I Need advice on a indoor cage

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

otis30

Reaction score
I have 3 rabbits. 2 will be large and one is medium sized. The 2 adults are spayed and nuetered and the baby is not yet, she will be as soon as she is old enough. I am looking for a good indoor cage that can house all 3 of them. I live in a very small apartment, so I was thinking maybe something multiple level. Keep in mind I do have a 2 year old dachshound and a niece and 3 nephews all between 4 and 8. It would need to be pet and kid safe. I want to keep them in the same cage, they have been since they were fixed. Money is also very very very tight. I know they need something bigger, now that New York winter is coming and they wont be able to go outside in there play pen. Does anyone have any ideas?

Attachments

• 001 (2).JPG
    001 (2).JPG
    37.8 KB · Views: 2,720
Any idea that I have will cost more than a few $$Bucks$$$.
I would build a cage with three sections [three separate holes.
Each with their own Door feeder and water bottle.
[This can be done with a wooden frame, Though an all Wire cage
would last longer and not become urine soaked and stinky]
1X2 or 1X1 cage wire and 1/2"X1" floor wire. [J] clip the cage together,
a cage made basically with cage wire will hold up better than a wooden cage.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

I live in a apartment, so the rabbits have to be inside. There cage is in my livingroom, so I really need one that is easy to keep clean, and looks nice. I dont have alot of space. I can spend some money, but would like to keep it near $300. They do get out of cage time.

Well heck, for $300 you should be able to find something...I had a ferret cage that was the size of a refrigerator and had multiple levels, and it was only about $100. It would almost work for you as is, instead of using ramps between levels you make the shelves overlap each other so they can just jump from level to level and can't fall all the way down, some of them have additional snap in shelves that you can purchase.

The down side is that if the rabbits pee on the shelves they will manage to hit your floor, and cleaning the shelves is sometimes a pain, depending on the configuration. Ferrets are all box trained. Anyway, look at these. http://www.ferret.com/cages/cages/887/? ... QgodUCQ6iw

You could also move the x-pen indoors on a hard floor (kitchen maybe) and work on litter box training them, so they could have some out time...after they are box trained you could let them run around in the house occasionally, when the 3 y.o. is napping and the dog is confined in another room. You would have to rabbit proof (cords and other chew-able things) and you would need to supervise...

Even just a wooden board for a shelf can give them more space if your cage is tall enough to allow it.

Also, I am not familiar with spayed/neutered rabbits. As they mature, it is possible they won't still all get along isn't it? Or does altering them completely rule out that possibility? That is why Ottersatin is suggesting 3 separate cages--our intact rabbits would possibly decide to try to kill each other one day.

the rabbit are litter trained (except the baby). The dog is friendly with them, always 100% supvised. the kids are 90% good with rabbits, main safty isue was with the cage, I dont want alot off really sharp corners, and the kids need to be able to reach the bunnies. the kids are my niece and nephews there ages are (2)4 year olds 6 and a 8 year old. I will deff check out the ferret cages

Ah, I thought when you said kid/dog proof you meant to keep the rabbits from being harmed by the kids/dog, and I got "3 y.o." from "3 nephews" somehow--sorry for the confusion! :lol: Time for me to sleep I think.

well kinda want to keep everyone safe. Most people wouldnt let a dachshound around rabbits, being they are a hunting breed and have a high prey drive, But my dog isnt all that bright and he thinks they are his friends. They are never left alone. I dont want the cage unsafe for any of the animals or the kids. I am wondering if the shevesin a ferret cage wood hold up to sylvesters weight he is atleast 8 pounds and I think he is still growing.

I used a dog crate. If they are litter box trained it's really nice. Here is what I did with our flemish giant. I used closet shelves and put carpet on the shelves. Hope this helps. I also can tell you that I paid little for the crate as it was on craigslist. Like 20 bucks. They are out there!

DSCN3315.JPG

I like the dog cage idea. Our local classified/craigslist has them daily. If you get one of the x-large ones you'd have room for probably two shelves. For curiosity, I did a google search. There's some pretty clever ideas out there. With the adults litter trained I'd think the baby would follow suit pretty easily which gives you a lot more options.

Cage made from a big cupboard

Cages from Cubes. This one links to a photo gallery (note that it has pictures for all kinds of critters, not just bunnies, but there are a lot of bunny cages too). I don't endorse all the ideals of this site, but they do have an extensive photo gallery I always found fun to look through. The really nice thing about the cubes is they're relatively cheap, easy and quick to work with, and you can build as big a cage as you have space for - you're not so limited by what's already out there. I used them to build my guinea pig cages back when I had pigs and had fun designing different cages for them.

I've never had a group of house rabbits, so I can't really speak to how nice these cages are, or how much space you'd really need to make sure everyone keeps getting along, or even how rabbit-safe the cages actually are. I just thought they looked neat and might give you some ideas. :)

Right now they are in a cage all together that is 47 inches long and 24 inches wide. but they get outside in a x-pen, but winter is coming and they cant go out, but they will have acess to the kitchen.

If you get a bunch of damaged dog crates for cheap or free from people with large destructive dogs (I've got 3 such crates) you can take the panels apart and remake them in to a larger pen or I saw someone who built a wood frame with wire and then put the panels on as doors. Also google NIC rabbit cages and the x pen rabbit cages and you'll find tons of different designs.

Neat Idea Cubes - as posted above work really well as you can set them up a million ways!

otis30":12xg9k9l said:
well kinda want to keep everyone safe. Most people wouldnt let a dachshound around rabbits, being they are a hunting breed and have a high prey drive, But my dog isnt all that bright and he thinks they are his friends. They are never left alone. I dont want the cage unsafe for any of the animals or the kids. I am wondering if the shevesin a ferret cage wood hold up to sylvesters weight he is atleast 8 pounds and I think he is still growing.

I am using Ferret Nation cages indoors for my rabbits and the shelves hold my quite solid Californian doe easily. If your rabbits are already litterbox trained that is perfect for a nice looking indoor cage with tons of room! I have one of these http://www.ferret.com/item/ferret-natio ... it/650431/ and I am going to get another tomorrow. You can add levels though buying add on kits and ones like this might be better since you have 3 rabbits http://www.ferret.com/item/marshall-pen ... ge/650478/

This is a 2 year old thread but we are now using one of these for our house rabbits
http://www.farmandfleet.com/products/61 ... jxhhT_B9ch
The only problem is a little urine leakage down the back leg where there's a small gap but we put a cool whip container under the leg with a little vinegar to catch the urine and dump it out.

Things I have used in the past for my rabbits are Neat Idea Cube type of things. They're just square grids that you can connect together easily and are very sturdy if clipped together properly. I've also used 4ft tall dog X-pens, and large (german shepherd sized) wire dog crates. You can find lots of things like these for cheap on sites like Craigslist.

Old post, but I've seen a lot of old cabinets, closets and whatnot that's been converted into beautiful and functional rabbit hutches :)

Find an old cabinet/whatever on a yard sale, cut out rectangles in the doors and replace with wire. Put in shelves. Either glue tarp/plastic table cloth onto the shelves and floor (tightly, no bubbles) or use linoleum (better, ut more expencive). It's possible to just paint as well :) Any edges need to be covered by non-toxic wood panels or metal (screw and they'll be eay to replace) but rabbits don't generally gnaw on flat surfaces. Never happened to me. Then you're done! Add shavings to soak up urine, or litter train if that's better. Add rabbits, feed and toys.

What I love with those constructions is that they're cheap and can be beautiful :) With large doors they're easy to clean and catch rabbits.

This is for a chinchilla (right name?) but it's the exact same idea. Add other shelves and it's a rabbit hutch ;)
http://willows.bloggo.nu/Ny-bur-helt-gratis--/

Back