How do you keep fire ants OUT of your colonies?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Miss M":24jy07ib said:
YES. So far, grits are the most effective thing I have found that is non-toxic and works for fire ants. They will only take it fresh.

Can't blame 'em. Who dosn't like fresh grits? I'd ignore old nasty grits, too.

GBov":24jy07ib said:
Be very very grateful rather than sad, after all, it gives you the perfect reason to go on an artistic holiday to the Deep South!
You saying we have a lot of fire ants in Georgia, or old aluminum junk laying around??? :laugh:

I'm surprised that aluminized fire ant hill only went down 18". Those things can be deep! That's why they're so hard to kill because the queen hunkers down deep out of site. (Well, that and the fact thatt they pour out of the hill, run up your body and bite the :rant: out of you, leaving huge, burning welts behind. You don't want to get close enough to make a mistake while trying to kill them!)

I've heard the expression "kiss my grits" but I don't really know what they are. I wonder if I'm the only one on this site who has to google "grits" to find out what they are and why would something that is a breakfast food would also kill ants? :pancake:

:lol:

Grits are a coarse ground corn product. The corn can be just dried corn, but often it is dried hominy. Hominy is corn that has been soaked in a lye solution until the hull is removed.

Grits are very dry, and would normally be cooked in water until done. Grits can be eaten with butter, salt, and pepper, or with milk and sugar, or whatever.

Why would grits kill ants?

The grits begin absorbing water from their environment, whatever that may be -- a pot of hot water, or the insides of an ant. The ants eat the grits, the grits absorb the water that is in the ants, and the ants are killed by expanding grits. :)

Miss M":260wfg0x said:

Grits are a coarse ground corn product. The corn can be just dried corn, but often it is dried hominy. Hominy is corn that has been soaked in a lye solution until the hull is removed.

Grits are very dry, and would normally be cooked in water until done. Grits can be eaten with butter, salt, and pepper, or with milk and sugar, or whatever.

Why would grits kill ants?

The grits begin absorbing water from their environment, whatever that may be -- a pot of hot water, or the insides of an ant. The ants eat the grits, the grits absorb the water that is in the ants, and the ants are killed by expanding grits. :)

when you make "grits" you add one scoop of grits and 4 scoops of water, and it makes a thick porridge, that goes great with almost any fattening, greasy food I can think of. My Fav. is grits and over easy eggs, with lots of butter and cheddar cheese.
I like to make my Grits from Truckers Favorite Yellow dent corn, and some from colored flint corn [that takes a lot longer to cook] [I really hate sharing my grits with ants.]

__________ Thu May 22, 2014 6:48 am __________

the reluctant farmer":260wfg0x said:
Miss M":260wfg0x said:
YES. So far, grits are the most effective thing I have found that is non-toxic and works for fire ants. They will only take it fresh.[/q (Well, that and the fact thatt they pour out of the hill, run up your body and bite the :rant: out of you, leaving huge, burning welts behind. You don't want to get close enough to make a mistake while trying to kill them!)
you forgot to mention the" pustules" and infection, that follow the "huge burning welts", -- the ant bites you to hold on while it injects a toxin into you with its stinger.

squidpop":14jndcez said:
I've heard the expression "kiss my grits" but I don't really know what they are. I wonder if I'm the only one on this site who has to google "grits" to find out what they are
.Visually, think along the lines of chubby cream-of-wheat and you'll be in the right ball park. If you don't know what cream of wheat is, I'm out of other visuals. They're always plural, too--one doesn't get a single grit. For instance if someone knocked a bag of them over on the table and you found a little pebble of one on your plate, you wouldn't say, "is that a grit?". No, you'd say, " hey y'all, who spilled the grits?!?" Taste-wise, they're one of those comfort foods that is good with eggs or bacon or sausage or by themeselves but done up with a pat of butter or maybe some cheese if you got some laying around...I think I hear Waffle House calling me right now...gotta go!

OK, so I am glad I don't have fire ants here in Alberta, that was just a joke, but I am not joking when I say I glad we don't eat the crazy things you guys seem to relish! Corn soaked in lye? Fattening greasy grits? Dry biscuits with gravy for breakfast? How are these foods even invented in the first place? However, I am fond of a nice bowl of cream of wheat with milk, brown sugar and raisins.

I LOVE biscuits and gravy!!! I have tried Grits but I can truthfully say that they where NOT cooked properly. The next time I make it to the south I will try them again, until then I will stick with Cream of Wheat.

michaels4gardens":1sc4pb3q said:
when you make "grits" you add one scoop of grits and 4 scoops of water, and it makes a thick porridge, that goes great with almost any fattening, greasy food I can think of. My Fav. is grits and over easy eggs, with lots of butter and cheddar cheese.
My favorite way to eat grits is with the gravy from making liver and onions. Oh man, I HAVE to do this with rabbit livers! :fainting:

I like to make my Grits from Truckers Favorite Yellow dent corn, and some from colored flint corn [that takes a lot longer to cook] [I really hate sharing my grits with ants.]
You grind your own grits? :p Hmmmm... I have a grain mill now, I can use that on corn, as long as it isn't popcorn.

By the way... you don't share your good grits with ants. You go buy some cheap grits. :)

the reluctant farmer":1sc4pb3q said:
YES. So far, grits are the most effective thing I have found that is non-toxic and works for fire ants. They will only take it fresh.[/q (Well, that and the fact thatt they pour out of the hill, run up your body and bite the :rant: out of you, leaving huge, burning welts behind. You don't want to get close enough to make a mistake while trying to kill them!)
you forgot to mention the" pustules" and infection, that follow the "huge burning welts", -- the ant bites you to hold on while it injects a toxin into you with its stinger.
Oh man, y'all are NOT kidding, either! :angry:

the reluctant farmer":1sc4pb3q said:
They're always plural, too--one doesn't get a single grit. For instance if someone knocked a bag of them over on the table and you found a little pebble of one on your plate, you wouldn't say, "is that a grit?". No, you'd say, " hey y'all, who spilled the grits?!?" Taste-wise, they're one of those comfort foods that is good with eggs or bacon or sausage or by themeselves but done up with a pat of butter or maybe some cheese if you got some laying around...I think I hear Waffle House calling me right now...gotta go!

Schipperkesue":1sc4pb3q said:
OK, so I am glad I don't have fire ants here in Alberta, that was just a joke, but I am not joking when I say I glad we don't eat the crazy things you guys seem to relish! Corn soaked in lye? Fattening greasy grits? Dry biscuits with gravy for breakfast? How are these foods even invented in the first place? However, I am fond of a nice bowl of cream of wheat with milk, brown sugar and raisins.
:rotfl: The biscuits aren't dry anymore when they have gravy on them. :mrgreen:

I have no defense for corn soaked in lye. All I can say is that the resulting grits are awesome! (and don't poison you or eat off your flesh)

Sagebrush":1sc4pb3q said:
I LOVE biscuits and gravy!!! I have tried Grits but I can truthfully say that they where NOT cooked properly. The next time I make it to the south I will try them again, until then I will stick with Cream of Wheat.
The grits served at one of the schools I went to were like this solid blob of white glue. Now, I know some kids ate white glue. I did not.

Zass":1pgdv4qx said:
Doesn't lye do something to render corn more digestible and safer to eat as a staple?
Lets not knock southern comfort food, that stuff is really delicious!

I am sure it is just as wonderful as poutine! I have a strong belief in, 'don't knock it until you try it'. I was poking a little fun and hope no one was offended!

Schipperkesue":3w11t2to said:
Zass":3w11t2to said:
Doesn't lye do something to render corn more digestible and safer to eat as a staple?

I am sure it is just as wonderful as poutine! I have a strong belief in, 'don't knock it until you try it'. I was poking a little fun and hope no one was offended!

Had to google pountine :)
It looks pretty on par...
but I bet it doesn't have the added benefit of killing fire ants :lol:

I lived in Ireland for 14 years and the thing I missed most about home (Deep South girl that I am ) was grits and proper shrimp. Mmmmmmm shrimp and grits are scrummmmmmy!

Do instant grits work better than old fashioned for fire ant killing? And has anyone tried the pour on nematode for ant killing?

Zass":1vp0q2fg said:
Schipperkesue":1vp0q2fg said:
Zass":1vp0q2fg said:

Had to google pountine :)
It looks pretty on par...
but I bet it doesn't have the added benefit of killing fire ants :lol:

Poutine gravy and melted cheese curds might have the same effect as molten aluminum.

Aaaand... to stay on topic... here the best anthill treatment is to make a little bait trap containing powdered sugar and borax. The ants collect the sugar borax mixture and feed it to the queen. The rest is history, as they say.

Schipperkesue":axk3h3li said:
Zass":axk3h3li said:

wikipedia, --

Nixtamalization, typically refers to a process for the preparation of maize (corn), or other grain, in which the grain is soaked and cooked in an alkaline solution, usually limewater, and hulled.

The term can also refer to the removal via an alkali process of the pericarp from other grains such as sorghum. Maize subjected to the nixtamalization process has several benefits over unprocessed grain for food preparation: it is more easily ground; its nutritional value is increased; flavor and aroma are improved; and mycotoxins are reduced. Lime and ash are highly alkaline: the alkalinity helps the dissolution of hemicellulose, the major glue-like component of the maize cell walls, and loosens the hulls from the kernels and softens the corn. Some of the corn oil is broken down into emulsifying agents (monoglycerides and diglycerides), while bonding of the corn proteins to each other is also facilitated. The divalent calcium in lime acts as a cross-linking agent for protein and polysaccharide acidic side chains.[1] As a result, while cornmeal made from untreated ground corn is unable by itself to form a dough on addition of water, the chemical changes in masa allow dough formation. These benefits make nixtamalization a crucial preliminary step for further processing of maize into food products, and the process is employed using both traditional and industrial methods, in the production of tortillas and tortilla chips (but not corn chips), tamales, hominy and many other items.

Mesoamerica

Dried, treated maize sold Oaxaca, Mexico
The ancient process of nixtamalization was first developed in Mesoamerica, where maize was originally cultivated. There is no precise date when the technology was developed, but the earliest evidence of nixtamalization is found in Guatemala's southern coast, with equipment dating from 1200–1500 BC.[2]

The ancient Aztec and Mayan civilizations developed nixtamalization using slaked lime (calcium hydroxide) and ash (potassium hydroxide) to create alkaline solutions. The Chibcha people to the north of the ancient Inca also used calcium hydroxide (also known as "cal"), while the tribes of North America used naturally occurring sodium carbonate or ash.

The nixtamalization process was very important in the early Mesoamerican diet, as unprocessed maize is deficient in free niacin. A population depending on untreated maize as a staple food risks malnourishment, and is more likely to develop deficiency diseases such as pellagra. Maize also is deficient in essential amino acids, which can result in kwashiorkor. Maize cooked with lime provided niacin in this diet. Beans, when consumed with the maize, provided the amino acids required to balance the diet for protein.

The spread of maize cultivation in the Americas was accompanied by the adoption of the nixtamalization process. Traditional and contemporary regional cuisines (including Maya Cuisine, Aztec cuisine, and Mexican cuisine) included, and still include, foods based on nixtamalized maize.

The process has not substantially declined in usage in the Mesoamerican region, though there has been a decline in North America. Many North American Native American tribes, such as the Huron, no longer use the process.[citation needed] In some Mesoamerican and North American regions, dishes are still made from nixtamalized maize prepared by traditional techniques. The Hopi obtain the necessary alkali from ashes of various native plants and trees.[3][4] Some contemporary Maya use the ashes of burnt mussel shells.

In the United States, European settlers did not always adopt the nixtamalization process, except in the case of hominy grits, though maize became a staple among the poor of the southern states. This led to endemic pellagra in poor populations throughout the southern US in the early 20th century.[5] Fortification of wheat flour, the other staple food, essentially has eliminated this deficiency

Schipperkesue":527mt4r3 said:
Zass":527mt4r3 said:

Oh, no, absolutely not! :D

Fattening greasy grits?
Wait wait wait wait wait... you're talking about fattening greasy grits, and you eat poutine? Isn't that the whole pot/kettle thing? :pokeeye:

GBov":527mt4r3 said:
Do instant grits work better than old fashioned for fire ant killing?
Quick grits are all I have ever used for killing fire ants. :) They're the ones that are supposed to cook in 5 minutes, I think?

Well... except for the time someone gave me a bag of stone-ground grits. I wanted badly to eat them, until I discovered they were old and had bugs. :x So the ants got them. I think they handle the quick grits better, as far as being able to carry them into their little ant tunnels goes.

here the best anthill treatment is to make a little bait trap containing powdered sugar and borax. The ants collect the sugar borax mixture and feed it to the queen. The rest is history, as they say.
I must have had smart ants in Florida. They'd pick around the borax. You had to powder the borax really fine.

michaels4gardens":527mt4r3 said:
wikipedia, --

Nixtamalization, typically refers to a process for the preparation of maize (corn), or other grain, in which the grain is soaked and cooked in an alkaline solution, usually limewater, and hulled.

That was truly fascinating! :p I had no idea that soaking the corn in lye or lime or potash actually freed up nutrients in the corn that otherwise would be unavailable.

michaels4gardens":2l8kwbrk said:
wikipedia, --

Miss M":2l8kwbrk said:
That was truly fascinating! :p I had no idea that soaking the corn in lye or lime or potash actually freed up nutrients in the corn that otherwise would be unavailable.

When I was young the "locals" used wood ash in the water they boiled the corn / grain in.

michaels4gardens":4a91362i said:
michaels4gardens":4a91362i said:
wikipedia, --

Miss M":4a91362i said:

When I was young the "locals" used wood ash in the water they boiled the corn / grain in.
Wow... still being done the old-fashioned way!

Schipperkesue":3mubcupr said:
Poutine gravy and melted cheese curds might have the same effect as molten aluminum
:laugh: it might have the added benefit of being an edible centerpiece!

Ah, for fireants being such an awful, painful nuisance, they did give us a few laughs, didn't they?

ne more thought on killing fire ants: if you poured a big ol' canning pot of boiling water on the hill, do you think that would do it? Or wouldn't it soak in far enough under ground to kill the queen?

the reluctant farmer":2u3wnadd said:
if you poured a big ol' canning pot of boiling water on the hill, do you think that would do it? Or wouldn't it soak in far enough under ground to kill the queen?

I tried this with the "oak ants" we have here that invade our house yearly. One year I was at my wits end, vacuuming trails of ants off of the beams and cabinetry of my kitchen multiple times daily, so I tracked down their nest in a hollowed out oak tree. The kids and I did bucket brigades of boiling water (for hours!) and poured it down the center of the tree.

It didn't kill the nest, but it did keep the ants out of the house for several days each time I did it. They were too busy gathering their dead to come into the house. :twisted:

Back