I know, I know, but...

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lereg15

Reaction score
Ok, I've read some posts about breeding rabbits, but I am hoping for some more knowledge on NZW's around the Tn area. Here's the deal: I have 4 does, 3 1/2 months old, and 2 bucks, 5 months old, and am anxious to start raising them. I have read some about the does getting purplish, when ready and also, that it could hurt their insides if they are too young. I have also read that summertime is not a good time to breed them in the heat. I don't know what I should do, but I'd like to breed them in about 2 weeks, if possible and safe.

It was 87 today, and where I am keeping them, it didn't get over 82, and they all were fine with it. I even put in a frozen bottle, but all they did was tear the wrapping of of it. Duh, I should have known better to remove it first, :shock: .

I know that everybody is different, as is every bunny. What I don't know is if I could possibly breed them in a couple of weeks or if I should wait until they are a little older, and skip the heat? This will be a first for all of them, and myself as well, so I don't want to have more risks than necessary.

Also, should/could I breed all of them at the same time, or would that be a lot of work for a beginner? I know some of you breed a small herd at once, but I am new and not really sure what to expect. I also know that first time mom's aren't exactly the best either.

If anybody could help me, I thank you in advance!!

It's pretty young.

But yeah, I do have a doe with 9 babies here right now who became pregnant right around that age.
Shea's doing wonderful, and growing well despite nursing so many..

I think the real question is, how much do those girls weigh? If they are getting pretty close to their adult weights and will lift willingly for a buck, I don't see a problem.

Heat can be. That will depend on your area, and your rabbits.

If you decide they are ready, breeding them together is best. That way you have a backup doe in case something goes wrong.

That's kind of my problem, Zass. I don't know how to tell if they are 'ready' or not. I also dont have a scale yet, but the bucks are close to 8-9 lbs. As for the does, I'd say around 6-7 lbs. I'm not sure if that is close enough to weight or not for the does. When I got the does, they were pretty small, but only about 2 weeks ago. They've since grown about a pound or 2 since I've had them, but they are not looking plump, just getting bigger. Maybe the food or surroundings, or just happier, I dont know?

Obviously, I got them from around here, but they said we are expecting a hot summer. Of course they said we were having a cold winter too, I didn't think they were talking about the ice storm that cut our power off for about 4 days, as being the cold winter. We usually don't go much higher than 95 degrees, which is only for about 2 or 3 days, but whose to say what the Almighty has in store for us this year?

We had a cold winter. I've never seen it dip into the -20's so much here.
I bred all winter long. (Quite successfully, I might add.)

If they are NZ, I'd go by 8 lbs for breeding weight, since they should reach 10-12 lbs adult weight. Typically, meat does are heavier than bucks.

You're not all that far from me, and the other day I saw a long range weather thing on the news and they said that starting the beginning to mid June we would be seeing higher than usual temps. That would be right around kindling time.

I breed my NZ does at five months and have not had any problems. I haven't tried breeding earlier, but I agree with Zass, I would look at their current weights and go from there. I'm just not sure I would do it now, because of the weather. I bred a doe May 1st because a buyer wanted her bred, but he has backed out of the purchase. So I am fretting over her already.

I usually start my breeding up again at the end of August for kindlings hopefully when the temps start to drop in late September. I, too, breed all through the winter, without problems. Even the winter before this past one when we had the sub zero temps for a week or so.

I have a small rabbitry and I breed two does at the same time for the reason Zass mentioned. It is comforting to know you have the option to foster if needed. How many you breed at once is more a function of how much growout space you have. My NZ does usually give me from 8 to 13 kits each. I have 23 5 1/2 week olds at the moment, and space is at a premium.

So, I guess I should possibly hold off for now, until I can see what the weather is doing. Plan B could be moving them into our garage or basement too though. I'll try to get a scale to see how much they weigh sometime soon, so I can be be sure of their actual weight!

One more thing to consider with breeding: if you're going to be selling any of the kits, buyers (around here, anyway) peak in late spring (about now) and fall off dramatically after that.

Well, I already have a couple of them sold, with cages too!! I also work at a restaurant, which could be beneficial as well, but I'll have to do some more talking to the boss for that. If nothing else, I have read some recipes on here that sound delicious!! I just need another freezer to be able to hold them and the water bottles in, :) .

I live northwest of Atlanta. My rabbits are in the shade out doors. I don't breed from May-August., and start up again the last week of August or beginning of September. If they are at breeding weight and are wanting to be bred, I'd consider moving them to a cooler indoors spot for the summer. Otherwise, they'll be the perfect age when August rolls around!

I raise NZW'S as well. I usually breed the does at around 5 months old. I also breed straight through the summer depending on the condition of the doe. In other words I am not going to do any 14 day rebreeds in the heat of summer. I usually stick to 42 or 56 day rebreeds from June through mid September. That way the doe only gets stuck nursing one litter through the heat.

I will say that developing heat tolerance in my strains is one of the major goals in my breeding program so observing and recording the does performance during the.summer months is critical to my breeding program.

Weaning weights are lower for me during summer naturally.

-- Tue May 12, 2015 10:16 am --

Also it is worth noting that my rabbitry is outdoors and the only measures I.take during the heat of summer are fans and a sprinkler on a timer that wets the.roof of the rabbitry I have very few rabbits that show signs of heat stress even on the hottest of days. If a rabbit starts showing signs of heat stress they get a frozen water bottle in their cage. Unless that rabbit is nursing a litter it gets put on my "to cull" list.

Thanks all. I'm still not sure what I want to do yet though. Our basement stays relatively cool all year, so I might bring them in there. I don't think it ever really gets over about 75 in there.

Also, what exactly is the reason for not breeding in the heat? Is it the stress on the doe, or on the kits? Maybe a little of both?

lereg15":3kum6v2l said:
Thanks all. I'm still not sure what I want to do yet though. Our basement stays relatively cool all year, so I might bring them in there. I don't think it ever really gets over about 75 in there.

Also, what exactly is the reason for not breeding in the heat? Is it the stress on the doe, or on the kits? Maybe a little of both?

It seems harder on the doe, but that in turn transfers to the kits. I don't have any problems until temps hit the low to mid 90's depending on humidity and wind speed. When the temps hit 90 the fans get turned on.

Back