Holland Lops

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PMcNemar

Reaction score
I have questions about the Holland Lop. I know they're very small and supposed to be quite friendly and playful when handled properly. I was at our local pet store today and saw a rabbit that they advertised as a holland lop, but one ear was lopped and the other erect. They had another, a lionhead, that had the same thing with its ears. Also, the "holland lop" they had was almost as big as the nearly full-grown mini-rex they also had.

I know the guy selling these rabbits. I spoke with him. As far as he knows, it is a holland lop, because the breeder that sold it to him said that it was, but was he lied to or was it simply a genetic defect? He did say that the breeder breeds for show quality and sells the rest of the healthy, but un-show-worthy, as pets. It seems too large to me to be a holland lop to me, but I'm not very experienced so I thought I'd ask the experts.

Also, can the holland lop come in tri-color and still be pedigree and recognized for the show ring?

Holland Lops don't always have perfectly lopped ears, and those that don't are "pet quality" meaning not showable, therefore cheaper and likelier to end up in a pet store. If you want a pet and aren't going to breed or show, and you like the rabbit, it is fine of course. A lot of people think "airplane ears" are cute, but it is a "defect", though not one detrimental to the rabbit's health. Pet quality would also be HL lacking the dwarf gene, so in other words, bigger than the breed standard. Again, they make cute pets, but not show bunnies.

Thanks. I'm not very knowledgeable about genetics or rabbits in general yet. I'm a total newbie and still learning. I'll admit it was cute, looked solid black, had the "airplane ears", which I didn't know that's what they were called. The mini-rex in with it was also very cute and was much less skittish than the lop it was housed with. Probably due to relations with the breeder before going to the pet store. Some breeders socialize their bunnies and some don't.

I also liked the grey lionhead with the airplane ears. Ah, too much cuteness, not enough money to get a bunny of my own at this very moment. D:

lops can sometimes take a while to lop as well. most of the time the thing to watch is how long the ears are. Too short and they will never lop.

I've had kits with nicely lopped ears at 6-8 weeks that by the time they hit maturity had this airplane look going on. and others that have airplane ears at 6-8 weeks by the time they hit 6 months are fully lopped with really nice ears. So it's a "go figure".

What Ladysown said... sometimes lops (excluding the ELop) can take a bit for their ears to drop. Must admit, I love the "helicopter/airplane ears" look- its so adorable! A dear friend of mine has Hollands and for a while there she had a bun who had one ear up & one ear down- cutest thing ever! Didnt last that way though and within a week or two both ears were down.

Awesome, you learn something new every day. Glad to know he wasn't getting fooled into thinking he had hollands when he had something else. :)

Also, I held the "mini-rex", it is definitely a rex, I can tell by it's velvety plush coat, but it must have weighed six or seven pounds, so maybe it was a standard rex instead of a mini? I doubt he would have known the difference, he's not much of a rabbit person, his strong point is fish.

My brood does are all over size.The tiny show does produce nothing but dead babies for me.One of my brood does has an ear that always sticks up.her ears are short.Holland lops are expensive i get does with small defects for a lot less money.

If I was going to get a show quality Holland Lop I'd get a buck. I'm not sure whether the black "airplane" ear lop they had was a doe or a buck. It was only $15. Since I'm only getting the Holland as a pet, I guess it doesn't have to be show quality, but I was kinda wanting to get into showing for a hobby with my pet. I could always add a show quality animal later if I decide that's a route I really want to take.

Another thing you might want to keep an eye on is sometimes pet stores just toss a few rabbits in a cage either not caring of gender or sometimes just by mistake.So you may go home with one bun and then a few weeks later have 4.Thee is a place near me that kinda just sticks rabbits together ends up with litters and then sells them as specific breeds..grrrrrrrr

He had different breeds thrown together in the same cages, I have no idea if he knew whether he'd put males and females together or not, I didn't check the genders while we spoke and I don't know if he would even know how to sex a rabbit or not.

There isn't a great deal of difference size-wise between Mini-Rex and Holland Lops of the same age groups.

I have doe that has one ear that is not as lopped as the other. Her mother is a grand champion and so are many buns on the father side. She is pretty other than her ear issue.

Back