Kits aren't fed help

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alch0my

Reaction score
Sky had them yesterday mid morning ..how long do I wait before flipping her over to feed them? I checked on them and they are still wiggly so not looking weak yet. Ill be so hurt if they don't make it:( I mean it looks like she's been in the nest box but babies don't look fed. Im getting worried.

Are the babies' stomachs wrinkly or round like they swallowed a golf ball?

I would try some parsley, dandelion or dill for the doe. Those stimulate milk production.

I have not faced this problem so I don't know how long to tell you to wait. I have read that 24 hours or so without feeding does happen. I would probably check them this evening, and if there are still no signs of feeding, I would take action.

*fingers crossed*

Sometimes the first feedings don't show much, she should feed them again this evening. Mine feed their kits right about daylight and sunset. If you can examine the kits and see if you can see their tummies. You can sometimes see the milk in their tummy as a whitish spot under pink skin.
Check her belly and see if she feels like she has milk. Maybe her milk is slow to come in.
If she does, you can gently put her over the babies and let them nurse tonight but wait til almost dark and leave her alone a couple of hours before dark then check the babies. Rabbits often don't like to be watched when they go into the nestbox.

Got my finger crossed she has milk!

Often, especially with first-time mommas, there is a delay before the milk comes in. I wouldn't be too worried yet. If you haven't already done so, you may want to take a look at this sticky, which has pictures of fed and unfed kits and also the useful experiences of various members.

fed-vs-unfed-kit-pictures-t3052.html

I would feed some parsley and check them this evening. I wouldn't worry until tomorrow morning if they aren't fed.

I had a first time doe who needed a little coaching. I didn't flip her (have never been able to get that to work), instead, I held her over them. I think there is a post somewhere on how to do it. The main thing was holding her back feet so she didn't eviscerate them. The way I did it was much like being caught in an extended yoga pose, which wasn't comfortable, but got the job done. I had babies in a box beside me in easy reach. I sat on the floor with the doe between my legs, facing away from me. I put a towel under my legs but over doe's back feet to keep them as immobile as possible. Holding the doe's front feet in one hand basically meaning I was leaning over her, I used the other hand to slip the kits under her trying to keep her as calm as possible. It took a good 30 minutes of leaning over in that awkward position and it took 3 feedings that way before she decided it was just easier to do it herself. Once she figured out what she was supposed to do, it was smooth sailing and her second litter she did fine all on her own.

I hope she just feeds them and saves you the trouble, but I wouldn't worry just yet.

Latest posts

Back