Housing situation for breeding rabbits

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maybur

Reaction score
Hi guys, I’m new to rabbit breeding and I have questions! I appreciate any advice :))

I have two females and one male. The females are sisters so they are currently sharing a large cage. The male has his own cage next to the female hutch.

If I was to breed one of the females with the male, I’m assuming I’d need to separate the two females that way the pregnant female can have space to raise her babies. Is this so? And how will the other female (the one who’s not pregnant) react to being alone?

I thought about putting a wire divider or something in the female hutch that way the sisters can still see each other but the pregnant female can have her own space. The only problem with that is they are Rex rabbits, and I’m not sure how much space they need. If I were to put a divider both of the females would end up with about 2’ by 2’ feet of space each.

Please help me!! Thank you!

You'll need a second doe hutch, when one comes back smelling of strange rabbit/buck they are likely to fight/chase eachother. 4' by 2' is about a size i'm happy with for my rex (4 pound adult) breeding does.
And depending on your breeding schedule you'll need at least a growout pen for the young bucks so they don´t knock up their mom (or sisters if you grow them out beyond 14 weeks/4 months together). Up to 10 or 12 weeks things will work out (just keep checking boy bits for growing into adult bits). Put them into the freezer earlier and the daughters can stay with mom provided she is not pregnant. Not all does will take with kits still living in and again after a date they may not be friendly to eachother anymore.

If you want to keep the fur, about 4 months or older and in full coat is best and does are easier to get out of their hides, bucks have more connective tissues to the meat, making more to clean and more risk of damage taking them of.

You will definitely want to have a separate cage for the other doe and 1 or 2 grow out cages. Does actually like to have all their space to themselves. The bigger the cage the better. I have New Zealands and Satins. I keep them in 30x30 cages. I don't know anything about rex so I can't help with the cage size.

You'll need a second doe hutch, when one comes back smelling of strange rabbit/buck they are likely to fight/chase eachother. 4' by 2' is about a size i'm happy with for my rex (4 pound adult) breeding does.
And depending on your breeding schedule you'll need at least a growout pen for the young bucks so they don´t knock up their mom (or sisters if you grow them out beyond 14 weeks/4 months together). Up to 10 or 12 weeks things will work out (just keep checking boy bits for growing into adult bits). Put them into the freezer earlier and the daughters can stay with mom provided she is not pregnant. Not all does will take with kits still living in and again after a date they may not be friendly to eachother anymore.

If you want to keep the fur, about 4 months or older and in full coat is best and does are easier to get out of their hides, bucks have more connective tissues to the meat, making more to clean and more risk of damage taking them of.
Thank you! This was a huge help :)
You will definitely want to have a separate cage for the other doe and 1 or 2 grow out cages. Does actually like to have all their space to themselves. The bigger the cage the better. I have New Zealands and Satins. I keep them in 30x30 cages. I don't know anything about rex so I can't help with the cage size.
great, thank you!

Hi guys, I’m new to rabbit breeding and I have questions! I appreciate any advice :))

I have two females and one male. The females are sisters so they are currently sharing a large cage. The male has his own cage next to the female hutch.

If I was to breed one of the females with the male, I’m assuming I’d need to separate the two females that way the pregnant female can have space to raise her babies. Is this so? And how will the other female (the one who’s not pregnant) react to being alone?

I thought about putting a wire divider or something in the female hutch that way the sisters can still see each other but the pregnant female can have her own space. The only problem with that is they are Rex rabbits, and I’m not sure how much space they need. If I were to put a divider both of the females would end up with about 2’ by 2’ feet of space each.

Please help me!! Thank you!
You'll want the does separated if they're going to have litters. I've made the mistake of keeping them together early on when I started with rabbits and when one of the had an unexpected litter and the roommate mauled a couple of the babies.

Latest posts

Back