How long do kits stay in the nest box?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lereg15

Reaction score
Hey all!! I know it varies from litter to litter, but I was curious as to how long the kits usually stay in the nest box? I have NZW's that are between 2 weeks and 1 1/2 week old. When I went out to check on them last night, somehow 2 of the 1 1/2 week olds were out of the box. I didn't know really what to do, but I put them back in. The lip of the box is about 3 1/2 in tall, so I wouldn't think they got out by themselves. Would there be any reason to why they were out?

That seems like a normal age to start getting out to me--at least in summer. In the colder weather they stayed in longer. Just make sure they can get back in when they want to. And are their eyes open? If so and you have a step to help them get back in, not to worry. Just enjoy watching them explore and nibble and grow :)

Ok thanks!! Their eyes just opened a couple of days ago. Being this is my first time with raising buns, I guess I get a little paranoid sometimes. Maybe I'll put a brick in there so they can get back in.

It seemed a little weird the the younger kits came out before the older ones. I guess they all have different timings though.

Depends on a whole lot of factors.

1. breeder... do they tip the box or leave up right? For instance, I tip the box at 9-12 days old. I want the kits out and exploring and into clean air.

2. time of year... tend to stay in nest longer in winter and through changing seasons,

3. size of litter... bigger litters tend to kick the kits out sooner as there is no room in nestbox.

4. the doe... some does WILL NOT let their kits out of the box.

5. breed....some breeds are just more exploratory in nature and will get out to check out the scenery (my hollands do this ALL THE TIME... even before 10 days old).

6. Type of nestbox... some are just more conducive to kits getting out.

Somewhere around when their eyes open at 10 days and 14days they will usually start attempting to escape. Many turn the box on the side around 2 weeks old. Some just put in a brick to let them back in it if they want. Weather is a factor what you do. In warm weather they are perfectly fine out of the box at 2 weeks and probably don't even need the box in. Occasionally even in good weather you get a litter that is just content in their box for reasons unknown. If it gets to 3 weeks I start pulling them out to run around the cage and remove the box after a couple days of making them explore if the weather isn't real cold. The box will get dirty too fast as they get older and they need to adjust to solid food.

ladysown":3glnom8w said:
Depends on a whole lot of factors.

1. breeder... do they tip the box or leave up right? For instance, I tip the box at 9-12 days old. I want the kits out and exploring and into clean air.

2. time of year... tend to stay in nest longer in winter and through changing seasons,

3. size of litter... bigger litters tend to kick the kits out sooner as there is no room in nestbox.

4. the doe... some does WILL NOT let their kits out of the box.

5. breed....some breeds are just more exploratory in nature and will get out to check out the scenery (my hollands do this ALL THE TIME... even before 10 days old).

6. Type of nestbox... some are just more conducive to kits getting out.

1. This is my first litters, so I haven't had any experience in any of this yet. I guess I could tip the boxes over though.

2. Obviously it's summer now, but it's good to know about leaving them longer in the winter!!

They both are pretty small litters. One had 7 and the other one had 6, but 4 made it.

4. One of my does don't really seem to be affected by them too much, well neither of them really. One is just a little more protective of hers.

5. I have NZW's, but once again, it's my first time doing this, and I'm not quite sure how they act, but the does do seem to like to explore.

6. I went really cheap on the nest boxes, and took some cardboard, french fry boxes from work. One of the dams likes to chew on hers, but hasn't chewed through it yet, since she's had the litter. She had one on the wire outside the box and chewed through the bottom of the box before she kindled and had another one on the wire in the box. Obviously, I got another box for them.

Do you think I should tip the boxes over?

i firmly believe in tipping the box. I want the kits out exploring and eating and doing little bunny stuff as soon as possible.
I also have a busy life and messing around with dirty nestboxes is not my idea of a whole lot of fun.
i tip the boxes as soon as eyes are opened well OR as soon as kits start popping out. I do this regardless of the time of year.
I live the box in until the kits no longer use it to snuggle in. and on the edge of the box I put pellets, or hay, or oatmeal to encourage the kits to start eating.

A better start = faster growing kits, that if mom leaves or dies early... the kits will be fine and won't have hiccups along the way.

You may form different opinions about what you should do with your kits. :) everyone finds the path they follow in their rabbitry. :)

I'll unscrew the front panel off the nestbox so that the kits can come and go as they please by 12 -14 days. This way nobody gets stuck outside the box because they can't figure out how to or are too weak/little to get back in. All they have to do is climb the hay back in.

ladysown":273krg94 said:
i firmly believe in tipping the box. I want the kits out exploring and eating and doing little bunny stuff as soon as possible.
I also have a busy life and messing around with dirty nestboxes is not my idea of a whole lot of fun.
i tip the boxes as soon as eyes are opened well OR as soon as kits start popping out. I do this regardless of the time of year.
I live the box in until the kits no longer use it to snuggle in. and on the edge of the box I put pellets, or hay, or oatmeal to encourage the kits to start eating.

A better start = faster growing kits, that if mom leaves or dies early... the kits will be fine and won't have hiccups along the way.

You may form different opinions about what you should do with your kits. :) everyone finds the path they follow in their rabbitry. :)

I turned the nest box of the oldest little yesterday and they don't seem to even go in it now. They do seem happy to run around the cage though! I did add an extra feeder for them, and added some food and oatmeal, but I think mama is getting to it first. I have seen them eating hay and some of mama's ceretropes, so they are eating.

It makes sense to me to try and get them 'independent' as soon as possible too, and I'll be turning the other next box probably either tonight or tomorrow. The other litter seems to be much smaller and sleeping a lot more, so I think I'll wait until the start moving around more.

Latest posts

Back