Is there an app for that?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SarahMelisse

Reaction score
Does anyone know of some sort of pedigree management "app" or even just herd management app (keeping track of when to put the nest box in, due dates, kit weights etc.) for the iPad or even iPhone? It doesn't have to be free and it doesn't even have to be rabbit specific. I'd really love to just refer to things on my iPad instead of tracking down my record binder all the time and I don't have a computer.

I don't have an Ipad or a fancy phone, so forgive my ignorance- but if they have Microsoft Windows, you could try Evans Software. I have their deluxe program and it has the features you are looking for.

http://evans-software.com/

True... Does any know of a good web-based program. I am just not finding anything for the iPad.

MSD: unfortunately regular computer programs do not work on the iPad. You need an iPad or iPhone specific program. :( The biggest downfall of having an iPad instead of a computer... But I worked my butt off at the county fair last summer to buy one so I sure as heck am going to find something to work on this thing! Lol!

SarahMelisse":3m72sf3f said:
MSD: unfortunately regular computer programs do not work on the iPad. You need an iPad or iPhone specific program.

Oh. :( You might contact the company anyway and see if they would consider working on an App. It could be quite lucrative for them.

3mina":3m72sf3f said:
Evans does have an Apple version

They do? Aren't Apple and Mac pretty much the same thing? To quote from their home page: "We do not produce software for Mac computers."

MamaSheepdog":3nwmqng3 said:
You might contact the company anyway and see if they would consider working on an App. It could be quite lucrative for them.
I think I will! With all the rabbit people out there and considering I can't find any apps yet... It would be a great opportunity for them.

This is the email I received back from Evans seconds ago. It looks as if nothing of the sort is in the works or will be anytime soon. Too bad :(

"At the present time all our software is PC only, although it will run on Mac computers if the user installs Windows on the Mac, and then accesses it via BootCamp.

We will be adding a feature to our program this summer that allows the chores portion to be operated on Android devices, and, if this proves to be popular, we will attempt to port it over to the Apple equivalents. At the present time hand-held devices would have trouble coping with the full database portion of the program, but as they continue to improve in processing power, we hope to ultimately be able to offer the full program on the smaller devices, but this is quite a few years in the future. There is no way to just transfer the software over, and it is about a 4000 hour task to perform a total rewrite, so we have to be sure that the devices will support it, and that there will be enough sales to cover a development that massive."

I use Homestead Manager but it doesn't have a iPad or iPhone app to my knowledge. Seems like there was one that I looked at that was webbased but I can't recall it's name...let me see if I can find it again...

__________ Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:26 pm __________

hehehe...have you looked at ped2web? the one advertised on this site? it might be what you are looking for. It is not the one I recall looking at but it looks good...if I didn't already have homestead manager I might actually use ped2web...<br /><br />__________ Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:29 pm __________<br /><br />ahhh...here it is... http://www.globalpedigree.com/

Ha! Really... You mean the one I see every time I load this page? Lol. I don't know why I didn't think of that. Jeez... I must be tired or blind or something. I'll look into both of those Frecs.

I have ped2web and I can access most of it from my tablet. They're working out the kinks and I should be able to use the full program from my tablet soon.

I have a program I wrote for windows that I track my pedigrees and reminders with and can customize it to my liking. Now I have see a few sites that offer online web based sites that may work. here is another one http://ephiny.net/ looks like its just for pedigrees but not sure and the http://www.globalpedigree.com/ looks very nice for a small fee

I signed up for a month of Global Pedigree to see if I like it. Ped2web didn't accept paypal and I don't have (or want) a credit card so it will just be there if GP doesn't work out. I did like Ped2web's layout better though.

I use globalpedigree.com its web based, but you can access it anytime from any computer. It about $1 a month. And iam on my HP touchpad when I use it most of the time.

SarahMelisse":2ekqzegi said:
Ha! Really... You mean the one I see every time I load this page? Lol. I don't know why I didn't think of that. Jeez... I must be tired or blind or something. I'll look into both of those Frecs.

BunnyMaster is another web based one...<br /><br />__________ Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:21 am __________<br /><br />
SarahMelisse":2ekqzegi said:
I signed up for a month of Global Pedigree to see if I like it. Ped2web didn't accept paypal and I don't have (or want) a credit card so it will just be there if GP doesn't work out. I did like Ped2web's layout better though.

The thing I don't like about GP and some of the other web based ones is that they only do pedigree management and not herd management, like Evans, Cunitec and Kintraks do.

SarahMelisse":6zpgznzv said:
GP does do some herd management. They have breeding, kindling, sales, weaning, and weights. Very similar to ped2web

That must be new, they did not have it when I first looked at it. Does it have a Task Manager area? Where you can tell it how often you want to do things and will make a list or send a reminder? The biggest thing for me, and very few have it, is a robust financial reporting module.<br /><br />__________ Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:16 pm __________<br /><br />
Frecs":6zpgznzv said:
What "herd management" features are you referring to, OAF? I use Homestead Manager...just wondering if I'm missing anything....

Tracking weights, breeding dates, kindling dates, litter sizes...scheduling tasks and sending reminders or having a task list you can pull up and see what is due to be done that day, etc.

Latest posts

Back