I am devastated.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

6riversfarms

Reaction score
I let Daisy our Blue Heeler sleep in the utility room last night for some unknown reason so I feel somewhat responsible that the 3 dogs from a mile or so up the road took advantage and killed 6 of our rabbits last night and were still in the process when I went to the barn this morning. The dogs were dislodging the feeders and then dragging the rabbits out of the holes where the feeders had been. They weren't eating, just murdering for no reason. They won't be murdering anymore rabbits. Judgement came hard and swift for the murdering mutts. If it had been stray dogs that were starving I would not have been so harsh. I'm sure some of you will not be happy with me but I can live with that. I live in Louisiana thankfully and dogs can be dealt with as trespassers just as humans can. Good riddance.

Needless to say the debate in my head is settled as to whether or not to use the dog wire that I used for bean trellises this year to enclose and secure the rabbitry. It shall be done.

We lost Slade our only American buck, Monarch our only Florida White buck, and 4 growouts. Thankfully Slade serviced Grace our American doe yesterday a total of four times so hopefully she took and Slade's beautiful genes can be carried on. Monarch also had all three of our Florida White does bred at the time of his death. RIP.

That is so sad. I am sorry those dogs did that to your Rabbits. People really need to keep their animals on their own property. There is no excuse for such a thing to happen. I would have to say I would defend my property the same way. I hope you get huge and healthy litters from the breedings.

I am so sorry! What an awful thing to wake up to and have to deal with. Depending on how Daisy feels about trespassing dogs, it may have been a blessing that she was inside, or she may have joined in the kill, and you would be burying your own dog today. At least you wont have further trouble with that pack of dogs. Hopefully you can get restitution from the owner of the dogs for your rabbits and be able to replace your bucks.

I hope the project of securing your rabbitry goes well.

((Hugs))

No one mad here. You did the right thing. Now you don't have to worry about those trespassers any more. So sorry to hear about your loss. I think your plan to further secure your rabbitry is a good move.

Karen

IANAL YMMV

File a report/complaint with law enforcement and present the costs as REPLACEMENT costs (similar bloodlines, conformation, shipping) for each one lost. And include your time/effort as part of the invoice. You can't claim against future litters/losses in most states, but you can claim your time and effort at an hourly rate. Then, discuss your PAIN AND SUFFERING in case you need to go to court.

IANAL YMMV

AnnClaire":ucp4t3ch said:
IANAL YMMV

File a report/complaint with law enforcement and present the costs as REPLACEMENT costs (similar bloodlines, conformation, shipping) for each one lost. And include your time/effort as part of the invoice. You can't claim against future litters/losses in most states, but you can claim your time and effort at an hourly rate. Then, discuss your PAIN AND SUFFERING in case you need to go to court.

IANAL YMMV

I'd report it to the police, too. Someone should pay for what their marauding canines did to your animals. :evil:

I for one find the defense of your livestock wholly acceptable, up to and including lethal means if necessary. I know that if some dog were harassing or killing my animals, I'd shoot to kill. :angry: Whoever owns those dogs needs to know that this is unacceptable and they MUST pay for the damages. Plus it might teach them a lesson about letting their killer dogs roam free...keep 'em leashed or bury them. End of story.

I'm so sorry it happened though. :(

MamaSheepdog":1pelg11e said:
I am so sorry! What an awful thing to wake up to and have to deal with. Depending on how Daisy feels about trespassing dogs, it may have been a blessing that she was inside, or she may have joined in the kill, and you would be burying your own dog today. At least you wont have further trouble with that pack of dogs. Hopefully you can get restitution from the owner of the dogs for your rabbits and be able to replace your bucks.

I hope the project of securing your rabbitry goes well.

((Hugs))

If Daisy would have been in the yard as usual it wouldn't have happened. She tolerates no tresspasers canine or otherwise. She keeps the rats, mice, coons, possums, coyotes, and all other comers including dogs run off. When we hit the yard this morning she ran over me getting out the door trying to get to the barn. That was my first clue something was wrong. She had the biggest dog on the run by the time I got into the fight.

I have three rabbits that have relatively minor injuries on thier toes and feet. I am treating them with peroxide and neosporin. Should I give Duramycin in the three injured buns water?

Im am so sorry :( but Im glad you dealt with it the way you did. GOOD JOB !!!
Id report it as well, let them know it is not alright to have dogs at large

How awful, I'm so sorry! You did the right thing. I'd make out a report and ask for restitution- replacement cost. Even here in NJ, with all our laws, it is legal to kill a dog harrassing, injuring or killing livestock on your property and the owner of the dog(s) are required to pay for your losses.

I hope that in another month you report that you have a large, healthy litter of Americans and Florida Whites.

Poor Daisy, she was probably beside herself, sounds like she is a great dog, with lots of spunk and heart.

tailwagging":3aq3e887 said:
I have a FW buck you can have if you come and get him.

I appreciate that tailwagging. That won't be necessary though. I already have a line on another from a local breeder.

I do once again greatly appreciate the offer.<br /><br />__________ Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:42 pm __________<br /><br />
LauraNJ":3aq3e887 said:
How awful, I'm so sorry! You did the right thing. I'd make out a report and ask for restitution- replacement cost. Even here in NJ, with all our laws, it is legal to kill a dog harrassing, injuring or killing livestock on your property and the owner of the dog(s) are required to pay for your losses.

I hope that in another month you report that you have a large, healthy litter of Americans and Florida Whites.

Poor Daisy, she was probably beside herself, sounds like she is a great dog, with lots of spunk and heart.

Daisy really is a great dog. She learned early on in our rabbit venture that they were off limits as food for her and were very imlortant to us. I honestly believe she would gaurd the rabbits with her life. She is the Alpha dog in our community no dobt.

I am so sorry this happened 6rivers. I am not sure but I think you are entitled to either 3 or 6 years lost income if someone or someones animal kills your livestock. It might depend on the expected life of the animal. It is something you might want to check in to.

Tommy

SOOOOOO sorry, 6riversfarms! You handled that perfectly, and I hope you can make the owners pay restitution. I also hope that all of your bred does give you wonderful litters in a few weeks!

So sad to hear about your tragedy. I would have done exactly the same thing in your shoes. I hope that you will recover, physically and emotionally, from this horrible situation. Best wishes.

trinityoaks":34p6pvlu said:
I hope you can make the owners pay restitution.
She should be able to. I've been looking up our laws for dealing with predators, and found this:
§ 2652. Liability for injury to livestock caused by dog

Any owner, harborer, or possessor of any dog that kills, harasses, or wounds livestock shall be liable to the owner of the livestock for the damages sustained, to be recovered before any court of competent jurisdiction.

CREDIT(S)

Acts 2003, No. 4, § 1, eff. May 8, 2003.

§ 2653. Unnecessary to prove knowledge that dog would injure livestock

In the prosecution of actions under this Subpart, it shall not be necessary for the plaintiff to show that the owner, harborer, or possessor of the dog had knowledge of the fact that the animal would kill, harass, or wound livestock.

CREDIT(S)

§ 2654. Right to kill dog harassing livestock

Any person finding any dog not on the premises of its owner, harborer, or possessor, which is harassing, wounding, or killing livestock, may, at the time of finding the dog, kill him, and the owner shall not be able to sustain any action for damages against the person killing the dog.

CREDIT(S)

Latest posts

Back