Help with steel genetics?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LPH_NY

Reaction score
First... I'm looking at a GTS doe. I am told she came out of a Broken Chin mom and a Blue self dad. I *think* I can see how this is possible. If the GTS got a C from daddy, and a chd from mommy, the C overrides, right? To make the difference between the gold of a chestnut and the silver of a chinchilla, right? Is that correct? I know she could have gotten c or ch from mommy instead... but is it possible that she got the chd? If the answer is YES..., then if a kit gets chd from her and chl from the buck, and gets the Es, but not the A (so, aa B_ chd chl D_ Ese) what is the resulting coat color?

Second... that GTS had to have gotten the Es from her dad, who is a self rabbit... because if the mother had Es, she would have actually been a STS, right? BUT... can't a STS look just like a chin in some cases?? Is it possible that what the breeder thinks is a broken chin is actually a broken STS?

Hey. I am not a professional in genetics yet, but as far as I know, aa B_ cchdcchl D_ Ese would likely look like a self due the combination of Es and e, together they mimic self (black I guess in this case). Second, I believe the chin might be STS since many pictures I would swear were Steels/Chins are titlet to be the other thing around. Sorry, I know I'm not of much help, still learning. :)

LPH_NY":1tchvcrk said:
GTS got a C from daddy, and a chd from mommy, the C overrides, right?
Correct.
but is it possible that she got the chd?
Yes it is possible - any info on the colour of her parents or littermates would help narrow it down.
so, aa B_ chd chl D_ Ese) what is the resulting coat color?
This is called a "self chinchilla" and looks self because it has two self genes, in your case the base colour would be black(=black self chin) or possibly blue :D

Your GTS does genotype is
- Aa B_ Cchd (or Cchl or Cch or Cc) Dd Es_
(as long as the breeder got the colours right and the buck isn't a blue gold tipped steel :mrgreen: )

ILSMarki8":1tchvcrk said:
I am not a professional in genetics yet, but as far as I know, aa B_ cchdcchl D_ Ese would likely look like a self due the combination of Es and e, together they mimic self
in this case the rabbit will look self because it is a self :p

What I think you meant was A_ B_ cchdcchl D_ EsEs or Esej or Ese (which is agouti based) could look self black because the steel gene coupled with another steel, harlequin or nonextension can over-ride agouti and mimic self BUT not always - steel is a tricky colour to work with :mrgreen:

Latest posts

Back