagine an adult pelt for trim around a coat collar? -swoons-)

ok its official I need to save up for a pair of leonis rex from msd!!! D: **GRABBY HANDS**

trinityoaks":2zdbtgf3 said:
:nono: OMG, MSD! You HAD to show pictures, didn't you??

9e9.gif

Just lol'd. Out loud. At the office.

MamaSheepdog":3ebkb7vs said:
I hope you get as lucky as I did! I hope to get a DM in this next litter, or at the least in Gen III. :)

Are you breeding brother to sister? It increases your odds of success.

Yup brother and sister right now. A little luck sure would speed things up. I need at least a DM doe (1:8) to continue. What I really want is a DM BEW Doe (1:32). This litter I got another 1:32 BEW Doe with no mane. We are going to keep the BEW Doe for a little while just because she is so darn cute.

Cspr":39q6xwks said:
I love rexed rabbits so dang much, so seeing a new form of rexed rabbit makes me exceedingly happy. :D

Good! Because the serious show breeders are probably cursing my name right now! ;)

How thick is the fur on the little man, by the way?

He still has the downy baby coat, so I wont really know until he molts out.

I'd love it if I could have rexed pelts for use in, uh, making a coat. Because I need a rexed fur coat.

That would be nice! We want a quilt.

trinityoaks":39q6xwks said:
:nono: OMG, MSD! You HAD to show pictures, didn't you??

9e9.gif

Sorry Trinity! :oops:

Don't worry... OAF can bring a couple home for you next year when she makes her annual pilgrimage to California! :twisted:

Kitty102":39q6xwks said:
Has anyone seen any full sized lionheads? Think it's possible? Something the size of a rex, or some sort?

My two original "Lionheads" were both over 5lbs at maturity. Pride, the doe, was probably 5 1/4lbs. when she ended up as stew... and Kingston is now 5lbs 11oz. Obviously, they are just some type of maned crossbred rabbit... but they worked well for my project since they had size to begin with.

Kingston is DM, but as you can see in this current pic, he doesn't look anything like what the COD calls for:

IMG_3543.JPG

ohiogoatgirl":39q6xwks said:
ok its official I need to save up for a pair of leonis rex from msd!!! D: **GRABBY HANDS**

Mwa-haha!!! With all of you clamoring after my "Leonis Rex", I'm going to be rich, RICH, RICH! I just knows it! :greedy: :greedy: :greedy:

Lol... just kidding, of course. :)

Most of these will end up on our dinner plates... but I see no reason why I shouldn't have a little diversity in the "packaging" of my meat. :dinner:

MamaSheepdog":27o2u0u9 said:
Don't worry... OAF can bring a couple home for you next year when she makes her annual pilgrimage to California! :twisted:
LOL! I might actually be ready for some by then!

trinityoaks":2b8cemay said:
MamaSheepdog":2b8cemay said:
LOL! I might actually be ready for some by then!

Let's see, that is two LR for Trinity, two for me, a puppy for me .... guess the hubs will have to come again too, so we can carry all the animals! LOL

And CONGRATS! He is pure adorableness!

OneAcreFarm":5styu30f said:
Let's see, that is two LR for Trinity, two for me, a puppy for me .... guess the hubs will have to come again too, so we can carry all the animals! LOL

:thinking: Better plan to bring the kids too! :p

There are 6 to 8 pound lionheads in northern Virginia, mainly in petstores. But they look exactly like the little lionheads, just 3-4 times the size!

I am on a Facebook group (Backyard Meat Rabbits)moderated by a gentleman named Boyd Craven, Jr. And I believe he is developing what he calls "King of the Lionheads" (just English translation of your Latin "Leonis Rex") which are large Lionheads (also know as meat in a fur coat). Cute rabbits, no matter who calls them what!

Back