How would steel (Es) and harli (ej) interact?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LPH_NY

Reaction score
Let's say I have a buck that is:

AA bb cchdcchd Dd Eej - he's a harlequinized chocolate chinchilla

and I pair him with a silver-tipped steel doe that is:

AA B_ cchd_ D_ Es_

Could some of the kits express BOTH harlequinized markings AND steel tipping? Would the E locus of those kits simply be Esej? Or is the E locus more complicated than that?

1557573_1653580174896128_243126799349960321_n.jpg

^ That is the harlequinized chocolate chin buckling.

In my experience silver tip steel and magpie/chin harlequin (A_ B_ cchd_ D_ Es ej) create false self blacks that may develop some ticking but not enough to notice harlequin markings

PS I am pretty sure the buck above is black based and more likely a black sable chinchilla (= A_ B_ cchl_ D_ Eej) than a chocolate chin

I am unsure how steel would react to a sable chin but I don't think you would get as dark of an effect :shrug:

False self blacks? How boring. Ok. Bummer.

I know he looks like a black chin in the photo - the lighting was not good at all. His siblings were black chins, though. He really is chocolate. None of his hairs are black. The harli marks on him are orangeish because they can't be black.

Here are his baby photos:
12088179_1629615987292547_4674753810930065772_n.jpg

11223897_1629616897292456_7645842269715100989_n.jpg
<br /><br /> __________ Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:22 am __________ <br /><br /> And in these pics, those siblings look an awful lot like chestnuts, but as they grew all the tan disappeared and they became gorgeous black chins with black splotches.

Harlequinized steels (Es ej) definitely exist. I had some in my mutt litters and have pics somewhere..

With the steel present however, you never get the whole harlequin patten, just the same kind of dark splotches that you would see on a harlequinized chestnut or chinchilla.

Esej can also produce false selfs too, just like steel pared with anything (or by itself) can.

:pullhair: I think my harlequinized steels were born last summer, when my camera was broken!!! There was another person who had a gorgeous broken harlequinized steel on BYMR facebook group last year too, but I have no idea how to find her pics now.

I think, you must have some of the most complicated mutts on the east coast.
:whistle:

A problem I ran into was that just copy of ej is able to muck up a coat so much, it becomes next to impossible to determine if a rabbit ALSO has steel.

I did find these pics.
I think these two were both harlequinized chestnuts. Unfortunately, I do not have many photos from the period to reference. At least one kit has a couple white spots showing to reveal it's true identity.

Attachments

• 100_8623.JPG
    100_8623.JPG
    399.6 KB · Views: 331
  • 100_8636.JPG
    100_8636.JPG
    301.1 KB · Views: 331
Zass, those faces are so adorable. It's too bad you don't have pics of them as adults. Baby coats look so different from adult coats.

I really didn't think I would like the harlequinized chins, but they grew out nicely. The markings on their bodies were not very noticeable, but they all had some marks on the face and feet that I loved.

Latest posts

Back