Learning to trust

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarayTala

Reaction score
Its been almost a year since I got into breeding rabbits. I started off with three, a NZW doe, a NZW buck, and a FG/NZ doe. I started trying to breed when they turned six months, and kept trying for months with no success. First they wouldn't lift, then even with fall offs the breedings didn't take, and so on. I later got Midnight, a proven lop/NZ doe. She failed at raising three litters with me, and I honestly wasn't sure if I should just say three strikes and shes gone, or if I was doing something wrong and should keep trying with her. During this time, I got into Americans and Mini Rex, though my new does refused to breed as well or the breedings didn't take. I also had one colony come down with pastuerella, and spent a couple months in fear that I might lose the whole herd. When I got three more rabbits to start a colony once again, I put my former helper in charge of them. Well, the day after he left, I realized that I had colony kits, my very first litter. Somehow they'd gone unnoticed and were about two weeks old. I was shocked, but elated, and it made me realize how well their Mama could take care of them with no intervention at all. They were beautiful little miracles to me.

I thought back to Midnight, my most disappointing doe who was on her very last chance, and on everything that happened each time she kindled and how I behaved. Each time, I was nervous, checking her and the kits frequently, and constantly fretting and fussing to try and make things go right. Earlier this week Midnight was due. I trusted her to know what to do and do it, instead of trying to play Mother. None of her litters before survived past three days. She now has three beautiful five day old kits that are well fed and growing like weeds. I don't think this is a fluke, I honestly think she could have been a great Mom all along. I just needed my rabbits to teach me that they are the Mothers, I'm the breeder, and I should trust them to raise their kits as much as they trust me to bring the food and hay.

As a lovely surprise, one of my original NZW does, who is now a month shy of one year old, who I had almost given up on, kindled her first litter at the same time. She has six lovely little kits, and is also taking care of them beautifully while I stand back and learn to not fuss or worry. It's been a long road, and I was wondering if I would ever see results, but finally I've learned to trust my rabbits to do their job while I do mine.

:goodpost:

I check the nest shortly after kindling and clean out any dead kits, uneaten placentas, and wet bedding. I also check the litters daily, twice daily when we have hot weather. Beyond that and occasionally adding more hay to a nest, I leave it up to my does.

I think a lot depends on the does that you have- mine are all friendly and trusting, and don't seem to mind my interference... but that was not the case with my first home-bred does.

Since they were destined to be meat except for the does, I didn't handle those first litters much at all, fearing that I would get too attached to them. I ended up with does that were skittish and didn't like attention. With work, I overcame that and they eventually "friendlied up", but the difference in handled kits is amazing.

I would try to strike a balance- now that the kits are a little older, bring the does a tasty treat to munch on when you remove the nest to pick each kit up for a moment. That way the does will think it is a good thing when you check their babies, and the litters will grow up to be more trusting of people.

This will be a benefit not only with the next litters that your current does have, but also with any does that you keep back for breeding.

:congratulations: on finally having some litters! I hope that this is the start of a new productive phase in your rabbitry!

Nice post! :) I'll have to take your word for it though since my useless rabbits refuse to MATE!!!!!!!!! $#^&*%%.....going back to my quiet place now

Congrats:)

MSD is right, you have to know your does. I pull my boxes, but these are also long awaited show kits, so I can't afford mistakes. I've pulled a box and killed a litter myself, and I've left boxes alone and things have been fine, I've left boxes and the doe smothered all of the kits. You've just gotta know your does, decide what your best practice will be and stick to it.

It is always a dilemma as to which method will work. I recently left a litter with a first time mom, things were going well, but the morning of the 6th day, the kits were dead ... looked like the doe scattered the nest material accidently when she fed the kits that morning and they just couldn't stay warm. By the time I was able to get out there ... they were dead with full milk bellies :(

Personally, I pull the nest boxes to keep this from happening, but this time, I didn't have any smaller kits and thought I would see how good a mother this doe was going to be. Not her fault, if I had pulled the nestbox as usual, they would still be alive and growing.

By pulling the nestboxes, and handling the kits morning and night, then raising/weaning in the house, they are all very people oriented which is helpful when handling ... whether it is the show prospects or the ones on their way to freezer camp.

Latest posts

Back