How often do you breed?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NO, as long as they are back at a good weight and are in a healthy condition,. ALot of people breed 2 to 3 weeks after giving birth, I like to wait 5 weeks after they kindle, cause in my eye, they are not machines, and I respect them whether they are for meat or not.

I also usually breed again at 5 weeks and wean at 6 weeks. I try to not let them go longer than 8 weeks to re-breeding. I have heard and agree with the idea that too much time between can make it harder to re-breed them, but that is just my opinion.

Since I now have more does I may need to sell, cull or slow up my breeding regiment. They are all such good breeders it is hard to decide.

For intense breeding schedules people re-breed between 1 and 21 days, and wean 1 week before kindling. I think that is a bit rough and for my purposes I would rather have more does and breed less intense. It all really comes down to your purposes and goals, plus the condition of your does.<br /><br />__________ Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:53 pm __________<br /><br />Check out this forum for others schedules- if-you-could-or-do-breed-year-round-t14832.html?hilit=breeding%20schedule

I usually breed, condition allowing,
when the kits are four weeks old and wean at six weeks.
This allows the Dam two weeks with an empty nest/cage
before a new litter may arrive. This is not set in stone,
I allow myself to do whatever I feel best serves the herd.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

Back