It was worth it

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michaelhodgejr

Reaction score
So i've had these rabbits since March. In that time i've dealt with dead kits, missed litters, agressive does, and a variety of issues I'm sure we've all faced at some point. For the last month or so I've been cleaning out the rabbit cages and jokingly think to myself, "Why do I do this?". Then I look at the little bunnies hopping around their cage, being all cute and what not, and I forget about it till the next cleaning day.

Well, now I have a new reason. Today was the first day I was actually able to eat one of them. I processed my first litter over the weekend and i figured i was overdue to try some bunny. Now this is not the first time i've had rabbit, but it is the first time i've had one of MY rabbits, and I tell you, all the cage cleaning was worth it! I put one of them into the pot this morning around 8:30 and boiled it till around 6:00 this evening with some spices. It made an amazing broth. I then took the broth and rabbit meatand made a bunny pot pie. Me and my girlfriend are on weight watchers, so I used reduced fat crescent rolls for the crust, and it turned out amazing, and only 9 points.

So next time I start questioning why i am raising 15+ rabbits in a studio apartment, I will remember this day, for this was yummy! In fact, I can't believe I waited so long to start.

Attachments

• IMG_20120810_190632.jpg
    IMG_20120810_190632.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 510
Wonderful! That looks great. :p What kinds of veggies did you add? I think I see a bit of carrot, and maybe a pea. :?

I used to use the Pillsbury rolls as topping when I made pot pies, since I am not much of a pastry chef.

Oh, alright- I confess- I have NEVER made a pie crust in my life. (Hubs feels very abused- he wants a wifey that makes apple pies, and instead he got me.)

Pie crust is not difficult, MSD... as long as you remember that the less it is handled and rolled, the more tender and flaky it is.

My Dad never asked what was for dessert... he always said: "What's for pie?" Poor Mom must have got tired of baking pies several times a week. I'm sure she was glad that she had three daughters she could teach to make pastry. (Please excuse this little trip down memory lane. :roll: )

Michael, that pie looks delicious! I'm glad it made all the bunny chores worthwhile for you. :)

looks yummy

hahahaha MSD :) i make homemade pies and applesauce, etc but pie crust is hit and miss

MaggieJ":2y8bhnv7 said:
(Please excuse this little trip down memory lane. :) )

Memory lane, and marital advice, all rolled into one! :p

I will try making pie crust this fall for my very first rabbit pot pie, I promise. It will give Hubs a reason to appreciate my RabbitTalk addiction if I ply him with pies... :twisted:

MamaSheepdog":12q151e4 said:
Wonderful! That looks great. :p What kinds of veggies did you add? I think I see a bit of carrot, and maybe a pea. :?

I used to use the Pillsbury rolls as topping when I made pot pies, since I am not much of a pastry chef.

Oh, alright- I confess- I have NEVER made a pie crust in my life. (Hubs feels very abused- he wants a wifey that makes apple pies, and instead he got me.)

Haha, I learned at a young age if i wanted to eat good, I'd have to learn to do it myself. I'm not really a good cook, but I can follow a recipe pretty well, and there are some good recipes to be found thanks to my old pal, Google.

As for the veggies, I just used a cheap bag of frozen mixed vegetables from the store.

MamaSheepdog":12q151e4 said:
MaggieJ":12q151e4 said:
(Please excuse this little trip down memory lane. :) )

Memory lane, and marital advice, all rolled into one! :p

I will try making pie crust this fall for my very first rabbit pot pie, I promise. It will give Hubs a reason to appreciate my RabbitTalk addiction if I ply him with pies... :twisted:

Definitely try to make it if you can. Practice makes perfect. I usually make this with a homemade biscuit top, but the crescent rolls cut back on a lot of the stuff I shouldn't be eating, and it's not bad. In fact, I may make it like this more often simply due to convenience.

Congratulations on your first homegrown pie :D

I have to admit I prefer baking to regular cooking, if I could turn my 'regular' meals into baked goods I'd do a lot more in the kitchen. I'd much rather bake cookies than make a casserole.

Time to do some googling I think :)

Latest posts

Back