hi-pro feed

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xlt

Reaction score
Anyone using Hi-Pro feed? It's a couple bucks cheaper per 50# than the purina I have been using.... but I have to go over the mountains to get it (not as big a deal as it sounds if you're not familiar with El Paso...) but still a drive.

supposedly it's 17% protein instead of the 16 I have been using.

I use a local mill 17% pellet, haven't noticed a big change between that and 16%, but like you said it is cheaper.

cheaper feed but spend more on gas...would you be saving or cutting even? Unless you buy a lot of feed while you're there to cut down on trips. If you have the space to store it, I would do that.

gas is not too bad, the feed store that sells it also carries actual rabbitry supplies as well, cage wire, clips water bottles etc. (at a decent price) whereas the other one carries only the feed.

Also, they sell rabbits there, and are possibly looking for more sources...so probably wouldn't be a bad idea to be a familiar face there.

definitely check it out-- if you are buying LOTS of rabbit suplies, they will realize you are not just a pet owner-- so spend a couple bucks to sell a couple more bucks!

xlt":skc5ynkg said:
Anyone using Hi-Pro feed? It's a couple bucks cheaper per 50# than the purina I have been using.... but I have to go over the mountains to get it (not as big a deal as it sounds if you're not familiar with El Paso...) but still a drive.

supposedly it's 17% protein instead of the 16 I have been using.

The Hi pro is 17%. I use it. Where in EP is the feed store? I'm in Deming but go to EP to visit family and would love to visit a store with lots of rabbit stuff. I could also use some wire since I am building new cages.

It's on Dyer, I guess it would be North of Transmountain on the right. Northeast Feed and Pet Store... Don't buy any rabbits there though... pretty sure I have seen some funky things on them.... I don't know their price on wire, but their prices seem pretty reasonable to me overall.

xlt":2g63907l said:
It's on Dyer, I guess it would be North of Transmountain on the right. Northeast Feed and Pet Store... Don't buy any rabbits there though... pretty sure I have seen some funky things on them.... I don't know their price on wire, but their prices seem pretty reasonable to me overall.

Thats perfect. I have friends and family on the Northeast side. I'll have to look them up next time I'm there. Thanks for the warning about the rabbits. Not looking for any but I won't play with them just so I don't bring anything funky home.<br /><br />__________ Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:32 am __________<br /><br />I went by there yesterday. The 1x1/2" wire was $2.99 per foot and the 1x2 was $1.99 per foot. He had lots of scruffy NZW lookin rabbits. Lots of birds, mice and a chinchilla. I'd never seen one of those before they look like a guinny pig and squirrel got together and had a baby.

they call them Florida Whites if you ask, but I think it is just b/c they are small REW rabbits. I see them all over the place, in fact last time I was there there was a guy in the parking lot with a cage full of rabbits trying to undercut them... he had the same type...

Was the wire nice and thick? Did it state a gauge on it? The Chinchilla was cool I have to admit.

They looked to big to be Florida Whites and to small to be NZWs. The guy told me he buys kits but he wants them at 2-4wks old. Thats to young for me. I told him I had some that were 6wks but he said they were to old. I didn't look at guages on the wire. I really only looked at the 1x1/2in wire and it looked thick enough.

2 weeks is ridiculous... they don't even have the equipment to try to keep them alive at that age... They told me they really only wanted more rabbits if they were dwarfs...don't have any of those. On the positive side, think I have four rabbits sold... so the feed bill will look a bit better this month.

I don't know that they know much about rabbit breeds. He asked what I had and I told him NZW's and he asked if I had the standard or dwarf variety. Dwarf New Zealands?

Back