high capacity or semi-automatic feeder ideas?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JessiL

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
Hi folks!

We've been trying to figure out how to have the rabbitry run a little more smoothly with less attention from us at times. Although I usually like to hang out with the bunnies a couple of times a day, it would sure be nice to be able to wander off for more than 24 hours without actually having to do something with the rabbits. No, I'm not suggesting that I want to make a habit of ignoring my rabbits for days at a time, but like we do with our poultry, it would be nice to only have to check regularly but top up feed and water every few days to a week. With the occasional weekend getaway during which the neighbor can poke her head into the barn and take a look to make sure nothing weird is going on...

We know how the water could work better (implementing the changes is another story... best shared with a few beers for everyone), but how the heck can we get the feed to last for more than 24 hours? When my does have older litters, or I have more than 2 in a grow-out pen, even filling the J-feeders to the brim AND filling up the hay racks will only last them to the next day.

I don't think we want to try to assemble anything like the European flex auger systems to deliver feed, but does anyone have any ideas of how to make better, larger in capacity feeders? The only thing I can come up with is maybe a wide diameter and tall PVC tube that supplies feed to 2 cages at once (the feed receptacle just splits two cage walls; something along the general lines of this thing, which we've already made for oyster shell for our poultry - http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2011/0 ... tions.html).

Any bright ideas? I'm looking for something to incorporate into your standard all-wire, 36" x 24" hanging cage rabbitry.

Thanks, Jessi

How big are your j feeders? We have one that is supposed to be for piglets, filled halfway lasts 3-4 days

Not sure the average j feeder size, but after seeing my friends tiny ones, I'm so happy to have my giant piglet one, lol.<br /><br />__________ Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:00 pm __________<br /><br />

My friends j feeder is the smallest one... Mine is 3rd from the smallest. A bit taller though that wide. We bought it as a chicken feeder and it was labeled for piglets..

I put an extension on my J-feeder made from cardboard or metal. Just rig up a open ended box the same shape as your J feeder opening (or taper it to fit into your J feeder opening) and duct tape it to the j-feeder...secure to cage with zip ties or bungees. I could feed up to a week depending on how big of a "hopper" I made.

Hmm... I wonder if a soda bottle or better yet a wide mouthed plastic bottle would work? Just upend it into the feeder and let gravity do the work. If the bottom is cut off you could just fill it without having to remove it.

Take 3-4' length of 4 or 6" PVC pipe. Gently warm one end of the pipe with a heat gun. When the pipe end goes soft flatten it to fit in your J feeder. You will need to hold it in the flatten position till it cools. Insert into J feeder, fasten to cage, fill pipe with feed then cap.

Almost free redneck version:

IMG_7497.JPG

Cut the top and bottom off of a 2 liter soda bottle. Split the remaining cylinder vertically- staple base to fit snugly in J-feeder, and then staple top. Overall cost: two staples or duct tape if you prefer.

This adds 4+ cups to the capacity of my feeders.

Thanks for the hopper addition ideas. Much easier than fashioning an entirely new feeder, especially since we have random bits of wide diameter PVC pipes laying around the place. I especially like the idea of using heat to reshape the plastic.

Now if we could just figure out how to stop subsidizing an entire civilization of mice, we'd be set!

- Jessi

JessiL":1lf3ns3w said:
Now if we could just figure out how to stop subsidizing an entire civilization of mice, we'd be set!

Cap the PVC to keep them out of the hoppers. That wont help with the mouth of the J-feeder, but at least they wont contaminate the reservoir.

another idea would be to take a large plastic juice bottle, the square ones and cut both ends off and fasten to j feeders. they are already about the same size as the feeders and heavier duty than a pop bottle. if you do it right and cut the top which is actually the bottle of the bottle on three sides you can use the flap as a cover. good luck with your project

I like your hopper extension idea, MSD! :) I'm trying to figure out an automatic feeder and waterer that will work for one week. It's our 20th anniversary coming up and I want to take my better half to a resort this year. I'll test the extension on the lactating does, but still need to figure out the others.

I'm thinking of going with some sort of rotating gravity feeder for the feed and some sort of high capacity crock filler upper for the water. Maybe something based on a timer and those auto sprinkler valve thingies.

sam":gj7i29gc said:
another idea would be to take a large plastic juice bottle, the square ones and cut both ends off and fasten to j feeders. they are already about the same size as the feeders and heavier duty than a pop bottle. if you do it right and cut the top which is actually the bottle of the bottle on three sides you can use the flap as a cover. good luck with your project

That's a great idea, too. We buy frozen concentrate for our juice though. I like the cover flap idea. :)

TMTex":gj7i29gc said:
I like your hopper extension idea, MSD! :)

Last night as I was feeding the bunnies, I was just suffused with happiness with those extensions, lol! Silly, I know, but they really do work great.

You could actually make them even taller by using two bottles. I haven't done so because I'm afraid our barn cats might knock them off when they scale the cages.

TMTex":gj7i29gc said:
some sort of high capacity crock filler upper for the water. Maybe something based on a timer and those auto sprinkler valve thingies.

The sprinklers are a great idea!

Have you seen my gravity fed crocks?

IMG_7963.JPG

Just hang the bottle so the mouth is at a level where the bowl can't overflow, and it will automatically fill when the rabbit drinks from the bowl.

That is a neat automatic watering idea.... off to the recycle bin to find bits for an experiment......

Ooh! I love that idea for a 'self' watering crock! My bowls for my rabbits are only 16 oz, just ordered some 20 oz, but the lactating does still burn through it before I can get off work, and though DH is home for lunch, his mind is set on food, not my rabbits. I'll hook some up tomorrow to see how long they'll last and whether the does find them good toy material or not. I swear those girls can get quite creative when they're bored!

Thanks!

MamaSheepdog":oun0gjdq said:
Have you seen my gravity fed crocks?

Just hang the bottle so the mouth is at a level where the bowl can't overflow, and it will automatically fill when the rabbit drinks from the bowl.

That, is a brilliant idea. I can tell you that I'm preferring the crocks over the bottles. It's a bit of a nightmare during the winter, but I'm finding the buns are drinking more and their coats are feeling better for it.

Back