Help me with feeds!!!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alch0my

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me their opinion on these two rabbit feeds?
Which one is a better brand heinolds or penpals. I'm trying to figure out which one to feed my rabbits!

Have you tried using the search option in the menu bar?

I typed in 'Heinold' and got a whole bunch of hits and a entire thread about the feed - post115146.html?hilit=heinold#p115146

The same thing happend when I typed in 'penpals' - post122267.html?hilit=penpals#p122267

Alot of topics have been throughly discussed already you just need to do a little digging to find the answer.

I never thought about that:) Thank you for posting the links ..very helpful!

Hi alch0my,

my friend used to raise Angora rabbits, and she always used the Heinhold wool formula.

I feed a mix of oats, barley and BOSS, as well as hay.

When I fed pellets I used both Manna-Pro Show and the Purina Show Rabbit formula.

I don't know anything about those two feeds, but I just wanted to second Dood's thoughts on the search feature.

In the future, if you do a search, and it gives you no results because the words are too common (it's unfortunately a needed feature, due to bandwidth), you can actually search the site through an external search engine.

In your browser's search box, type "site:rabbittalk.com" then a space, followed by your search terms.

I usually just try to come up with different words, but sometimes I can't type anything in that is not too common, and I use this method. :)<br /><br />__________ Thu May 30, 2013 11:43 am __________<br /><br />I do want to mention, too, that feeds do change composition sometimes. Older threads on a certain feed may not be as valid now as they were at the time.

Especially with prices rising, and manufacturers trying to come up with ways to keep their prices from going up too dramatically, some may have begun substituting cheaper ingredients for the higher-quality ones they used to use.

Occasional "refresher threads" on feeds are probably not a bad idea.

Miss M":3j0n13yu said:
I do want to mention, too, that feeds do change composition sometimes. Older threads on a certain feed may not be as valid now as they were at the time.

Especially with prices rising, and manufacturers trying to come up with ways to keep their prices from going up too dramatically, some may have begun substituting cheaper ingredients for the higher-quality ones they used to use.

Occasional "refresher threads" on feeds are probably not a bad idea.

Good point! They will be cutting corners to keep costs down... either that, or reducing the size of the package, but keeping the price the same.

My feed bill started to get unmanageable a couple of years ago. I had fed Purina and occasionally Manna Pro, but when it started to get to $15 a bag, it was too much. I found a local mill which makes their own... price $9.60 a bag. They use better alfalfa, (pellets will appear more green than gray) and don't use animal fat. The vitamins salt and other stuff is the same as the name brands. Check the tags, sometimes local millers make great feed.

A word of warning though, a local (well known) farm co-op around here makes the worst rabbit pellets that I have ever seen. So compare tags, and check the pellet visually. If they are gray and crumbly, or if the tags don't compare favorably with the name brand feeds, or if they have meat oil or by products in them, you might want to stay away.

The tags on US feed have to be accurate, although not necessarily specific. From what I have heard, Canadian tags are not that well regulated.

That is true, avdpas, that Canadian tags do not necessarily have an ingredients list, but if you email the manufacturer, they will send it to you. That's how I found out that the pellets I was feeding had animal tallow. I very quickly went to natural feeding - this was back around 2007 - and I've never looked back. But it's not for everyone.

Latest posts

Back