He's Finally here But Very Young

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alch0my

Reaction score
I got to bring home my little english angora baby the other day. The lady called and said he is ready to pick up ..he is only 4 1/2 weeks old. I asked if that was too early to separate him from mommy, but she said he will be fine. I've always been told they shouldn't be separated until 8 weeks. He's a little guy ..fits right in my hand and very cute. I love his personality. He likes head rubs and loves to cuddle. I think it's hilarious watching him binky across the floor lol. I'm worried about how young he is ..he seems fine but I can't help worrying about him. He is a lilac tort just like his mom. Should I be worried about how young he is?
2013-07-07 22.33.53.png
2013-07-07 22.39.08.png

Here's a pic of him ..it was hard to get a good one cause he wouldn't hold still lol

It is possible that he could be just fine at that age,though most will leave them with mom for up to six weeks then watch them two more weeks to be sure they are dealing well with the stress of leaving mom...just try to minimize stress for him and keep his diet simple for several more weeks. Just watch him carefully to make sure he doesn't stop eating suddenly or doesn't get ill. maybe try adding oats to his food just as a safety precaution, it can help keep them going great :) Grats on your new fluff ball :)

stateside most states have a 8 week minimum age to sell, but that said... 4.5 weeks...should be okay, but i would have been willing to pay a deposit to hold him until 6 weeks old with another $1-2 to keep him there.

maintain on hay and basic pellets for a good couple of weeks.

With a bunny that young, I hope they gave you a supply of whatever food he has been eating. If not, at least try to find out the brand so you can get some; sudden changes are stressful. Grass hay and kitchen oatmeal (the old-fashioned kind) are excellent additional foods for weanling bunnies. He will likely do fine but he is very young so try to avoid additional stresses until he has time to get used to you.

Also, supply a snuggle box for him ... even though it is warm out, a kit that young still cannot regulate it's temperature constantly. With the other recommendations, it should do well. You might also want to dose its water with probiotics once a week or so to help develop the right gut bacteria.

I regularly wean my kits at 4 weeks, but there are other feeds I supply to ease the transition to solids. Don't know how many other breeders practice what I would consider necessary for prevention of weaning enteritis, but there's plenty others disagree with me about LOL

Whatever, love him, pet him, and enjoy your little fluff ball! He should grow up to a wonderful companion!

He stays inside with me. I posted a couple pics for everyone to see. He's so cute and loving. I love how he seeks me out for attention. Im very lucky to have this little guy:)

Latest posts

Back