How to tell between young NZW and FW/choosing breeding stock

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trinity

Reaction score
So I just bought eight supposedly 7 week old NZW kits for my first batch of grow outs 2 days ago and intend to keep 2 of the does to breed later on. I got them all for 50 dollars so I figured it was worth it. I imagine this is one litter all related. i forgot to ask. I just assumed. Im wondering now however if they are actually FWs or a cross because they just seem small to me for being 7 weeks old. I was reading most people butcher about 10 to 12 weeks? Thats not alot of time to grow more.

(This is my first venture into meat rabbits so I have no idea on alot of things yet. Been reading and learning. I also have a buck and doe Flemish Giant I was given that I just bred but probably going to cross them out for meat also down the road. )

So given that its my first go round, I dont have a scale yet. I bought a fish scale online to start with yesterday but its not here yet to know exact weights. They just seem small to me for 7 weeks. I supposed it is possible they are actually younger also but I have no idea how to find out. Breeder said 6 weeks old a week ago. Any insights?

Also, How do I choose which does to keep? The biggest most meaty I guess? I was lucky and got 5 does and 3 bucks and I am reasonably certain on the sexes thanks to lots of practice with other peoples photos on a facebook group im a part of lol. Should I keep a buck too for now and get some crosses out of my FG? Give me some feedback and opinions of you have them. Thanks!
12076128_10207887034479615_1231550062_o.jpg
<br /><br /> __________ Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:43 pm __________ <br /><br /> I think that cage is 36 x 36 if it helps. Just one from TSC we are using while we build more hutches.

Without weights and being there to handle them, it's going to be tough to guide you. If I were in your shoes, I would give them all a few more weeks, then take a closer look. Weigh them, look at body types, get a feel for their personalities, and go for it. If you aren't happy with your stock, look me up come spring for purebred New Zealands (just not whites).

Yes-- they grow FAST.
I would weigh them now, record weights (I use sharpie to number inside ear) and track them.
I'm new, too, but finding a combo of weights and physical characteristics (checking for tracking-- turn over and back feet should be parallel to body; overall body tone and meaty feel-- some will feel better than others) is helping me choose brood does.

I am really happy with my Flemish cross does in every way!
If you don't know about this lot, I'd spend on a proven buck you like to pair with your FG and bring in some other genes for these does that you grow out.

My meat does are all mutts, moving to being all homebred.
But I have 3 purebred bucks of decent quality so I know what they bring.

Well I borrowed a scale last night and we have weights between 1.9 and 2.3 lbs on the little guys. So smallish id say but they will grown and aere eating well. We will see what they can do in the meantime. I was finally able to weight my Flemish also. Doe is over 8 lbs and buck is around 13 lbs but I think hes a bit on the skinny side. He didnt like the heat too well this summer. Sooooo, not full flemish probably which i actually had a hunch about. They are coming on a year old so fully grown. But that's actually in my favor I think since I just want meat rabbits.

That is about where my 6 wk old NWZ are weight wise. Hard to tell though, depends on how they were fed as well. Mine are on the all you can eat at every moment diet.

Those weights are a lot lower than my 7 week old Cali and FG/NZW mutts I weighted today (4-5 lbs) BUT much better than my 6 week old FG/Cali mutts who are a very sad 1.5 or so... litter of 12, first time mom.
So it will probably take a few more weeks to see how they grow to determine :)

Every bit of time makes a HUGE difference with NZW. I learned this the hard way my first time showing. I took 6 Month old NZWs in and accidentally registered them as Senior thinking that began at 6 months (yes for other breeds, but not so with this breed in particular) I was disqualified from my first show due to size and later found out that senior doesn't begin until 8 months for NZW! My rabbits were the proper weight for their actual age group... but still 5 lbs too small to be "seniors". That's 5 lbs AFTER reaching sexual maturity. That is a lot of weight for a rabbit to still gain after reaching "breeding age".

They're huge! But are about to get a heck of a lot more muscular in the next month or so.

Back