kits dying, is it genetic?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarayTala

Reaction score
With my colony does I've usually gotten litters of 6-9. After the kits starts hopping out of the nest box and eating pellets I make sure to supplement with some oats and hay to prevent issues. I've had 2-3 kits die from each litter at this age. I noticed one had.a little bit of diarrhea so I assume weaning entritis. Since I've done what I've seen recommended to help already I don't know what else to do. This only happens with kits from these two related does as well. Could it be genetic or is there more I should be doing?

from two does and the rest of the does raise them fine?

I'd say a genetic weakness in the line. I'd cull 'em out.

Thanks, that's what I was thinking. All of their offspring are going strait to freezer camp since I don't want weakness in my lines, though the does get to stick around until I have a chance at better stock. Right now they are the two largest meatiest rabbits I have, plus they are amazing mothers and get along so well in the colony. In time I'm sure I can find better stock to replace them though. Its just hard because most breeders don't raise colony style, so I won't know if any new does I get, get along, without just buying them and trying it out and hoping.

Have you opened any up and checked for cocci? It's hard to get rid of sometimes and I'm noticing a certain doe's litters are more prone to it.
Cocci lives in the environment, weak immune systems lead to infection. So just keeping things clean doesn't always do anything and makes it a surprise when you find out that's what was causing it.

Does go back to what the others have said, weak genes.

Latest posts

Back