Is there such a thing?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crookdbeak13

Reaction score
I hope those of you color genius' out there can help me! On Saturday, I will be picking up a doe from an ad on craigslist. I am going to post the listing here, and you all will be able to see the doe and maybe that will help me some! She is listed as a BEW Flemish X....of course I will see on Saturday, but in the picture (and I know they can cloud or have discolorations) she appears to be a REW and not a BEW???

I am curious because I will be crossing her with my REW Flemish/New Zealand Buck and I know that his sire is Steel and his Dam is Black, and when bred with my NZ/Rex? Doe (Broken Red) they threw Black, white, and Broken Black/White and a red.

I am not breeding to sell, but to stock the freezer and have some pretty pelts to do stuff with, so I am curious as to what potential colors I could see.

Any input is appreciated! I will post pictures of Buster and the link for the doe I will be picking up:

http://richmond.craigslist.org/grd/4831910108.html

Buster:

The most recent litter and their dam ( There was 8 born alive, but 5 chilled due to being pulled out of the nest box overnight when they were 2 days old; nest box has since been fixed)

Dam:

Thanks again :bunnyhop:

the BEW seems to look a little Ermine-ish to me on the listing. So I would suspect she would through you Chestnut agouti, chinchilla, ermine, steel, and if bred to the right buck blue chinchilla.

When I was looking up the BEW thats what I was reading, that it was most likely Ermine. Thanks so much! I am new to the color side of things and it is extremely confusing!

I agree that the doe in the ad is an ermine (AKA frosty). She seems a bit small to be a purebred Flemish giant :shrug:

Bred to your REW buck you will likely get chinchillla and possibly silver tip steel or blacks or ermine - you cannot get chestnut, gold tip steel or red since neither parent has a full colour gene :)

PS - I think your broken red doe is a broken chestnut, do you have a better picture of her colour?

Thanks Dood! She is listed as a Flemish Cross....I haven't yet asked what she is crossed with...I am attaching the best picture of the broken doe that I have....

Hope those help....She was bred again 12/30/14--actually watched about 6 successful fall offs so hopefully lots more colorful kits on the way!

This flemish cross doe is supposed to be a great mother/foster doe so I am anxious to get her here, out of isolation, then bred!

Thanks again!

She does look red in these pictures but with so little colour it is tricky to tell for certain

If she is a red and you keep back a male from the ermine doe and breed it to her you should get more reds and ermines :) (as well as chestnut and chinchilla and possibly whites/REW) in solid and broken pattern

In the pictures all their dark eyed rabbits have red tint do to flash, I would say it is a bew. My Flemish steel gray has 2 bew kits she was bread to a flemish light gray.

Attachments

• BEW 003.jpg
    BEW 003.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 2,502
Blue Eyed Whites are created by ANY colour of rabbit getting two copies of the Vienna gene - see picture. Rabbits in a litter from a BEW crossed to any other colour will often have white patches on their feet and/or nose and/or neck and/or have blue or partially blue eyes because they all carry one copy of the Vienna gene - see pic of "Vienna marked"

White-ish rabbits with brown, grey or blue eyes are created by chinchilla colored rabbits also being non-extension or red rabbits being chinchilla'd. Frostys /ermines often have faint dark areas on their ear tips as seen on the doe in the craigslist ad. BEW do not have one speck of coloured fur anywhere on their bodies

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 2,498
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 2,493
Did you ask if her eyes are blue? Because they may mean that one parent had blue eyes and the other was a flemish giant.

Dood":3vffphau said:
She does look red in these pictures but with so little colour it is tricky to tell for certain

If she is a red and you keep back a male from the ermine doe and breed it to her you should get more reds and ermines :) (as well as chestnut and chinchilla and possibly whites/REW) in solid and broken pattern

Dood: Here is another picture of the Broken NZx doe It shows more of her color better

I think the doe for sale is an ermine.
They can have brown or steely blue eyes.

There is even an all white line of FG in my area with those colors.
http://www.hoobly.com/nsyCX/white-black ... abbits.htm

Although they refer to them as black eyed whites, I think, a more accurate description would be "dark eyed white".
They do admit that they are genetically greys, which means "chinchilla".

It only stands to reason that they used non-extension (from fawn flemish) to "remove the grey pigment."
In any other breed they would be called ermine or frosty.

It all makes perfect sense if those kits for sale are out of her or related rabbits. I'm not seeing any Vienna marks, but I am seeing chinchilla color.

wow! those are some beautiful blue eyed bunnies Dood!!

well you can breed to a REW buck or the broken red buck and then breed back to her so see what all she carries. some line-breeding can result in some BEAUTIFUL rabbits

Celice":20no4mmy said:
wow! those are some beautiful blue eyed bunnies Dood!!

well you can breed to a REW buck or the broken red buck and then breed back to her so see what all she carries. some line-breeding can result in some BEAUTIFUL rabbits

I plan on breeding her to the Flemish/NZ buck...The Broken is actually a doe, and she was just re bred on 12/30/14 so hopefully there will be more popples by the end of January!

I was wondering if the kits in the ad were hers as well, and plan to ask a bunch of questions when I pick her up! Thanks for the help everyone!

__________ Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:12 pm __________

I picked up Missy on Friday... she is 9 months old and 13.3 lbs. She does have silver tipping all over her!!! Her sire (Sandy Flemish Giant) is 22 and her dam (REW NZW) is 12lbs so she still may have a bit of growing to do. I wasn't aware until they edited their craigslist ad after her purchase, but the original picture I posted was one of her kits and the steel colored ones were a few of hers and one of her sisters. They bred her once to make sure she was a good mom prior to selling. Her mother was one of their best, but ended up being culled because she couldn't recover from heat stroke last year. Her sister was not a very good mother and she ended up fostering her kits.

And now the long awaited pictures---

What do you guys think?! And I appreciate all input.

Yep, that's an ermine!!
The steel didn't come from her, since she's a non-extension color so she can't carry it. (But could throw them if bred to one)

She looks...massive?

Zass":14ribt7j said:
Yep, that's an ermine!!
The steel didn't come from her, since she's a non-extension color so she can't carry it. (But could throw them if bred to one)

She looks...massive?

I have her "pedigree" just for my records, its just outside still in the truck and its raining. As soon as I get all of it transferred into Kintracks I will upload it. I don't remember which colors exactly went past her sire. Her dam line is all REW NZW. I really like her coloring and I am hoping that bred to my REW Flemish/NZW buck that they will make some nice growouts for me.

Massive is an understatement. I don't generally worry to much about handling the rabbits, but she is a little intimidating with her size and the feeling that if she sunk those claws in she could do some major damage!

EnglishSpot":14ribt7j said:
Pretty color! She looks like she'd be a gentle giant!

She was very gentle when I picked her up from the breeder, but she has been a little skittish since then, so I am letting her get settled in and still petting her daily so that she gets used to me. When I went to pet her and get her out the carrier on Saturday, she grunted and lunged!! I was surprised, but figured it was just because she was feeling a little anxious.

I'm currently working on a line of all ermine netherland dwarf. I've got to cull the tan gene out which I'm going to use regular chinchillas to test for it because it's so much easier to see on a full extension rabbit.

Latest posts

Back