Himalayan pink salt licks: Saltminearium review

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zass

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
I found this company that has small sized Himalayan pink salt licks for:

$0.95 ea plus 9.5% WA Tax
http://www.saltminearium.com/

There are a few different sizes. All the prices seemed pretty low to me.

That also have an etsy presence, but, it's best to contact them directly, as the shipping rates listed on etsy are much too high. (salt is heavy)
The owner was more than willing to work with me directly about shipping to help get the best rates.

I found their customer service to be very good. The salt blocks are assembled in Pakistan, which kind of makes sense because that is where it's mined. They are quite irregular but seem solid.
The cords will need replaced with wire if I want to attach these to my cages.

I had a problem with my compressed salts falling apart in the high humidity.
I was also worried about the salts corroding the wire, and felt a more solid salt block might work out better for me.

I haven't been able to find out much conclusive about the mineral content. The study posted on Wikipedia states that the mineral content is higher than other salt, but it's still mostly just sodium chloride.

I do not know if these could replace the compressed mineral block chunks we usually use for natural feeding.

Akane, if you know of a good study, could you link me?

Chubby kit is for size reference. :lol:

Attachments

• GEDC0912.JPG
    GEDC0912.JPG
    177.4 KB · Views: 1,559
keep up with this review!! I may try some for my rabbits if they work out well!

Thanks a bunch Zass!!

I found this break down of minerals in the salt, don't know the actual validity of the chart but it sure shows it to be packed with everything! Now my question about the natural sources like this, how much salt is ok in a rabbits diet? In the mineral blocks that are commercially pressed I would imagine there is more control over ingredients but Himalayan salt is first a salt with the added benefits of trace minerals so is it a viable option?

https://www.atthemeadow.com/resources-a ... lysis.html

I'm not sure if there are any health benefit studies but it is extensively used in places like India and you can find mention of usage and potential benefit.

Trace mineral blocks are still well over 90% salt so I feel it takes too much salt intake to get enough mineral intake. They also do have that downside of dissolving in to nothing with humidity. The himalayan salt does not dissolve. It can fall in puddles of guinea pig urine over night, be rinsed off, and not really lose anything. They don't get such massive quantities of salt by licking it. The pink blocks taste rather metallic instead of just salty. I have some black himalayan salt that I have found some say there are benefits but the more I look up the more I question it's usage as an animal mineral block. I haven't tasted those. They have stopped selling them for horses so my 2 black blocks are currently not in use.

I use the cord they come with to hang from cage ceilings. White cotton rope lasts fine. The brown natural rope is not as good for an odd reason. The does like to use it as nesting material :lol:

Latest posts

Back