How to tell the age of a rabbit?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Damani

Reaction score
Hybrid doe 10 wks 5.20.14.JPGI just purchased a couple of does from someone who claims they are 8-10 weeks old. He is reselling them, and said they came from a 'meat pen'. He also claims they are Flemish Giant/New Zealand or Flemish Giant/Californian mix.
They have female genitalia which is very white--not even pink. They don't have dewlaps, but they are about the size of my 4 month old Satin males.
Are there other clues to their age/identity?
That shiny fur sure looks like a Satin is in there somewhere.

Attachments

• Hybrid doe looks like silver fox 10 wks 5.20.14.JPG
    Hybrid doe looks like silver fox 10 wks 5.20.14.JPG
    123 KB · Views: 652
Unfortunately, the only way to tell how old they are would be to see if they keep growing, and when they stop growing. Really, with his information, you have no idea what breed or cross they are, whether they are already adults, or anything. He says they're "8 - 10 weeks old", which means he has no idea how old they are, because he bought them without any definite information. :(

They could actually be a bit older and already be bred. Watch your calendar. When 5 weeks pass by, and you have no kits, you can relax. :)

Damani":3w3qiqg0 said:
They weigh about 4 lb 6 oz.

I have some 8 week old kits that are that size and larger right now. I would think that it's about the right size if they are the age and breeds he claimed.

I've never participated in a meat pen show, but I believe all shows require rabbits to be at least 8 weeks old. So, you have a minimum age. :)

I kinda like the shape of that top rabbit. The satins sound kinda small.
I was under the impression that Satins were also a meat type rabbit. If the new ones really are flemish crosses, they could be lankier than the satins, appearing larger in body.
If the satins are more compact they could possibly seem about the same size, but I would think the satins will weigh more and feel thicker.

Well, here is a 8 wk old satin of mine, only she is a quarter of the size

Attachments

• DSCN2151.JPG
    DSCN2151.JPG
    119.8 KB · Views: 599

Latest posts

Back