How do YOU handle deposits and sales?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SarahMelisse

Reaction score
I think I may have to change up how I sell rabbits because I have had some issues with people wanting to pay deposits to reserve rabbits early and/or get upset because someone else reserved their favorite first.

Here is how I do it currently:
• Randomly through out the year I make up an email list of people interested in a rabbit(s).
• 1 week old: email everyone on the waiting list with what color kits have been born
• 6 weeks old: send out an email with pictures! gender, color, birth info for each rabbit. accept 50% deposit on a specific rabbit(s) on a first come, first served basis.
• 8 weeks old: customer picks up rabbit(s) and pay the remaining 50% of the purchase amount.

Reported problems:
• customers wait too long to reserve their desired rabbit
• customer A has wanted the only self blue since summer, but customer B put a deposit down on it at 6 weeks old first.

I don't know guys. The reason I don't accept deposits until 6 weeks old is because I want to be certain of the genders and also so I will be sure that the kit will live. I haven't had problems as far as deaths after 1 week old, but it makes me a bit uncomfortable. Also, I require a 50% deposit because if I didn't, 99% of people would "reserve" a rabbit and never show up to take it home.

Thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions? What do you do?

I haven't addressed this with rabbits, but I do sell puppies.

We don't take deposits, but I do have waiting lists, and those on the list have first choice of the pups.

Since circumstances change for people, I am not comfortable taking non-refundable deposits. I think that if people are already committed monetarily, they might take the pup knowing that they are in an unstable position and may end up having to "rehome" the dog, rather than lose out on their deposit.

I have had a couple of pups that we haven't found homes for by eight weeks and I have lowered the price- which works out as a spectacular deal for the ultimate buyer because the puppy has had training before going to its new home.

But in the case of a rabbit, I would just eat it, so it would be no loss to me if it wasn't sold.

I always try to eliminate extra work and headaches when it comes to selling rabbits. When people want to be notified when I have a certain bunny, I encourage them to check my website and watch upcoming litters. Since I sell mainly on craigslist and don't put my site on there this works out ok for me. I won't hold a rabbit longer than 2-3 days without a $10 deposit. Although I tell people it is non refundable I would not keep someone's money if they didn't get the rabbit for any reason. I also won't take a deposit until I am pretty sure of the sex which is 4-6 weeks for me. If someone wants to hold a certain bunny from a litter earlier than that I would give them first dibs on a rabbit and they would need to make a decision and deposit at the 4-6 week mark.

Keep in mind I sell primarily pet rabbits at about $25-30 a pieces. If I were selling significantly higher than that I might alter how I do things. I generally start selling mine at 6 weeks (legal in VA) and they are all gone by 8 weeks. I used to wait until 8 weeks but If they didn't sell in 2-3 weeks I risked a surprise pregnancy and lack cage space to separate does and bucks. One of my REW does got pregnant at around 11 weeks which was a total shock for me.

I require 50% non-refundable deposit to hold a rabbit. If it sells without a deposit, it's not my problem and I make them aware of it prior to making an appointment.

I do cull pet quality does because people just kept asking me all the time for a pet quality doe to breed.. I love my breed, and I'm not breeding for just pets and seeing how many unwanted pets there are, I just don't bother with it. So when all is said and done, pet bucks are the only pets offered.

I dont do the list thing because people are just too wishy washy and I like to know what I'm going to keep for show first..

I start posting usually around 6-7 week obvious culls with faults that I absolutely hate ( long shoulders,super poor crown/ear carriage, long bodied).

I tell them to watch the website and when something becomes available just notify me. First come,first serve. If you are notifying them, it could make them feel they are entitled to first picks ( which if you are keeping a list,that's a problem you run into)

I don't sell nearly as many pets now with a bunch of new holland /netherland breediers offering babies right at birth but it's no big deal. I know that people that come to me are generally very serious about the pets they are getting. ( although I got an unusual amount of returns fthis year or allergies/moving, but I can't complain that they weren't loved/played with/lived in a clean environment- usually leave me with all their equipment and feed!)<br /><br />__________ Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:57 am __________<br /><br />But if someone wanted a blue since the summer, they should be getting it first if you are keeping a waiting list. If someone put a deposit down, it's too late now, but just take it as a lesson.

Having a list was just too much trouble IMPO!

I have a similar set up to yours.

I have a waiting list as well but I start accepting deposits at 4-5 weeks when I send out a mass email with colours, tentative genders and pics.

customers wait too long to reserve their desired rabbit
well that's their problem :shrug: not yours ! If they cannot get their ____ togeather then too bad, so sad. You snooze you loose. You're not Walmart offering rain checks if they miss the sale. I'd be telling people with this mentality to get their rabbits a pet store or better yet get a fish instead.

customer A has wanted the only self blue since summer, but customer B put a deposit down on it at 6 weeks old first.
The first person on my list gets first pick of the litter and has 72hrs (via bank transfer or cash in hand) to send a deposit before the next person on the list gets a chance and they get bumped to the bottom of the list. If they want to put down a deposit earlier then fine but I offer no guarantee on gender but will give a refund if the rabbit is injured or dies.

See, I don't START my waiting list until 3-4 weeks old. At that point, I know colour, have a pretty good idea of gender, and have a reasonable idea if I am going to keep any of them. I start my advertising to other breeders, and give them first chance. Then I move to pet people on facebook, and don't start advertising on kijiji until about a week before they are ready to go. I will reserve without a deposit a rabbit for 24hrs(or until ready to leave), to allow someone the chance to pick it up, if they really want it but don't want to send a deposit. With a deposit, you have a week to come get it. If it's still here after that week, it goes back up for sale. Deposits are non-refundable, and I have made exceptions on holding them for longer.

I've been burned too many times by no-shows to not take deposits anymore.

Anyone who is interested in waiting for a kit or a litter, I take their name, and they get an email about 72hrs before I start advertising them. If you don't get back to me within 3 days, well, your fault, not mine.

I will not take deposits before 5wks of age... Because by then, they are tattooed, weaned, and already have about a week on their own to show signs of weaning enteritis, if they're going to.

first come, first served. that's it.

50% Deposit down no earlier than four weeks, don't leave here until 6 weeks.
No gender guarantees though I'll give it my best educated guess. I tell people mistakes happen. (and can give instances as to the why/how) in my own herd.

I tell people to watch my site.
I do not maintain a wait list.
I don't do mass emails because EVERYTHING is on my site.
I'll email special request pictures as some people can't figure out or negotiate my site (though I don't quite understand why). Some people don't have good cable for seeing pics (that I totally understand).

It is illegal in alot of states to sell a rabbit before 8 weeks, some states 10 weeks.
I kind of keep a wait list, but nothing set in stone.
No early deposits. I dont often advertise angoras until 10 weeks. At 10-12 weeks body types shift, so pointless before then. Once the litter is actually ready to go, only then do I take deposits, and at that point we come to an agreement for pick up/delivery date and transport arrangements.

I don't have the time or cage space to hold a rabbit forever. We make arrangements, deposit is sent, we get it done.
I require payment in full before the rabbit ever leaves. Most people simply pay in full rather than put down a deposit. Occasionally I will allow payments if the person asks and specific arrangements are made. I don't pre-sell before they are ready. Anything can happen as they are such fragile creatures.

Peach":1nk4h7nc said:
But if someone wanted a blue since the summer, they should be getting it first if you are keeping a waiting list. If someone put a deposit down, it's too late now, but just take it as a lesson.

Having a list was just too much trouble IMPO!

The person in question who wanted this all elusive blue, sent one email in the summer about it and I never heard from her again for about 6 months until the blue was 8weeks old, sold and gone. I certainly tried contacting her to let her know it was available. So I don't feel guilty about that one, but I rather not have that issue come up again.

Thanks for your insight Peach!<br /><br />__________ Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:44 pm __________<br /><br />Thank you ALL for your ideas and experiences. I am going to change what I do. I kept a waiting list just so people could sign up to be emailed when new kits were born and such. More like a newsletter than a "waiting list" I suppose.

I'm just going to do away with all that now and make it a simple: for sale at 8-weeks old, first come first served, and only with a deposit. Pick up with in a week unless other arrangements are made. The end.

Hopefully that will make my brain hurt a little less. ;)

I don't do deposits anymore. I do first come, first serve, meet me at a show or somewhere near me with cash only. I keep it really simple...and that's the way I like it. Of course, I sell very few bunnies per year. I do try to stay in touch with buyers, if possible though.

Back