Help Please!!!!!!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

6riversfarms

Reaction score
Three does that are due to kindle within the week are showing hair loss around their faces and necks. They are in separate cages that join end to end in the top tier of one of my cage banks. Out of a few dozen bunnies these are the only ones showing this hair loss so far.

My first thought is mites. Is it to early for mites? We have had some warm days but it is still pretty cool for the most part.

My second thought would be something harassing them.

Any suggestions will be very much appreciated.

IMG_0738.JPG

IMG_0741.jpg

IMG_0742.jpg

I'd say mites or something like a disease. Try to get a clear, close up picture or just use some ivermectin 1% horse paste wormer or ivomec and see if that helps.

It could be mites, or they might be chewing on each other.

I was shocked at the appearance of my Lionhead doe the other day. She looks awful, with patches of hairloss everywhere! I suspected mites as well, until I saw her kits chewing her fur off.

I like to use food grade Diatomaceous Earth on fur mites. One application is all I have ever needed and the fur begins growing within a week.

like this

SS850107-1.jpg
<br /><br />__________ Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:07 pm __________<br /><br />it was the same fungus as athletes foot, a little DE or ACV will take care of it either way.

Are they sitting beside other rabbits? I know I had problems with just wire dividers, they'd squabble between the wire and they'd end up looking like that. Had to put in solid dividers and change a few around to keep them from.

Third picture - the dark rabbit w/ bare patch btwn the eyes. Had a Chocolate Satin look exactly the same the week she kindled. Caught her fighting with the doe in the next pen. Have 1 x 2 wire running horizontal. Put a divider btwn the two pens and the fighting stopped and her hair grew back before the kits were weaned. Only time she's like that is when she has kits. She's fine with me. Just gets very protective / territorial with this one other doe when she has kits.

And I think mites can strike any time of year and at any temp. Yes, they're worse in warmer weather but they're a pest anytime.

skysthelimit":hmimq1di said:
__________ Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:07 pm __________

it was the same fungus as athletes foot, a little DE or ACV will take care of it either way.

ACV= Apple Cider Vinegar?

Thanks for all the replies ya'll. I am begining to suspect that they are fighting through the cages. I examined them all very closely and there are no signs of mites. I am going to apply some ACV for a few days just in case.

Thanks again.

Latest posts

Back