Help with breeding!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alch0my

Reaction score
What colors can I breed to my blue otter? I keep searching the Internet and can't find a good answer. Would a sable point, seal or tort be ok?

Type before color. So if they have great type, go for it. But if you have an option, get a color that will suit it better.

alch0my":2qil6v2n said:
What colors can I breed to my blue otter? I keep searching the Internet and can't find a good answer. Would a sable point, seal or tort be ok?

It really depends on what you want. What is your favorite color or "variety goal?"

Then I would breed to a black or black otter. :) Blue is recessive so if bred to a black rabbit, all the kits will be black (carrying blue) and if the sire is self-black, half the kits should inherit otter color from the dam. :) They will be otters carrying self. :)

Am I right, Dood? (I'm still learning all this, LOL.)

I think you could also get away with breeding to a chocolate, since black is dominant to chocolate, so all the offspring would be black and black otter, carrying chocolate AND dilute. Again, Dood? Check my work, LOL. ;)

So if I breed her with a black buck that would give kits that carry otter? Does that mean to get a black otter I'd breed her with one of her sons? Sorry it's a little confusing to me. I want a black otter so bad! The only ideal color I can find is a black buck.

I think otter is dominant, so at least half of her litter if not her whole litter should be otters. :) If she carries self, then only half the litter will be otter. If she doesn't I think they will all be otter...so I'd for sure get a black buck. :)

Dood, correct me if I'm wrong, please!!!!!

Latest posts

Back