It looks like we have a new dog ...

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phacelia

Reaction score
We get drop-offs regularly, living in a state park. It always seems to be in the dead of winter. Unfortunately, our county doesn't have an animal shelter; only a euthanasia clinic. We can sometimes find park visitors to pawn them off on. Incidentally, two of our current dogs were drop-offs. And it looks like we have another...

016_zpsd6b03a1b.jpg

She looks like a cur/dachshund mix, maybe 4-6 months old. SUPER sweet.

We need another dog like we need another hold in our heads, but we can't bear the thought of dropping her off at the euthanasia clinic. She's just too good natured. Now we are back up to a pack of 4.

Haven't decided on a name yet. We're open for suggestions! :D

I am no good when it comes to names, but I think she is adorable. It sounds like she was a "great puppy to have around" but now well lets just say they "lost interest" in the sweet girl.

She is BEAUTIFUL! We have a Catahoula mix that has a face like hers.. and she is a fantastic dog. Maybe a name that is "woodsy" since it is where she joined you. Her coat reminds me of the trees when the gold evening lights filters through. <3

Phacelia":21zjs6i0 said:
She looks like a cur/dachshund mix

If she was a California dog, I would guess that she has Pit in her... but "Curs" aren't a typical breed here (in fact I have never seen one in person), so I am not familiar with how they cross with other breeds, let alone their distinguishing characteristics.

Whatever she is, she looks like a sweetie! I am glad that she has found a home with you, whether or not you decide to make it permanent. :)

HendricksHearth":21zjs6i0 said:
Maybe a name that is "woodsy" since it is where she joined you. Her coat reminds me of the trees when the gold evening lights filters through.

Those observations make me think that "Autumn" might be a good name.

A cur is another name for a mutt. She looks like she could have some Shar Pei in her lines. Does she have purple blotches on her tongue? That usually signifies an Asian breed mixed in.

How about Autumn for her name?

EnglishSpot":2fgr5m6x said:
A cur is another name for a mutt.

True... but in the South especially, there are certain lines of working/hunting dogs that are bred to hunt hogs, lions, etc. and are collectively called "curs" sometimes with a specifier (indicating origin or ability) added. An example of a well know "cur breed" is the Catahoula.

Yes- they are "mutts", but they are bred to a specific purpose.

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/curs.htm

I was going to suggest "Autumn" as her coat looks like the a pile of fallen leaves

A friend of mine has a brindle boxer with the original name of "Brin"

You could call her "Harlequin" - Harli or Quinn for short since she looks like that colour of rabbit :mrgreen:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 1,715
I also think she is beautiful and found it interesting that so many of us thought of the same name when we saw her! Autumn popped into my head with her colors and then I saw so many others also said that name.

I also like Harlie or Quin (or Quincy) that was suggested as those are nicknames for Harlequin kits in our current litter.

Great name suggestions, guys!

My husband has been calling her Sadie. I would really like to name her something more original, but it suits her, whether I like it or not. ;) And from past experience, whenever he starts calling a dog something, it usually ends up being their name.

I do like Autumn!

Curs are pretty popular around here, especially Mountain and Kemmer curs. They're more of a type, than a breed, as I don't think there are any written standards. Different bloodlines usually stem from different families and regions in the South. They are TOUGH hunting dogs, despite their generic appearance. They are popular for coon and squirrel around here. Here is one of many local ads I found: http://www.golsn.com/listings/pets-more ... 54963.html. This guy sold for $2,000!

A lot of curs have black tongues, like chows. Hers is pretty dark.

Here are some more pictures of her:

014_zpsda0c9dfa.jpg

018_zps6f8d7967.jpg

She's very wiggly, so it's hard to get a good shot of her. :)

020_zps45fd9c9b.jpg

021_zps30a6ed2a.jpg

You can see her dark tongue in this pic.

I have a 7 month old puppy that looks almost exactly like that dog. I did some research and found out that she is 1/3 Pit Bull, 1/3 Labrador Retriever, and 1/3 hound. I don't know what kind of hound, but I believe that dad was a hound mix, like two breeds of hounds together.

She is a pretty little girl. I love the name Autumn! :D

I've had the occasional rescued hunting dog (including a black and tan coon hound - that thing would tree anything! ) and that pup looks almost exactly like one I rescued several years ago except a bit smaller. We were told it was mostly plott hound which is a very popular hunting dog in the NC mountains (our state dog too). Very tough dogs.

I like everyone else's suggestions of Autumn but Sadie is nice too.
I've a pack of rescued labs right now that we are treating for heart worms and one of them is named Sadie :)

Looks like Plott and Mt. Cur mixed. There's an actual registry and program for them through UKC and national breed club, so its not entirely just a mixed up mutt. They usually have a high prey drive, least the ones I've met and couple I've played sitter for for friends. They are usually a more orange wider spaced brindle (or orange/black masked marked) and are good family dogs. They coloring on that one is more like a Plott's if it would be lightened up a bit. My sister raised Plotts for a couple years, they were big goof balls 99.9% of the time but when they were out hunting it was all business to find that coon. Mt. Curs have a bad tendency to chase chickens and cats though if not properly trained early on and they can be VERY stubborn to break from bad habits. One I sat I was told had a head of time that he would, if not leashed, take of on any scent even if it was days old to try to find a coon. While might be good for a hunter, its not good for an unknowing (and not counting on a 5 mile or more hike) person. He said he's tried to break him from running constantly like that, but never has. He's just got high drive and when out he's a darn good dog, too good to make him into a lazy house dog or even try to deep down. Mt. Curs aren't a big dog, but not a small dog either usually 35-45lbs but I have seen some big ones on hunts tipping scale at 50 and 60 lbs or slightly more. They are really common on coon hunts here, have had more than one wonder in. They are usually friendly, never had one snap or act aggressive towards me like the coon dogs that often come in with them. She looks like she'd make a good dog for you though :) Happy and friendly, plus if any pesky raccoons are around....no more garbage pick up or at least if she has any hunting blood in her...

Taken snip from UKC formal breed history:

"The Mountain Cur was declared a breed in 1957 with the organization of the Original Mountain Cur Breeders of America (O.M.C.B.A). Prior to that time, dogs of this type could only be found in very remote, rural areas and there were no organized breeding records. The most common strains of Mountain Cur included the McConnell, Stephens, Ledbetter, Arline and York strains. OMCBA was able to assemble breeders and register the original-type Mountain Cur. On the last weekend of September, 1991, a group of men and women met at Robert and Lou Ella Kemmer's house and formed a new breed club that registered a strain of line-bred cur that became known as the Kemmer Stock Mountain Cur. These curs are Mountain Curs that are bred from the above-mentioned lines. The best was bred to the best and then line bred. Kemmer Stock Mountain Curs were first registered with the Kemmer Stock Mountain Cur Breeders' Association (K.S.B.A). Mountain Curs from O.M.B.C.A. and K.S.B.A. provided the foundation stock for the U.K.C. Mountain Cur breed. Today these dogs are used on squirrel, raccoon, and all types of big game.

The Mountain Cur was recognized by U.K.C. on November 1, 1998. "

Thanks for the extra info, Rebel Rose. :)

My husband would be thrilled if she would hunt. Our Fiest turned out to be a dismal failure in that arena. (To be fair, his heart is in the right place, he just heads for the hills when he hears the gun cock.)

She's already been around chickens, and hardly even looked at them (but she did jump when one flapped it's wings, lol). Not sure she has much prey drive. She does put her nose to the ground a lot, though, so we'll see.

If she would at least go after varmints, that would satisfy me. My rat terrier that passed away a few months ago was an awesome varmint dog.

I couldn't even get our other three to chase a fox that wandered in too close to the rabbitry, the other night. They were barking like crazy in the backyard, and I let them out to chase it and they kind of stood around, leisurely sniffing the ground like, "doopty-do...". :groooan: Come on, guys, seriously?

Sounds like the Lhasa Apso we had growing up.. she barked her head off at squirrels and anything else outside, but let her out and she just stood outside barking. "Hey human! There's a varmint, get it!" LOL My mini Schnauzer on the other hand thought her mission in life was to rid the yard of anything that moved.

My 10 pound show dog is a fiesty little thing who has NO FEAR. Thankfully my 70 pound Boxer x Rotti is there to back her up when she decides to chase off the possums, raccoons, foxes and coyotes or she would have become someone's dinner a long time ago :groooan:

Dood":1sjo8281 said:
My 10 pound show dog is a fiesty little thing who has NO FEAR. Thankfully my 70 pound Boxer x Rotti is there to back her up when she decides to chase off the possums, raccoons, foxes and coyotes or she would have become someone's dinner a long time ago :groooan:

:lol: Little dogs need a big dog friend sometimes. My Schnauzer was getting up there in age by the time my Boxer was grown up enough to back her up, but thank God she had him. One day I heard tons of barking from her and then an urgent bark from the Boxer (he rarely barked.. ever). I went outside to see what was going on, and she was barking furiously at a porcupine. He was doing his best to block her from getting close to it. The Schnauzer didn't have a mark on her, the poor boxer got quilled in the hind legs. Of course my mother tried to point out how much trouble my Boxer was, but I know who was to blame for that one.

Back