J-Clip unrolling

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can buy a great little tool from a Rabbitry Supply. I got mine from Klubertanz. Some handy people fabricate one from an old pair of pliers.

I've got the j-clip removers and they work okay. But the best thing I've used was suggested by Grumpy - get a steel awl (you know, that pointy thing used for scratching on metal or wood) and a hammer. If nothing else, I loosen the clip up enough for the jaws of the j-clip removers to get in there and finish the job.

I found mine - all steel - at Home Depot. I've also seen them at Lowes. So, if you can't find one at your local hardware store, you can order online. Don't get one with a wooden or plastic handle as they won't hold up to the pounding with the hammer. Have fun - and when you get that new floor in it will all be worth it!

If you can't find an awl,any pointed round object made of metal will work.

I happened to find an ice pick be fore I found my awl, worked great.

Just put it any small opening in the side of the J-clip and pry it open.

craneman54":3cyhmgh3 said:
If you can't find an awl,any pointed round object made of metal will work.

I happened to find an ice pick be fore I found my awl, worked great.

Just put it any small opening in the side of the J-clip and pry it open.

All of this, but with one giant caveat: be very careful of your tool slipping or popping out as you pry. An ice pick/awl/screwdriver in the hand is...not fun.

I'm assuming the ones you are removing are not cheesy, like the ones that came with my Bass cages? I wrote a blog post about removing them, which turned out to be really easy: blogs/24carrot/2012/03/14/rabbitry-rehab/

(That's to my old blog, because the pictures on my new blog vanished. I'm slowly moving the pictures back over to the new one.)

Once the kids got the hang of it, they were removing clips in under 10 seconds with nothing but a pair of pliers.

I hate to think of ever having to remove the clips I replaced them with!

The clips I've gotten from Bass are much lighter weight than the ones I got from Klubertanz. I think they start rusting much sooner, too.

I subscribe to "all of the above". I've got the awl and hammer next to the j-clip removers next to a couple different pair of pliers and screwdrivers....

It can be a lot of work but I still think once the pen is all fixed up, it's worth it. Enjoy!!

SuburbanHomesteader":uowb4oda said:
The clips I've gotten from Bass are much lighter weight than the ones I got from Klubertanz. I think they start rusting much sooner, too.
Yeah, my Bass clips and floors were not very good... but I know MSD has a bunch of their cages, and they're fine. I don't know if they changed their wire, or what.

The stainless steel ones I got from Klubertanz are practically indestructible. And probably irremovable. :eek:

I've pretty much changed over to c rings for cage building having found them easier to work with in all aspects - installing and removing.

I've pretty much changed over to c rings for cage building having found them easier to work with in all aspects - installing and removing.

Would you mind posting a link to what you call c-rings.

In my life I have run into things things people call c-rings and none of the ones I have seen are for putting cages together. :?

I will , but need to figure out how to get image from my phone to post. I normally buy them at rabbit shows from suppliers. A 1 lb bag runs around $6

I think another name for those c clips are hog rings.

I had one used caged here a few months ago, that I wanted to replace
the floor in. It was part of a stacker unit, and I did not want to remove
the cage. Just change the floor out.
Well it had horrible j clips that I could not begin to budge. I was using a
j clip removal tool and no way could I even begin to start them off.
So I made the decision to cut the floor off. But I did not want to lose
the floor size. So I cut 1 inch off the height of the 18 inch walls. That 1 inch
went with the old floor. So the Cage lost 1 inch in height. Then just put in
a new floor. Saved the old floor to work with at a later time. Maybe.
Not my usual solution to replacing a floor, but in this situation it worked.

Yep - hog rings are also another name. I believe I managed to attach a pic.

Attachments

image.jpg

I think those would be c-rings. Hog rings are pointed so that when you close them up they go though the snout and lap over at the joint to form almost a triangle.
41FIySh6wJL._AA160_.jpg

The ones we use to use were copper.I think now you can get then in several different metals.

Lastfling":3pwa98lq said:
Yep - hog rings are also another name. I believe I managed to attach a pic.

Go to http://www.klubertanz.com and "browse" their catalog. You'll
find "cage-making" materials. Pictured above (with the square end) is
what they call "crab-pot" rings.... AND they are super for putting cages together.

BUT, the heavy J-clip they offer is hands-down the toughest J-clip
I've ever used. Especially for the wire around the bottom.
Spaced no more than 2" apart.

The "light" J-clip they offer is what most other suppliers call their "heavy"
J-clips. AND they ain't worth a flip!! A heavy doe and her litter will loosen
them up over time. Guarantee it.

One other guarantee: Your hands will feel like they've been beat with a ball bat.
So, just prepare yourself. It's gonna hurt.

Oddly enough, I use my J Clip pliers to remove them and it is really easy. There is 2 hooks on the bottom and one on top. I just turn the pliers sideways and it put one of the hooks close as possible to the rolled j clip. The other hook goes into the bottom, and squeeze. It forces it open and doesn't hurt the cage at all. Very little effort. Always been about to get them off. I will have to take pictures of what I am talking about.

This is the pliers I am using.
http://www.gillroys.com/wire-j-clip-pliers-s709460.html

Latest posts

Back