hybrid 1/2 cali 1/2 flemish?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LookAliveSunshine

Reaction score
Browsing through for sale adds on fb when I came across a breeder selling hybrid breeds. 1/2 cali, 1/2 flemish. I've always wanted a flemish, but not enough room let alone $ for food. So when I seen this cross, I thought this is a possibility. Has anyone seen/had/have one? The breeder doesn't know how big they will get. All I know is the mom is 11 lbs, no idea about the dad. Can this hybrid breed be pedigreed? Thanks for the help

Can this hybrid breed be pedigreed?
No. Pedigree's in rabbits is not really the same as in dogs. Any rabbit can be shown, pick a breed the rabbit looks like and enter it in. If it wins several times and you want to register the rabbit with the ARBA then you must have a 3 generation pedigree showing the parents have only been that breed of rabbit so a cross bred wouldnt qualify.

My buck is a Flemish NewZealand cross but looks NZ. When bred to my AmChin does I get kits that look more Flemish, some more NZ some more AmChin and most a combination of the 3.

I assume the doe is the Cali, since she is only 11 pounds. I would clarify that the buck is the Flemish and I would expect the kits to be 12-18 pounds depending on the size of the Flemish parent and if they are prone to pass on their size to their offspring.

LookAliveSunshine":2xcelk19 said:
Browsing through for sale adds on fb when I came across a breeder selling hybrid breeds. 1/2 cali, 1/2 flemish. I've always wanted a flemish, but not enough room let alone $ for food. So when I seen this cross, I thought this is a possibility. Has anyone seen/had/have one? The breeder doesn't know how big they will get. All I know is the mom is 11 lbs, no idea about the dad. Can this hybrid breed be pedigreed? Thanks for the help

I wouldn't touch this rabbit unless it was free, and you said the guy was selling them so I guess not. It MIGHT make a good meat rabbit, I don't know, if that's what you want it for ask the guy how long he's been breeding these crosses, if he says he's been crossing them for years and sells to meat breeders see if you can find anyone who has one and find out what they are like as producers.

Without going back and looking through your other threads I can't remember what it is you want to do with your rabbits.

If it is going to grow to 13lbs or more it is going to be just as big as any Flemish Giant.

If you want a Flemish, look for a good reputable breeder and buy one.

If you want a nice pet, a flemish isn't too expensive to feed if you only have one of them. Even space isn't an issue if you take your rabbit out of the cage every day and excersize it, I have put Flemish Giant's on a harness and leash before and taken them for a walk, just like a dog.<br /><br />__________ Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:38 pm __________<br /><br />If you want to get into showing rabbits, Dood is quite right, you don't have to have a pedigree or even a purebred, but for someone who has little rabbit knowledge and is just starting out I wouldn't recommend that. A beginner should start out with a good quality rabbit.

I disagree with Dood about pedigrees though. Any rabbit can have a pedigree, purebred or crossbred. A pedigree is just a written record of the animal's family history, that also has information about who bred the rabbit's ancestors, a rabbit pedigree is usually 3 or 5 generations.

The breeder was asking $40. I think he sells them for pets? I sent them questions, but haven't replied yet. I keep your questions in mind when he does reply back. I know they sell flemish for $100, does that seem high? Did a quick google search on cage size and seen 4'x2' as min, someone uses a 6'x3' cage. Not including a 4'x6 pen. And 1 1/2 cups of pellets? w/ unlimited hay, and how much veggies would he need? Thanks again.

The House Rabbit Society recommends 2 cups of chopped leafy vegetables per 6 pounds. This is where I figured it would become expensive. Between pellets, hay, and a lot of leafy vegetables.

1 1/2 Cup pellets, with hay will suffice. Rabbits do not need vegetables.

I would also Like to clarify that rabbits are herbivores, not vegetarians. They can eat leafy things, and veggies in small quantities.

IMHO House Rabbit Society = :lol:

LookAliveSunshine":25q67yde said:
I know they sell flemish for $100, does that seem high? Did a quick google search on cage size and seen 4'x2' as min, someone uses a 6'x3' cage. Not including a 4'x6 pen. And 1 1/2 cups of pellets? w/ unlimited hay, and how much veggies would he need?

Price should depend on quality.

This is a rough guide to what I have paid and what I know people charge round here for FGs.

Purebred no pedigree $20 - $35
Purebred with pedigree $50 - $125
Purebred show quality just weaned $60 - $150
Purebred show winner %75+

I've seen rabbits at auctions go for $300 with no history and no guarantees of anything.

Paying a high price for a rabbit does not make it any more likely to win at a show than a cheap rabbit with no pedigree.

LookAliveSunshine":25q67yde said:
The House Rabbit Society recommends 2 cups of chopped leafy vegetables per 6 pounds. This is where I figured it would become expensive. Between pellets, hay, and a lot of leafy vegetables.

As Jesse said, rabbits don't need vegetables, they don't even need hay if you feed them pellets.

I forgot to mention in my earlier post that yo can always start your own pedigree for your rabbits.

I see a fair number of flemish crosses being offered around here. I want to someday get a flemish giant and there is no way I'd get a cross. $40 for what is essentially a meat mutt, seems steep to me.

For what it is worth, when I started with rabbits, I had "drunk the kool aid" and believed in fresh veggies for rabbits. I dutifully bought a range of House Rabbit Society approved produce at the local farmer's market each week, making sure it was organic and pesticide-free.

I had SO MANY PROBLEMS. Diarrhea, gas, rabbits on-then-off their feed, it was a nightmare. My animals were unhealthy and miserable, the constant diarrhea was a MESS, I was frustrated and angry and disappointed because I did everything the "other" forum said, everything I was supposed to do!!!

I bought a very nice doe, and she IMMEDIATELY took ill...transport to her new home caused her to succumb to coccidiosis. My vet said there was nothing to be done, as did friends locally. In desperation I found this forum (that "other" forum was useless to me in my time of crisis) and while my sick doe was too far gone to save...I found a wealth of information here on RT. Such as the notion that veggies are OPTIONAL.

After I cut veggies out ENTIRELY, all my problems with my rabbit's digestive systems magically went away!!! I switched to a feed that the "other" forum said to stay away from but someone on here suggested. I cut out veggies and fed limited amounts of hay. These days I do feed some "kitchen waste" (carrot tops, broccoli stems, strawberry greens, stuff like that) but NOT MUCH, and if a rabbit got funny I'd cut it out first and see if the problem alleviates.

IMO, the idea that rabbits NEED veggies is folly. Most of my rabbits get sick on the AR and House Rabbit Society recommendations. I had a rabbit die from what I now suspect to be dehydration from diarrhea. It was beyond frustrating.

I would maybe feed some scraps of veggies as an occasional treat, but a staple of the diet? Nope.

I too agree that $40 is a LOT for what is basically a mutt. For $40, I'd want a pedigree and a purebred, possibly even a show-quality animal. Sounds to me like this guy is capitalizing on this "designer" animal craze. Crossbreds shouldn't be more expensive than purebreds unless we're talking a purely production standpoint.

I would have to say 40 is a bit to much for that cross...around here if you buy unpedigreed...there are plenty of days you can get a full cali for $5 and a full flemish for 20 so you could have both components for less o_O I even saw a craigeslist ad recently offering free full flemish giants o_O My first 3 flemish were 20 and I even got a flemish cali cross from the breeder...the cali/flemish cross was batty as can be and didn't stay long...but the flemish were all dolls. since some calis arent the nicest rabbits by crossing the two breeds you can lose the gentle giant part that makes flemish so lovable...so it isnt a cross I would suggest getting as a pet :/

@Ivory, thank you for the pricing suggestions/examples. I'll keep that in mind.
@Kyle, thanks for the heads up. I plan on feeding pellets and a little hay.
@Sinnfox, whoa those prices seem crazy low. On CL I've seen cali go for $10-15. And the breeder I talked to wanted $100 for their show pedigree FG. May I ask where about in TX u r? I'm in NW Houston.

Fort worth/ dallas area those prices aren't year round...just certain times of the year...10 is about average for calis year round though...but I see flemish giants up for anywhere from 20 to 200 regularly..think there are actually some up for 25 currently though...

So the breeder got back to me. "the mom is 12# calif and the dad is 100% pedigree flemish. the kits all look like him. they are 25.00 because of the less amount of flemish. the more flemish (flemish hybrid mom ) the higher. They are pet quality (meat too) because they are not pedigree. they look just like flemish (big ears) but I dont know how big they get because I sell them so fast. What I have are 3 mos old."

I don't know anything about genetics/colors etc.) but can a flemish hybrid doe be bred with a flemish? I've heard of cross breeding, and purebred breeding, but never hybrid with purebred. (I think I typed that right?) Little nervous b/c I don't know what size the rabbit would be or how it would look? Would it look the fg but smaller since it's less flemish and more cali? I don't know what the dad looks like, the kits in the pic that was included looked like black and fawn?

any mix of rabbit can be bred together, just have to consider the personal combination (aka breeding a dwarf to a giant could be problematic).

Breeding flemish cross to flemish... easily doable. :)

If he ownes a 1/2 Cali 1/2 Flemish doe, ask what she weighs or better yet get pictures to see if she looks like a flemish, also ask if she is related to the father of these kits. It can help determine what they may grow up to be.

If you look up pictures of Flemish some of their typical features are extra long ears, fine chiseled facial features and a mandolin shaped body. I think a Californian would compiment theses traits and be a better choice to cross with a Flemish than say a New Zealand. Although a Beveran or AmBlue or giantChin would be an even better cross.

Rabbits can all be interbred, just like dogs. I agree that he is capitalizing on demand for Flemish and over charging for what is equivalent to a golden doodle, but if people are willing to pay that much for a mutt then so be it.

LookAliveSunshine":yavo2yrd said:
@Ivory, thank you for the pricing suggestions/examples. I'll keep that in mind.

From what I've read it sounds as though rabbits are a lot cheaper in Texas than they are here in Canada. So bear that in mind too.

I had two Flemish does... they will seriously eat as much as a goat! I highly do not recommend them other then percentages mixed with other meat breeds for meat purposes. which it seems you just want for a pet.

i'd say if you can afford to feed a medium/large dog every month then you can afford to feed a Flemish. they are big and need space and will weigh a lot. 13-18lbs in crosses I've heard of/seen.

honestly I never have paid more then 15 for a mutt breed unless it came with a cage (since I pay 15-25 for used cages anyway) and even so I won't pay more then 35 for it with cage. since so many people sell Californians and New Zealand pure breeds for meat at those prices a "designer mutt" for more seems a little to much like a scam to me (I feel the same about the "designer dogs") I can't help but think why pay more for a mutt then you would for a purebred?

Hybrid is a fancy word people use for mutt or mix breed.
A true hybrid is the offspring produced from 2 different species ie horse x donkey = mule a hybrid animal.

$40 is what I have spent on purebred rabbits.

Latest posts

Back