Large litter of 13

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stone soup farm

Reaction score
This is my does second go. She is a CA and I crossed her with an AM chin. She had a large litter of 13, her last one was 8. :up: Luckily I had another doe that only had 7 kits, so I split the difference and they now both have 10. They all seem healthy. All my other litters have been 8, so this is my first large litter. Here are my questions?

Her kits were smaller, of course that seems to make sense, but should they grow out the same or slower than a smaller litter? Especially since I split them.

And for the future, I may not be able to foster so over. So are there any recommendations on doing anything different for does that have large litters? I usually make sure to give my does calcium rich plants like kale when they are in labor and then the following week I try to include milk increasing plants like lemon balm, borage, dill and fennel.

I don't split and my does raise them all. That being said, they will be smaller and take longer to grow out.

Depends a lot on the does milk supply, how soon they start eating solid food and the protein level of the feed.

Thanks so much for the help. I have heard of does taking care of litters of 12 and 13 just fine, but I thought that since I had the option to foster I would. Good to know that it will take longer and be slower on the grow out. Like I said I usually have 8 and that works out great with the number of teats. Luckily, these does seem to have great milk and I have 18% for the litters and nursing does.

Next time I may not have the option to split but maybe I won't even if I can, just to see the difference.

I had an Am.Chin doe, she would have litter of 12 to 13 each time.
she would hardly never loose any kits.
it is good to know she is productive.

Just lost 5 of the 13, so now total of 8. The rest are doing great but the others were failing to thrive. I think I will have calf manna or some BOSS on hand for next time. Luckily I have someone with snakes that wants any of the lost kits. So there will be no waste, but it is still sad.

In the long run I am lucky, because a day after she kindled the 13, we had a raccoon visit and open cages and rip off feeders. So a bunch of juniors got out. We found all but one. Both mammas didn't abandon or hurt their litters, so that is a plus.

If I have a mamma that can manage 12 -13 I will definitely keep a doe from her!

stone soup farm":71ug8m0r said:
we had a raccoon visit and open cages and rip off feeders.
sorry if this is off topic, but did the raccoon hurt the rabbits? I have found my cages open 3 times now,

oh, and good luck with the babies!

Thanks for reminding me of that. Even though she couldn't support them, I am still impressed that she popped out 13. Poor thing was so bloated, and she kindled a day early.

Lucky for us the raccoon seemed to like the pellets more than the juniors (they are close to butchering date). It may have got 1 but I didn't see any blood so I think it may have meet a different demise. We also have ravenous ravens, hawks and foxes that would happily nab a loose rabbit.

The dog has been out every night since, hopefully keeping the critters out of the yard.

Back