How do I deal with nipping?????

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alch0my

Reaction score
How do I stop a holland lop nipping me? She likes to dig at my shirt then nip ..it hurts! She isn't fixed because she's most likely pregnant. My daughter let my buck out with her when I was outside and when I came in they were going at it lol. My daughter told me they did that many times! I do know does get mean especially when preggo. I just want to know how to go about correcting bad behavior.

If this behaviour is new and due to the fact she is pregnant, or going through a false pregnancy, you should not try and 'correct' her behaviour as it is completely natural and sounds like she is trying to make a nest and is very frustrated that she is stuck in a cage and cannot dig a 3 foot burrow.

I suggest you let her outside to do some digging or provide a tupper ware tub full of dirt for her to play in, then try and handle her and see if her attitude improves. You can also try and give her some straw or hay to carry around and let her pretend to make her nest in her cage.

I agree... I would work on that behavior only if it continues when her kits are weaned. In the meantime, a nice pile of hay should help her deal with the hormones.

If she's within a week of her due date, you might want to go ahead and give her a nest box. Most on here give it about day 28, but members have had a couple of really early litters lately. :)

I'm really worried about her. She's only 15 weeks! My daughter got her and my buck out when I was outside. When I got in they were finishing up. My daughter told me they did that many many times. My husband was supposed to be watching her but fell asleep on the couch. I was so mad. I just hope she'll be alright.

I am not familiar with the dwarf breeds and when they become receptive- 15 weeks seems a bit young, but since she is such a small breed, it very well might be possible.

Did the buck actually "fall off"? If he was just "going through the motions", he would dismount gracefully- but if he actually "hit the mark" he would fall over sideways or backwards.

If she is pregnant, don't despair. Many of us have found that breeding does at the first signs of receptivity actually result in better outcomes; excellent nest building, kits all in the nest, fur pulled, good milk production, and increased litter sizes. :)

What date was she bred? You may be able to palpate her if she is not too far along.

Yes, he squealed and fell off. I asked my daughter if they did that same motion while I was still outside and she said yes alot of times! It was about a little over a week ago. She digs alot and like to come up and nip me. How can you tell if a doe is receptive?

Treat her as if she is pregnant, just in case. But it seems way early for nest building, I would think its a false pregnancy. But if she is not pregnant, she is very likely hormonal. Think teenage girl.....no 12 year old girl. Getting older but still too young to act on it, or even really know what's going on.
So if you don't intend on breeding her, I suggest spaying. Some does who don't get bred can get quite.....moody.

If she's not pregnant the she might grow out of the digging and nipping thing as she gets older. Mine did it when they where younger and I started giving them a hand towel or wash cloth so they would dig and bite that instead of my clothes- I think the feeling biting fabric feels good to there teeth- now that they are older they aren't as diggy and chewy.

4 months is NOT too young for a Holland Lop to breed. They mature quite quickly.
AND, if the buck squealed and fell off, he likely did his job.

Expect her to be pregnant, and take the proper steps. Get her a nestbox and some hay (grass, orchard, timothy - NOT alfalfa), and put it in her cage on day 28. It has been my experience that young, maiden does are usually a day or two late. She should normally deliver on day 31.

Expect her personality and attitude to change, at least until the babies are weaned. What you are seeing now is likely nesting behavior. She may become more aggressive and the nips turn into full bites. I would allow the daughter to handle her ONLY with strict parental supervision until the babies are weaned. (4-5 weeks old - take them away from her at 6 weeks old). Fingers / small hands stuck into a territorial Mama's cage will likely get bitten.

She will need a cage, by herself, in a quiet place. No dogs, No cats, No other animals coming up to sniff. Keep the buck away. He will re-breed her immediately following the birth. Her cage, food and water bowls will need to be large enough to accommodate her and up to 6 kits (more likely 2 or 3). Holland lops often have stuck kits because of their huge heads. Plan now in case a vet visit becomes necessary. Locate a rabbit knowledgeable vet, put the info in a readily available place, and save back some cash.

You might also start looking for homes for the kits. 6 weeks isn't that long, and it has been my experience that finding pet homes in the dead of winter is tough. Letting them go as "Christmas gifts" is a bad idea.

Also, the hardest part of rabbit raising. Steel yourself for if things go wrong. Maiden mamas are often not the best. There is a good possibility she will over clean the babies, resulting in missing legs, ears, or tails. Depending on how bad the deformity is, you may need to put down these babies. Also, if things go horribly wrong, you may end up losing the doe. This is always hard to explain to a child. Prepare now.

Hopefully, everything will happen smoothly and you will have beautiful babies within a few weeks, but, living in Oklahoma where things change in an instant, I always find it better to be prepared....just in case.

As far as the nipping, it's probably hormonal and should stop when the babies are born. If she starts to dig at you, simply remove her, or distract her with a treat or toy. Good luck, and remember, we always want to see pics, especially of new babies!

This thread was started in May 2013; it's now October. If the lop had babies, they're now approx. five months old and able to have babies of their own.

Too bad the OP never let us know what happened!

Latest posts

Back