I dont understand!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GBov

Reaction score
So I have a tenant for life - doe belongs to me care patient and lives in my rabbitry - that is earning her keep by giving me litters of smallish, but chunky, kits.

First crossed her with a chinchilla NZ cross buck and half her kits were a grey tipped white, like she is, and the other half were chin colored.

Next I crossed her with a NZ red buck.

And got all red kits!

Not reddish or brownish red but RED RED.

How did she make all red kits?

Cant even make a gues as to what she is. She has dark greyish eyes and is a white with a greyish frosted look. A very odd color indeed but nope, not a speck of red.

She sounds like a frosty which is a genetically a chinchilla coloured red rabbit so breeding her to the red produced all red kits - likely because the buck has two "full colour" genes and is not secretly carrying chinchilla, shaded, himilayan or REW on his C-locus.

He and doe must have quite a few Rufus factors to get a nice rich red instead of orange or fawn

"She sounds like a frosty which is a genetically a chinchilla coloured red rabbit...."

Wow, never in the world would I have gotten there with her color looking like it does. But that would explain the chin color kits too, wouldn't it?

So if I breed her to my broken red NZ buck I should get some nice hides indeed. :cool: <br /><br /> __________ Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:16 pm __________ <br /><br /> Going one step farther, what might I expect from her if crossed with a self blue? Or a broken black?

I sold all her first lot of kits, she has 5 weaned and ready to go so I want to breed her again and, to be honest, am a bit tired of little red rabbits. :lol:

She is agouti based while black and blue/dilute are self based so you will likely just get chestnuts (or broken chestnuts if bred to the broken black.)

There are a ton of possible colours since we dont know what hidden recessives the bucks carry

If the doe carries self you could get blacks
If she carries dilute you could get opal, if she carries self and dilute you could get blue

If the bucks carry non extension you could get red or if the doe carries self you could get tort
If the bucks carry chinchilla, shaded, himilayan or REW you could get chinchilla or if they carry non extension you could get frosty or sallander if the doe carries self

Do you have any information on the bucks parents, siblings or colours they've produced with other does?

They are all pretty young yet so not many litters under their belts.

Red Bull ( self red) has made a litter of all black kits when crossed with a REW doe and two litters of all red when crossed with my shaded chinchilla mutt doe.

Imperious (broken red) has produced one litter of badly marked broken red (and two self red kits) when paired with a nicely marked broken red doe.

Still no luck with Jet Blue (self blue) but at least he is trying now.

And the self blue and the broken black rex bucks are still keeping me waiting. Mag Pyer did produce a litter of broken kits but the doe was new and got them REALLY clean. After all, legs and things are so untidy. :roll: So I don't know what color they would have been.

7 does due in 10 days so a bit more data on the bucks. The breeder I went to for my breeding stock bred for litter size, grow out rate and LOTS of color so its a bit of a guessing game who has what gene. :p

Red Bull ( self red) has made a litter of all black kits when crossed with a REW doe and two litters of all red when crossed with my shaded chinchilla mutt doe.
:shock: Well THAT'S bizarre :shock: do you have a picture of this buck and the shaded chinchilla doe?

Dood":2c61o517 said:
:shock: Well THAT'S bizarre :shock: do you have a picture of this buck and the shaded chinchilla doe?

I will get pictures of them both this weekend. FINALLY got a memory stick to take out all the pictures clogging up my PC so I will be able to put new ones in. It just yells MEMORY FULL at me now. I guess I kinda like taking rabbit pictures. :oops:

:lol: Must be another sign of rabbitosis!

Red Bull's all black litter only made it one day so they never got the chance to fur out - icy cold day + water bowl tipped into nest = dead litter :( - but they sure did look black.

You called her a Frosty, Dood - duh, how did I get shaded from Frosty? - but that is how she looks to me, a white rabbit with a shade of grey over her.

Am picking up more cages tomorrow but Sunday I shall be a shutter bug. :twisted:

Ok, that makes sense. She is basically a chinchilla'd red so this means your buck likely doesn't have any recessives on his C-locus so won't father chinchillas, California marked or REW - no "devil eyed" bunnies from him ;) <br /><br /> __________ Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:00 pm __________ <br /><br /> Doh ! I just read the older posts from Dec, sorry for the repeat of information..

Latest posts

Back