How does buying at convention work?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jessie15273

Reaction score
I have never been there! I was planning on going, then something got in the way. Just this morning, one of my 4h leaders sent me a message saying she was going on the 20th (sunday) and that I can get rabbits if I would like.

How would I go about buying e a rabbit if I just go for one day?

jessie15273":236wssxh said:
I have never been there! I was planning on going, then something got in the way. Just this morning, one of my 4h leaders sent me a message saying she was going on the 20th (sunday) and that I can get rabbits if I would like.

How would I go about buying e a rabbit if I just go for one day?

Maybe someone else can clarify this, but if the rabbit is not being shown you will have to pick it up outside of the convention floor any time you want. But if the rabbit is being shown you will not be able to pick it up until their release on Wednesday. Con goers, is that about right?

USDA will be there so be sure to get a health certificate before crossing state lines with your new rabbit.

jessie15273":3gau4gfb said:
How does the health certificate work? I never thought of that!

That one is news to me. Bah, APHIS is down due to the shutdown so I cannot get to the link :D

Essentially, health certificates for interstate travel are not a requirement for rabbits, although some airlines may require them per their individual policies.

Although I don't know every state's statutes, but if PA had one of those that'd be a good reason to never take my rabbits to a PA show.

If you buy a rabbit from another breeder inside the convention facility, you will have to get a signed sale/release form from the seller prior to leaving with it the morning of ending the convention. All rabbits have to be verified by the respective breed chairmen to ensure they are leaving not only with what the exhibitor brought, but also that they have the required sale documentation for any rabbit(s) they have which weren't listed on the original sale form, as well as rabbits which they don't have from their entries listing. That is what the sale/release form is for.

Do NOT enter the facility with rabbits you don't have entered in the convention show. It creates a nightmarish scenario for you and the convention staff, and the security guards will not let you leave the facility without the seals that the breed chairmen put onto each carrier. As usual, you can thank convention rabbit thieves for this major headache of an inconvenience.

Never heard of this USDA inspection stuff. I know it wasn't required at Wichita last year.

Unless you're flying with rabbits, USDA and health certificates do not play a part. Crossing state lines with a rabbit is no different than crossing with a bag of Doritos.

SAYS that you need one, yes.

Do you NEED one...meh.

I've only bought rabbits that were not being shown. The breeder was keeping them in their motel room and brought them to the parking garage outside of the building for me to take them home.

P.S.

I drove across the country transporting a horse, 10 rabbits, 3 chickens, and a dog, from Wyoming to Michigan, in a trailer with no plates or title, and never once got stopped. I wouldn't worry about a couple of bunnies.

I agree except for ARBA has invited APHIS/USDA to be at the Convention.

tailwagging":3909vkk2 said:

As far as WI and MO, you don't need them even though that chart you mentioned said it is required. I can't speak to the others but we have been told by District directors interstate travel in those states does not require any documentation. For MO, it says all test eligible animals must have the CVI. Rabbits don't have any of those. As far as WI goes, what I have been told by superintendents is that Wisconsin Department of Agriculture reserves the right to take and destroy sick rabbits you may be bring to show. Which, I got no problem with at all although I've never seen that done in the WI shows I've been to. If MT's is right on the chart that you need an individual import permit that's probably one of the reasons why MT has no rabbit shows.

A lot of this requires that you dig a little deeper. On the Wisconsin Department of Agriculture site it has special exemptions for show animals within the state for less than 24 hours. This one I know because I wanted to make sure when we first started showing out of state despite being told we don't need it.

yes most show animals don't need them (staying under 30 days) BUT animals brought into some states to sell or to live may. And with ARBA chummy chummy with APHIS I would be SURE to cross every T and dot every I.

tailwagging":hw6ln671 said:

They may have been invited but due to govt shutdown I highly doubt USDA will be sending anyone.

I saw my leader tonight! She says "oh by the way, I am heading back Wednesday, I'll pick up bunnies for you then."

Pepperoni":3n2qua43 said:
tailwagging":3n2qua43 said:

They may have been invited but due to govt shutdown I highly doubt USDA will be sending anyone.
you maybe right
maybe BUT if they are looking to fine someone to make an example or if they are still "out" a vacation that may end up with them being able to collect...or ARs complaints of non enforcement...

already the cat show world has be targeted for paperwork checks at shows.

Back