I know I am not the only this has happened to...

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Had a rabbit get away from me and take off into the woods :oops:

The brightsides to the situation?

-Proved that ODS's pup, now that she is away from her psycho sister, will be OK with other animals (she was at my feet when it happened)
-It was a rabbit I didn't really plan on keeping (too small to be a breeder)
-It was harlequinized chestnut, so at least it has some camo compared to a white rabbit.

Not so good side?

-Wasted meat! I didn't plan on keeping it for a breeder, but man, we could have at least gotten a meal or two out of him!
-It was my oldest son's favorite rabbit from that litter. It always happens to "his" animals :?
-Hopefully he doesn't suffer if something does get ahold of him :( Maybe he'll venture back? Doubt he'll let me catch him though.

I know it's not totally unheard of for it to happen (I know I read of at least one other RT member that admitted it ;) ), but I feel like such a dimwit. I blame lack of sleep for my slow reflexes.

If it's a buck, expect to see him hanging around your doe's pens. ;)

I've actually caught an escapee buck by bringing a receptive doe out of her pen and setting her on my lap. The buck ran up and tried mounting her right there. :oops:

Zass":3iu18exb said:
If it's a buck, expect to see him hanging around your doe's pens. ;)

I've actually caught an escapee buck by bringing a receptive doe out of her pen and setting her on my lap. The buck ran up and tried mounting her right there. :oops:

Ok, that's hilarious!

It's a young buck. I actually was trying to check to see if he was... mature... or not ;)

It happened with my rescue doe. She's a clever one and managed to get her cage open. I found her on the other side of the house investigating my car tires (up till then I had no idea she had gotten out :lol:). I was able to catch her easily though at that point. She is now my doe with the 5 fatties (her first litter).

I had 2, 3 week old kits escape from me the other day, and have only found one, so far. It was my fault because I had too much room on the sides of the feeders.

Also, I sold a guy 4 from another litter and he lost them, but has since found them.

DH thought it would be a good, fun challenge tonight after supper to go on a rabbit hunt. Some how they got him back!

ODS was in tears when I told him "But I raised him from a little baby" - ummm... excuse me?? You fed him maybe 4 times over the last 12 weeks :roll: You, my son, did not raise that rabbit. But whatever.

My first ND buck, named him Cotton Candy, and he LOVED to get out! (which he would do often) and when he was either:

-Hungry
-Bored
-Wanted a Doe
-Or was tired of getting chased

We would catch him again! Funny thing was, he really enjoyed us chasing him, he made it into a real game! He was one-of-a-kind ;)
And he left a looong time ago :D

BlueHaven":2kdht0l3 said:
I find a long handled fish net, can come in quite handy.

I learned this one real quick with the polts. Darn banty roosters ;)

The net is a great idea!
I live in fear of this happening!
The rabbitry is quite sound, so when anyone has gotten out in there, we just corner them with the handy dandy broom.
With our outdoor big pen I am learning how quickly they can dig out... so far no escapees, but I have to go back to the drawing board for now.
I would think a buck would be easier than a doe LOL

I got live traps for christmas last year, after getting a NZ doe from a friend who was an absolute escape artist. First time she got loose, I rented a live trap and caught her by closing the shed door so the only way for her to get in and "visit" with the other rabbits was to jump into the trap. It took me a week to finally think of that and catch her. The 2nd time she escaped(I thought I'd left the door open the 1st time) both she AND her sister went walk about - I was able to just grab her sister, and trapped her the 1st night of freedom(using the live traps I had gotten as an early christmas gift, LOL). I then used dog leash clips to secure the cage shut, and have yet to use my live traps again, lol.

I had one get out yesterday .... luckily he was easy to catch , didn't even make me chase him.

The last mess that got out was 9 of about 6 weeks old .... you know , when they are lightning fast. Took me (with a fish net) the dogs & kids to round them all up.

Hm, my rabbits get out of the fence from time to time, but never go far. And when I shoo (just standing there and walking behind them) or bait them back (I trained them like cats, when shaking the pellet box they head for their hutch) they go exactly the way they came - very good for finding the loopholes. Important thing is: Keep calm, never chase and try to catch the rabbit if you haven't made something like a weir or have an area where you can trap and corner it. They don't go home when exited and frightend, and not easily somewhere that looks like a dead end to them. If everything is calm and it's just to get rid of that stupid, naggy human they go home.

That of course only applies when you know where the rabbit is, if not I use a simple trap (big box or container supported by a T-shaped twig, with something very yummy on the end that is near the center of the container. And an alarm that goes off when the trap closes, they are pretty good at getting out when given time.

Does are great bait too, caught a wild rabbit once by putting a fence around him while he admired my doe through the wire...

Latest posts

Back