How frequent is reproductive cancer in rabbits ?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From what I understand, it's not NEARLY as common as sites like 'House Rabbit' would like people to believe.
I believe that a doe who has had a litter is less likely to end up with it, but it's not an excuse for breeding rabbits with no good plan for the kits, of course. :p

I know many members, here, have reported having healthy, unbred does who live long, healthy lives. :)

That was what I had a feeling would be the case.
And you did nail one of the sites I've seen, not the only one, but they are all ones to push altering pet rabbits.

I *do* understand why, but I also hesitate to put a small animal under anesthesia without cause.
Both my dogs, and my cat are altered - there are enough feral / stray animals local that an unwanted pregnancy would be quite likely to happen should they ever get loose, AND they are larger than most rabbits, AND surgical alteration is extremely common - so unwanted side effects are then less common as the vet has more practice, AND none of them are ever being shown !

Uterine disorders are actually pretty common in non-reproductive females of all species

Numbers are hard to come by in rabbits because many *just die* at home or the few that go to a vet are rarely diagnosed or documented

The exception is nulliparous laboratory rabbits used for experiments rather than breeding and the incidence of endrometial hyperplasia and adenosarcomas were found to be very common in does over 5 years old

The Biology of the Laboratory Rabbit
Edited by Steven H. Weisbroth, Ronald E. Flatt, Alan L. Kraus

I can recall only one thread on here (not that I've read the all, mind you) with necropsy photos that other members suggested may have shown cancer.

Of course, not nearly all rabbits that die get necropsy photos posted.

Alteration can help with things like hormones and territorial behavior. Alteration does come with its anesthesia risks, though, like you mentioned.

I know, few on here have ever seen it, but...few enough have unbred does over 5 years old so...

Our statistics are probably a bit skewed.

In younger breeding animals, it doesn't seem to be common at all.. :shrug:

Dood":3biir4kg said:
Uterine disorders are actually pretty common in non-reproductive females of all species

Numbers are hard to come by in rabbits because many *just die* at home or the few that go to a vet are rarely diagnosed or documented

The exception is nulliparous laboratory rabbits used for experiments rather than breeding and the incidence of endrometial hyperplasia and adenosarcomas were found to be very common in does over 5 years old

This is true, and nulliparity is a risk factor in many (most? all?) species where uterine and mammary cancers are concerned.

HOWsMom":5my2xs41 said:
Dood":5my2xs41 said:

This is true, and nulliparity is a risk factor in many (most? all?) species where uterine and mammary cancers are concerned.

I was going to say that as well... in ANY mammal, they are much more likely to get a reproductive cancer if they never have young'ins. It's the 'use it or lose it' thing, but so true. So... I dunno? :shrug:

I don't know how common it is.

in 10 years of rabbit breeding
I know of one doe who got it - diagnosed at a vet.
I know of one doe for whom it was suspected, but not diagnosed.

I heard of one doe who had vaginal bleeding without any firm diagnosis of cause. Breeder suspected cancer but vet ruled that out, but was unable to determine cause before rabbit died. No autopsy performed.

I've never seen it in any of the rabbits butchered and the old does we kept never had it (died of just pure old age or had to be put down due to other issues). SO I can't really be of much help either; your going to find that views are "skewed" in a way....there is no impartial group that has taken statistics on such for x number of years published that I am aware of at all.

The only study I know is very old, but it put it around 80%

While I do agree it's likely not that high, im sure it is quite high considering rabbits reproductive rates. And most vets I know that spay rabbits have very high success rate.

If you're going to keep a house rabbit, the only reason not to do it is due to the risk. When spayed they're far less hormonal, can bond with other rabbits, better litter habits, and no risk of uterine cancer.

Latest posts

Back