Kits coming out of nest- now what?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Autumnarcher

Reaction score
My first litter of kits is at 14days today, and they are starting to venture out of the nest box, which leaves this rookie rabbit raiser with a handful of new questions.

Do I need to stick them back in the nest at night, when it gets cool out, or just letthem stay out and about in the cage with Momma?

Last night I went out and one was hung up on the edge of a plastic water tub i put in, its front legs were in the water, and it couldnt get down. I had put a plastic food storage container in for water for Mom, and the little fella, whos eyes werent fully open yet climbed up and luckily didnt fall in. I dried it off and put it in the nest and its fine.

Once they leave the nest, are they ok to let nibble on pellets and hay, or do they still just nurse off Mom, or both?

Should I quit giving mom greens for a while now, or can the kits eat the same stuff Mom does?

Ive been free feeding her pellets and hay, and giving mom a little dish of a mx of oats, BOSS and wheat. She loves it, and devours it immediately.

How long should I leave the nest box in the cage?

The little ones are doing very well, although i did have a mishap tonight. While holding the runt, it launched itself suddenly and flew out of my hands and fell to the floor. it cried like crazy, but I put it back in th nest and when I last checked appeared to be doing fine. Momma wasnt too happy with me thats for sure, she heard it cy and was running around the cage. Good grief the more things go forward, the more I realize I don't know. But we're having so much fun with them.

I have open topped wire nests with a spring closure on the front, so I can open it to allow the kits easy access. If your boxes are wood or metal you can put a brick or 4"x4" in front of it to act as a step.

The kits can eat what mama gets, including fresh greens. They will just take small samples of the different foods available while getting most of their nourishment from nursing, and their gut flora will adjust to it.

I use plastic litter jugs as shelter for newly emerging kits, and before I had creep feeders it gave me a place to give them grains without the does eating it all.

In this photo you can see the nest and the litter jug to the left:

IMG_6064.JPG

I have the sheet metal nest boxes with a mesh floor, I'll have to make a step to help them get back in it. I dont have cats, nor know anyone who does so the litter jugs arent an option, although I cold come up with something.

Do I need to stick them back in the nest at night, when it gets cool out, or just letthem stay out and about in the cage with Momma?
Flip the box on it's side or put a brick in front of it so they can climb back in.

Once they leave the nest, are they ok to let nibble on pellets and hay, or do they still just nurse off Mom, or both?
They were nibbling on things before they left the nest box. If no hay or straw is used in the nest they'll actually eat the fur around them. I've had them wean at 2weeks in emergencies and eat a normal adult diet.

Should I quit giving mom greens for a while now, or can the kits eat the same stuff Mom does?
They should have greens now while they are eating small amounts of things. Otherwise if you wait until later their digestive tract will not be adjusted but they'll be willing to eat themselves sick on greens. Then you have to take the time to slowly adjust them on to greens over several weeks.

How long should I leave the nest box in the cage?
Depends. In hot weather I tip it when they start leaving by 10 days when their eyes open and remove it by 2 weeks. In cold weather they may still use it until 4 weeks. In winter here they may not even come out until 4 weeks sometimes. Mom hauls tons of hay down in to the nest and builds it up out of hay and straw so they have an endless food supply. My creme d'argent has made nests 3' high and wide in -20F before.

Thanks all for the replies. I tipped the nestthis morning, cleaned it out some, and we'll leave it like that for a few more days before removing it. babies all migrated to the opposite corner and pied up there, and momma didnt seem too happy with me. Im sure she'll get over it. the runt that fell yesterday is fine this morning, thankfully.

The does are always a little irritated when the kits start coming out of the nest, because they only have one thing on their minds- MILK! When you only pay attention to your kids for 5 minutes twice a day, having a whole mob of them underfoot constantly has got to be a shock!

Does she have a shelf so she can get away from them?

If not, might I suggest a bunnybucket? :mrgreen:

IMG_4487.JPG

MaggieJ":3mzmgnn9 said:
Gee, I was going to answer this, but I see MSD amd Akane have already done such a great job that I have nothing more to add. :)

I know, right? They did not leave us ANYTHING to contribute.... guess we can just be spectators.... :popcorn:

MamaSheepdog":69dh18w1 said:
The does are always a little irritated when the kits start coming out of the nest, because they only have one thing on their minds- MILK! When you only pay attention to your kids for 5 minutes twice a day, having a whole mob of them underfoot constantly has got to be a shock!

Does she have a shelf so she can get away from them?

If not, might I suggest a bunnybucket? :mrgreen:

That right there is a BE-YOOTIFUL rabbit, Sistah!

OneAcreFarm":2lnzh4ib said:
MaggieJ":2lnzh4ib said:
Gee, I was going to answer this, but I see MSD amd Akane have already done such a great job that I have nothing more to add. :)
I know, right? They did not leave us ANYTHING to contribute.... guess we can just be spectators.... :popcorn:

MaggieJ":2lnzh4ib said:
Pass the popcorn, please! :popcorn:

Thank you!

Sheesh... just trying to give you guys a little break. :roll: Would you care for some more butter on your popcorn? A sprinkling of sea salt, perhaps?

OneAcreFarm":2lnzh4ib said:
That right there is a BE-YOOTIFUL rabbit, Sistah!

That would be Evil Blue, sometimes known as Irritable Blue. She is going back into her Evil phase and needs to be bred again.

Tipped the nest over yesterday, they proceeded to have the nesting straw/fur scattered all over the cage, and spent their day laying in the opposite corner. So I took the nest out, put some of th nesting on a piece of wood for them to lay on at night. They are doing so good, the most active one is the runt, that little tike is funny. I'll leave the remaining nesting material in for another couple days I guess. The kits are having fun walking through the water crocks, tipping over the pellet crocks, and trying to con momma out of another go-round nursing.

The other does kits are catching up fast, they crawled out from under their nest bedding and are laying on top at the front of the nest. It was hot here today, and again tommorrow, so theyre keeping cool on top of the pile. This is so cool watching how fast the little buggers grow.

Latest posts

Back