Jersey Wooly Doe Raising 11

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jessie15273

Reaction score
3/25 my jersey wooly doe had 4 kits. 3/31 a rabbit my grandfather bought me at an auction had 11 kits.

3/30 I picked up the auction doe, and felt her stomach. I felt some movement, but they appeared to be very small. I figured she would have like a week left, but I threw in a nest box anyways.

The next day I am feeding up, and I hear a grunt, and screeching. She ate (most of) 3 of the babies. I took them out, they were still more coming out when I was picking them up. No nest no milk, and she wanted them dead. I took a risk and took the 6day old babies out of there nest and put the remaining 8 newborns in her nest. I put it in the cage and the wooly mama hopped right in and fed them.

I brought in both boxes that night.
I checked them in the morning and one of the older litter had died (2 in the litter are small and i expect the other to not make it) In the morning I left the older ones inside and took the little one out where there new mom hopped right in and fed them.

I then seperated the litters by who looked like they could use the food the most. The 2 older healthy babies went with the 3 largest young ones into what I called box A. The "sickly" looking older one went with the 5 smaller younger ones box B

This morning B box went in first this morning to get the first bit of milk. I then checked the "bad" mom and she had milk. I flipped her over and fed box A. Then I switched that box into the woolys pen, where I think she fed them again later.
And tomorrow I will do it all again, but roles reversed!
I am so psyched everyone's still alive. No high hopes for one of the wooly babies she is so tiny and inactive, but now a week old, so shes got that going!

Is there any suggestions or additional ideas?

I will post a picture of the bad momma. She is like 4lbs and had 11 babies. They were Soooo teeny tiny!

I bet the bad mamma probably had her babies slightly prematurely because there where so many of them. Maybe since she has milk she will start feeding them on her own now. The good Jersey Mom sounds wonderful :)

squidpop":1q46hpjl said:
I bet the bad mamma probably had her babies slightly prematurely because there where so many of them. Maybe since she has milk she will start feeding them on her own now. The good Jersey Mom sounds wonderful :)

That's a no go. She still wants them dead! At least I can flip her and feed some now!

I did lose the 2nd smaller older on leaving yesterday. Going good to check on them now. Wish me luck!

Latest posts

Back