Is this normal?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gearmpr

Reaction score
I've been having problems breeding my doe for a while, she's been playing hard to get. So I started petting her daily and after about two night freezes, I saw her sniffing around his cage. So I checked her vent and she's still pale pale pink with little moisture and when I would pet her she never would lift, but I decided to put them together to see what would happen anyway. When I did, she didn't run anymore and actually lifted for him without hesitation. I'm wondering why? Even though she showed no outward signs of being ready at all. Did she just give in or something?

I don't ever check the color of my rabbits vents. I just put them together and if they don't breed than I try again the next day. My rabbits usually don't lift for me if I pet them, only for the males. I bet she was ready to breed.

The "readyness to breed" symptoms only indicate when the does are at their peak fertility and more likey to be receptive to the buck. Your does hormones were likely a bit higher so she accepted him

Rabbits are induced ovulators and can become pregnant any time they mate (unless there are already buns in the oven) and do not have set cycles of when they can and cannot conceive

Sometimes I check and sometimes I just pitch the doe in there. Some does are difficult at all times, some does are ready to breed at all times, and then there's the portion that checking color can help you make decisions.

Back