help with my netherlands varieties

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bahannahbuns

Reaction score
My 2 most recent Netherland Dwarf litters have been filled with colors I wasn't expecting! Both were bred to the same black otter buck. One of the kits from my tort doe I am not sure of. His fur came in pure white and when he opened his eyes they were blue. My first thought was BEW? Then his nose and tail got darker and he has black tips on his ears. His eyes also turned to a blue-grey, and now they look almost like a light brown. Could he be a sable point? His mom's sire was sable point. I'm not familiar with young sable points and his eye color kinda threw me off. My other thought was maybe it's just smut, making him unshowable. He's almost 6 weeks old.

The other kit from my chestnut doe is only 8 days old. I'm a little curious about this one because it doesn't look like the normal chestnuts I get out of her. I'm guessing chinchilla or steel, although it's stomach is white and it's back almost looks chestnut.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 222
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 222
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 222
I would say just a different shade of chestnut but I am not very familiar with steels. The white one is probably a frosty which covers a variety of gene combinations. The chinchilla gene is known to cause blue coloring to the eye sometimes so I wouldn't count out your buck carrying chinchilla. Sables usually (not always) have brown eyes with a red tint to the eye if you look at them with lots of light or often under camera flash. You could have an agouti frosty with sable genes instead of a chinchilla gene. Starting at around 6-8weeks agouti frosty will get ticking of a single color to the hairs. The amount of ticking and pattern can tell you if it's sable or chinchilla.

akane":3914iv3f said:
I would say just a different shade of chestnut but I am not very familiar with steels. The white one is probably a frosty which covers a variety of gene combinations. The chinchilla gene is known to cause blue coloring to the eye sometimes so I wouldn't count out your buck carrying chinchilla. Sables usually (not always) have brown eyes with a red tint to the eye if you look at them with lots of light or often under camera flash. You could have an agouti frosty with sable genes instead of a chinchilla gene. Starting at around 6-8weeks agouti frosty will get ticking of a single color to the hairs. The amount of ticking and pattern can tell you if it's sable or chinchilla.

Thanks for your help! I'll be selling the little guy cause his colors are just not something I want to work with :lol: also his ears are a little too long for me , as for the parents it will be interesting to see what I get out of them in the future :D

Frosty is agouti based which is not possible with an otter and a tort so the kit is probably a torted marten - either torted sable marten or torted silver marten - I'm leaning towards sable :mrgreen:

The second kit looks like a chinchilla or sable agouti / sable chinchilla - if he's got a lot of brown tones in his fur then sable agouti is more likely

Back