Kit half out, stuck, what to do?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LauraNJ

Reaction score
Help!!!

Sarah had at least 1 kit. Now she is hopping around her care with one hanging out. It isn't moving. Coming out rear first so head and front legs still inside her.

Do I just help at this point, just pull on the kit to get it out?

Don't just yank it out.

If she will calm down and sit with you, you must feel to see if she is still having contractions.

If she is then when she starts to push you can GENTLY pull a little on the kit, once she stops pushing, you must stop pulling as well or you can tear her up inside, then wait for the next contraction to pull again.

If she is too frantic to let you hold her or you cannot tell when she is contracting then take her to the veterinarian ASAP.

THank you, we made some progress, I am giving her a little break. She is super friendly so I removed her from cage, put her on my lap and was able to lube her up a little and pull with a couple contractions.

We are pretty much to the head now. I gave her some parsley, she has a half a tums in there and I was thinking of giving her a little lavender. I am having to massage her abdomen to get contractions going.

Our vet is great with dogs and cats but she was the one who wanted to pts my beveran with an ear infection because she assumed it was pasturella. We insisted on running tests first which were all negative and in the end it was an ear infection. I just have a feeling if I take her in, I will return without a rabbit. Sarah had already delivered 3 healthy kits so I don't want to lose her, plus we are attached.

Yay, it came out! I think the parsley, tums and tired to give her some lavender. She sniffed the lavender and then had a bunch of contractions in a row and the baby came out without me pulling.

She right away went to cleaning the very stretched dead baby and then the after bit=rth came out. I removed the dead kit and left her to eat the after birth. She is currently getting a drink and acting like nothing happened.

She is a first time Mom and "m going to monitor the kits closer than I have Isabellas. Isabella built a perfect nest, she covers her kits up when it is chilly, when it is warm she opens the top part up.

Sarah has built a modern, contemporary looking nest with straw and hay in vertical formations. She has a cushy area in the corner where her babies are but you can tell she doesn't wuite know what she is doing. :)

I am just so relieved she is ok. Thank you for all the calm advice, it all helped!

Phew! Glad it all worked out. I am making a mental note of what you were successful with just incase I ever run into that as well. Keep us updated on her health!

I thought I checked the nestbox well last evening, saw the 3 kits, one had a small cut on its ear but all seemed good.

This morning I watched Sarah go into her box for probably 8 minutes or so. Once she came out and was eating I checked babies. At first only saw 2 and thought uhh ohh. So, I really dug through the box and found a 4th baby that was dead, very wrinkled, sort of squished in it's abdomen and cold.

Went back to where her other 2 were and under them, hidden was the 3rd baby. All 3 seemed to be well fed, round little tummys and fairly active with me messing around.

So, Sarah actually had 5, one either stillborn or died at some point, one stuck and died and 3 alive. I am happy with that for a first time Mom.

So glad she was able to finish up the job. Three live, well-fed babies is not a bad deal for a first timer. Congratulations.

Latest posts

Back