Is she showable

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

preciousgurl63

Reaction score
I have a Black tort MR doe that is over a yr old. My 3 yr old niece keeps telling me she wants to show her but I don't know if she is showable. Can anyone tell me? Also how old does my niece need to be before she is able to show an animal?

Attachments

• M3.jpg
    M3.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 299
  • M2.jpg
    M2.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 299
  • M1.jpg
    M1.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 299
How much does she weigh? I'm not the greatest at judging rabbits but she looks showable to me.

Yes, black tort is showable and must weigh under 4 1/2 lbs if doe at senior weight. She is pretty long in shoulder and though not properly posed seems to lack depth.

Any rabbit can be shown.

But I agree that the doe is not Grand Champion material :)

I'd attend a local fair or show with my neice to see what the competition is like and ask her how well she thinks the tort will do. If she doesn't care about winning, is realistic about her chances or just wants the experience then go for it.

Mini Rex in the WV/OH/PA area (depending on what show but most are this way) pretty stiff in competition both in open and in youth. There are some nice breeders in the area that are in the top 10 here by the national club. I show MR myself mainly brokens since I do tri colors but do show some solids as well. Youth are usually easier going than open, and it would be a good learning experience. As long as the rabbit above fits into the breeds mins, it can be shown. Do not expect it to be a first placer though and explain that not every one is a good sport at shows sadly :( but its to have fun with rabbits and learn. Its not at every show I've seen issues, but there's been a few (mostly with the open) sour grapes.

Torts are fairly common, not as much as they used to be (more blacks and brokens lately and 1 or 2 torts though or at least at the ones I've been to). Will have to post some of the ones I've taken to shows that I've gotten mid/last classes with, every rabbit has issues its a learning process but can be very fun. Need to work on posing, back feet are close to where they should be at the hip point but front feet are far from where they should be (should be even with corner of eye). Try thinking of a half basketball when posing, front of foot should line up with hip and high point of curve, front foot should set at corner of the eye with feet all down on the table. Depending on build, may not be able to actually get her posed in ball form (what will be comfortable and doable for her build but otherwise correctly posed is aim). Trying to evaluate not posed properly is very hard. She does look like he is long and hollow in the midsection, maybe bit pinched. Good head/ear that looks like it should balance with body though and clean color. Do you have a SOP? Any plans for any shows? There is one coming up soon, May 10th at Mineral Wells in WV that is with in easy driving distance of some OH places. It isn't a real big show, but its friendly and would be a good start. Youth show age was changed not to long ago to a min of 5 years of age. You could still get a start though on learning and meeting people though :).

Thanks everyone so much. I'm not to worried about winning but my niece might be since she is a little young still. She thinks she should win everything but she is slowly learning that she can't win everything. Here are some more pics of her. I don't know how good they are since I have never posed a rabbit. Plus she really wasn't wanting her picture taken today.

Attachments

• M4.jpg
    M4.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 248
  • M3.jpg
    M3.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 248
  • M2.jpg
    M2.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 248
  • M1.jpg
    M1.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 248
She looks okay to me. Although she does look bigger than the maximum 4 1/2 pounds.

She looks like she has a lot of protruding guard hairs over her hips and shoulders (you can especially see these in the first picture in your latest post), has long shoulders and is pinched in the hindquarters. However, I don't see any DQs in the photos (unless she's over the maximum weight limit - even then, judges don't always check weight), so I'd go ahead and show her and see what comments you get from the judge. Even when you don't win, showing is still helpful in evaluating your stock.

Ok. If I don't show her I will eventually get a one my niece can show. Right now she is just finally getting her fur back from her first litter and might be a little fat from making sure she had enough to feed her babies.

Back