How do I split up a litter? EDIT: One down :(

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skip

Reaction score
One of my satin does just kindled 12 kits, eight of which are pretty good sized, two of which are a little smaller than the eight, and two of which are very small. All look fed at move well at 24 hours old. I had bred her sister at the same time so I could foster in case of a mega litter, but the other doe didn't take (which is her second strike, anyone looking for a red satin? :? )

This will be the last breeding before the real summer heat kicks in, so I would really like to help all 12 along rather than let the two tiny ones waste away. I think that splitting the litter into two boxes, one with the eight larger kits and one with the four smaller kits, is my best option, but I've never split up a litter before. I feel like this is kind of a dumb question, but how do I make sure both boxes get nursed? I'm not sure when this doe nurses, or if she nurses once or twice a day. What's a good time to switch boxes to ensure both boxes are getting fed? Should I keep both boxes inside and alternate taking them out for brief periods at morning and night? Should I leave a box in at all times, and switch them every twelve hours? Every 24 hours?

I feel like I've read enough about splitting up litters to be comfortable with the concept, but somehow I never caught on to the exact method. I'd like to get them started right away, with so much competition I don't think the two tiny guys are going to make it very long if I don't intervene.

And oh yeah, I didn't forget to take a picture :)

EDIT: Just went out and checked on the litter and found one of the smaller kits had a hole in its belly. I removed and dispatched that kit, and tried letting the now lone runt nurse by itself with little success. With the situation as it stands I'd just assume let nature run its course with this last runt and keep the litter together. I'd still appreciate your thoughts on splitting up litters for future reference, but I don't think I'll be putting them to use right now.

Attachments

• photo (21).JPG
    photo (21).JPG
    173.7 KB · Views: 247
What members have done generally is split the litter as evenly as possible between two boxes, keeping both boxes inside. They take one box out for the morning feeding, and the other out for the evening feeding. Most domestic rabbit does feed twice a day, though you do have the occasional doe that nurses only once. I have one of them, currently... thankfully, she has only 7 kits.

Thanks Miss M, that makes a lot of sense. I was worried that there's some magic hour of the day, and if there aren't kits there at that time they won't be nursed at all. Now that I think about it I realize that's silly, the doe's gotta be desperate to get rid of all that milk if she has to wait all day or all night to let off a little pressure.

Back