Just Have To Brag

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bad Habit

Reaction score
Though I got lost on my way out there, and got lost on my way home... I managed to find some amazing quality hay for cheap!!

40lb bales of timothy, for $3 each. I actually gave her $20 for 6 bales, because I was impressed with how it looked when putting it in the truck, and it looked even better when I broke open a bale after I got home.

It smells so good, and I couldn't find anything under $5 a bale, plus the normal person I buy from had been ignoring my messages/calls, so I was about out of hay.

Finally something went right!!

Glad to hear you scored some good hay, Bad Habit. :goodjob: Keep that contact information!

Kijiji often has ads for hay in season. I used to be able to get a good 80% alfalfa hay just north of Trenton for $3 - 3.50, but that farmer is no longer putting up small square bales. More and more farmers seem to be going to the large round bales, which are not very convenient for rabbit people. It doesn't affect me directly, since I had to quit raising rabbits awhile back due to mobility issues, but it's a trend I am sorry to see.

As for getting lost . . . that's half the fun! :)

YES, that's the problem is finding small squares!! I could find/buy all the rounds I wanted. Nowhere to store even one though, lol.

I've arranged to make another trip up there, have more bales on reserve. This time I'm hoping my momma will come with me and we can take the big truck, so I can get all 6 in one trip(I made 2 yesterday, cuz I could only get 3 bales in at a time, lol).

Sadly, this is just a solution for this year - it's a woman who's selling her hay, because she's selling her horse, because she's selling her house.

Too bad you won't be able to continue to get hay there in years to come. Keep an eye on Kijiji though . . . It's the best place I have found for locating what you need for the critters. If you can buy during the hay-cutting season, you will have more choice.

Yeah, won't leave it so late going forward. I'm planning on asking for her hay grower's contact for next year, too.

I thought I had hay lined up, but never heard back from her. Been almost a week, in fact, and no message back. Can't complain too much, though, because this hay is way nicer, and cheaper!

I can get Orchard Grass hay locally for $6/bale... but I don't fully trust it.
I generally get Timothy Grass compressed bales at Tractor Supply... for close to $20 :/
Still considerably cheaper than trying to get those little bags from pet stores, but sheesh. Ridiculous.

Back