How old do they have.......

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

preciousgurl63

Reaction score
Ok I have a question since I'm new and it might sound stupid. I have a pair of MR that I want to breed. I want to sell their kits to 4her's for the fair and shows. My question is how old do they have to be before you can show them? I sell my kits at 8wks so can they be shown then or do they have to be older? I'm trying to figure this all out since I want to breed my doe this month. I know if I bred her now that her kits would be old enough for the fairs around me since they don't start till July and August. So I need some opinions on if I should breed her now or wait till spring.

According to the SOP for the breed jr bucks/does under 6 months must weigh a minimum of 2 pounds. There is no age minimum per se in order to show - just weight.

But unlike other breeds the rex have a lot of points for their coat and they are shown when their coat is in prime condition as well as weight and age (juniors under 6 months, seniors over)

However not all 4-H clubs are as strict about show quality and judge more on the child's abilities :shrug:

All of the shows I've been to have had a rule against bringing any rabbit under 8 weeks. Not that you were even considering it, but I thought I'd throw it out there for others.

Miss M":2wonu630 said:
Since it's the show people who will know the answer, I moved this to the Show Rabbits forum. :)

Thank you. I didn't know where to post it.

Zass":2wonu630 said:
All of the shows I've been to have had a rule against bringing any rabbit under 8 weeks. Not that you were even considering it, but I thought I'd throw it out there for others.

I don't even sell my rabbits till they are 8wks old so nobody would be able to show them under that age.

Check with each show, I've been to a few that required them to be at least 12 weeks to bring. If they meet breed weight requirements plus individual show requirements, all is good. Prime coats don't usually come in until 4-5 months of age though, and any area with any competition other than comments there's usually no reason to bring really young ones to show that just breeze by the requirements. I've taken youngsters at 12-14 weeks, just for comments, but they never have a comparable coat. I have seen a handful of jrs that were in their prime at that age, but my lines aren't bred that way.

Latest posts

Back